Which ammo would you choose for hunting

1tfl

If you had to choose one of the following ammo for hunting medium size animal like deer/hog/cougar which would you think would be most effective?

1. 357 Magnum - 175gr Keith Style SWC @ 1,300 fps out of a S&W 586

2. 44 Special - 250gr Keith Style SWC @ 1,000 fps out of a S&W 24

3. 45ACP - 200gr H&G Style SWC @ 925 fps out of a Colt Government Model

4. 45 Colt - 260gr Keith Style SWC @ 900 fps out of a S&W 25 Mountain Gun

Which do you choose?

Pahoo

Just one ???

Wow, if you are going to limit me to just one, then I'd have to go with the .44Mag. I have taken deer with all except the .45acp. However, it is a legal option, here in Iowa. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Shotgun693

I've taken deer with the .357, the .45 ACP and .45 Colt.
My first choice is the .45 Colt with the .357 a very close second.
My .45 Colt load was a WW Silvertip which I found lacking.
I use a 200 gr RNFP at 950 fps, only because that's what I shoot at SASS Matches.
In the .357 I use a 150 gr RNFP at 1400 fps.

Japle

.45 Colt - 260gr Keith Style SWC @ 900 fps out of a S&W 25 Mountain Gun.

That's my choice. I was pig hunting yesterday and had to shoot through some pretty dense brush to hit the 160 lb boar. I was using a 230 gr XTP at around 880 fps out of a S&W 625. Two shots, two good hits, but neither bullet expanded. They both went all the way through and were found just under the skin on the far side. The first one deformed a little when it broke the upper leg bone. It still penetrated the body. I could load the 2nd one and shoot it again.

Go big and heavy. You just might need that extra size and weight.

Shotgun693

Also, I was disappointed with the .45 ACP because it tended not to penetrate especially if it hit bone. The .45 Colt WW ST would expand as big as a silver dollar if it hit heavy bone but then stop right there.

Mobuck

I vote for the 44 Sp but the 357 is a close second. I've killed deer with both and both made a hole on both sides.

stevelyn

4. 45 Colt - 260gr Keith Style SWC @ 900 fps out of a S&W 25 Mountain Gun

My vote is for the .45 Colt, but you could flip a coin between it and the .44 Special load on your list and have the same performance.

bossman

45 Colt is my favorite hunting round for hand guns. I think any of the listed would work, so I'd take the one that you shoot the best with.

1tfl:

I would choose the 44 magnum; However, I shot a boar with my Smith & Wesson 625, 45 ACP loaded with Hornady 200 grain XTP' loaded to 1020 feet per second. I was hunting with dogs so my shot was at point blank range. The bullet hit the boar at the base of its neck and ranged diagonally for about twelve inches stoping between the ear and the jaw bone on the off side. The bullet took out about three inched of neck bone during its travel.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Cifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited:

Leo777

I rather to use 357 Magnum - 175gr Keith Style SWC @ 1,300 fps

I rather to use 357 Magnum - 175gr Keith Style SWC @ 1,300 fps out of a S&W 586 because that power of penetration and 45 acp could be the last choice! 45 acp doesn’t have power of penetration at all. I am tired to use it hunting hog and immediately hit any bond it stop right there. I don’t like 45 acp no even for self defense, I rather 9 mm. But that’s my personal opinion! :p

Daryl

Any of them should work fine, used within each's limitations.

I'm partial to the .45 Colt, and the listed load will shoot through a broadside deer without any trouble out to 100 yards or so.

Nothing at all wrong with the .357 or .44 load, either.

The .45 ACP load uses a light-for-caliber bullet that might give less-than-desireable results on heavier critters, but it's work on medium deer just fine at closer ranges.

Daryl