Which Auto Shotgun for IPSC Standard?

Para Bellum

Hi Folks!

Which Autoloading Shotgun would/do you use/recommend for IPSC Standard (3-Gun-Matches)?

Thanks and stay safe,
PB

lmccrock

The FN Mark 1 would be the choice among the SLP models. An 1100 Remington Tactical; mine is an 1100 Competition Master, which is no longer made but turns up used sometimes. Of course most of the top shooters use Benelli, but they cost more.

Just to be sure - IPSC? Or USPSA? Some rules differences, and in the USA, USPSA does not dominate 3-gun rules.

Regardless, these guys do all of the above.

Lee

ltdave

i use a remington 1100 with a choate 10rd mag tube...

my buddy has an M1 super90 and a remington. he shoots the remington because hes had better luck with it (operational wise). hes very meticulous in the way he maintains his firearms so its not a maintenance issue. the benelli just doesnt run as good for him...

LanceOregon

I would say get a Winchester Super X3, as they have an updated and improved action and gas system over the FN SLP shotguns that you are looking at, which use the same action that the Winchester Super X2 shotguns used.

Just add a Briley magazine extension tube to the gun, and you will be all set. Briley makes tubes that will increase the normally 4 round magazine capacity of the SX3 to 6, 8, or even 10 rounds. With one additional round in the chamber, that is an awful lot of firepower. These are not at all expensive, and run from $75 to $85 to buy. And they install very easy, without any tools.

The Patrick Flanigan Super X3 Competition model would be one awesome shotgun to use:

511084l.jpg

lmccrock

Not sure I would recommend an 1100 unless you come across a deal, or you like keeping lots of spare parts. I got one because my competition-oriented smith recommended it, but he is all Benelli now. If an 1100 out performs a Benelli, there is something seriously wrong with the Benelli, either ammo, or useage (its inertial system has some limitations).

Before buying a gun, figure out exactly which game, because there are some rules differences. USPSA says you cannot load more than 8 + 1 at start in the gun (10+1 in Open), but if it holds more, no problem. Some matches (Fort Benning and Larue, for example) say the gun cannot hold more than 8 in the magazine. Not sure about IPSC Standard.

Saigas get used some; their supporters are dedicated. They get modified more than your average shotgun. And it looks like there is some hate for them as well. For instance, without a mag change, it is hard for Saigas to swap ammo mid run, like when a match requires a slug in the middle of a bunch of birdshot targets. And at the Larue match there was a rule: "You may not load a slug until one birdshot has been fired" so the tactic of pre-loading a mag with a slug in a known position could not be used. But I still want one. ;)

Lee

tgford58

Used a bunch of different guns but settled on the FN Mark 1. Feels to have the most controlled recoil, transitions well and just plain works. Saiga's are appearing more and more but the price tag difference is a factor - nobody shoots a stock Saiga that I know of.

poortrader

I have the Winchester Flanigan SX3 with a +4 Nordic extension that I use for 3-gun. The only problem that I have is that I can't reload fast enough.