Which Auto Would You Buy

ZeroJunk

If you were going to buy a new automatic rifle which would you chose?Remington 750,Browning Bar,or Benelli R1.I am going to see if I can find an after Christmas deal on one of these.

publius

The BAR has always been the finest semi-auto sporter made, in my opinion. But they have discontinued them recently. There are still plenty on the shelves now and I would grab one. The Remington is OK, it just requires a lot of cleaning if anything like it's predecesors, which it has to be. The Benelli is probably a great gun, with their experience making semis, but they're ugly as hell. I would grab the Browning, they have a good time tested track record and are definitely the best looking of the bunch.

tINY

An automatic rifle is a machine gun - I really like the belt-fed ones like the M240 and the HK21...

For semi auto, the AR10 and M1a are nice.

If you are really after a sporting semi-auto that doesn't look funny when you go hunting, the BAR is nice. The Benelli R1 looks like a nice design. Never did like the Rem semi-auto centerfires much.....

-tINY

Fremmer

Browning BAR Safari in .308 Winchester. Classic, polished blue steel with a beautiful, flowing walnut stock in a classic automatic caliber.

Go for it!!! :D

Put it this way: put a Safari on the counter next to a Benelli and a Woodmaster. You'll see what I mean. :cool:

JScott72

I have always liked the looks of the Remingtons, but have never met anyone or shot one that even shot decently, don't know why. On the other hand most of the BARs I know of shoot pretty well and are not known for the finicky reliability of the Remingtons. I don't know anything about the Benellis so I can't help you there.

ZeroJunk

I found a local Remington 742 in 243Win. that a man had bought for his wife years ago.Looks new.Has a vintage 3X9 Redfield and a fancy all leather padded sling.I bought it for $400.Seems like a fair price for both of us.Will be interesting to see whether or not it shoots well and does not jam.I will find an owners manual to determine the proper way to clean the action.Never had a high power semi-auto before.I would rather have had a BAR but they are basically twice as much,even used.

Clayfish

The BAR has always been the finest semi-auto sporter made, in my opinion. But they have discontinued them recently.

The Browning website still lists them and has several models to chose from. I certainly don't think they would discontinue such a high selling firearm. they did however discontinue the BPR a few years back.

TPAW

I also believe you can't get the BAR with a wood stock, only synthetic?:mad: Rats, I wanted the one that has sights on it in wood! I believe it's the lightweight stalker?.............:(