Which 9x18mm?

Red_Eagle

Which is the better pistol? The Bulgarian Makarov or Czech CZ-82? I'm seeing both on gun broker in the $3-400 range.

Ricklin

CZ-82

I have no experience with the Bulgi Mak, the CZ 82 is an excellent pistol. One can do far better than 3-400 bucks on one tho. The CZ-82 is one of the best buys out there. Ammo is cheap and available, good capacity, reasonably concealable, and very accurate. The DA trigger pull is very good for a mil-surp.

raftman

J&G apparently got a batch of Bulgarian Maks in and is pricing them at $260. AIM also has some for $10 more. There's upsides to each gun. It ultimately is a question of concealability vs. capacity.

The Bulgarian Makarov is smaller, lighter, more concealable. It's also extremely reliable, durable, simple, and quite accurate too. Has an 8+1 ammo capacity.

The CZ-82 is as reliable, durable and accurate, but a good deal more complex in terms of parts. Its size makes it more difficult to conceal. 12+1 ammo capacity, though.

Red_Eagle

The makarov is sounding really good. This will be mainly a carry gun. I've heard the 82 is finished with laquer. The mak is regualr blueing, correct?

bdb benzino

The Mak would be a great chioce if you plan to conceal carry.
I have an E. German and I love it, and still carry it often.
It is the only semi-auto I have ever heard is as reliable as a revolver.:cool:

Alot of people will tell you to go for the CZ for the extra capacity, I like the Mak because it is a single stack and is very slim. The CZ is a great choice, but if you like slim, reliable, accurate, and a breeze to shoot, then look no further than a Mak.:D

Here's mine!!
Picture of my model 10 009.jpg

AcridSaint

I like them both, you won't be unhapy with either. $400 is too much in my opinion.

For what it's worth, the CZ is quite slim for a double stack pistol. The frame is relieved so that the grips sit in it and slim it up nicely. The weights of the pitsols are also similar.

christcorp

Have had 3 makarovs. Russian, Bulgarian, and E. German. (Only have the e. german left). I think all 3 are FANTASTIC.

However, I think the CZ-82 is a MUCH BETTER weapon. The Czechs didn't mind keeping the caliber when the soviet union was controlling these countries. But they definitely wanted to make their own gun. And they definitely made a BETTER gun. Spend the $200-$220 for a CZ-82. If you want to get the Makarov later, that's cool. But if I could only have one of the 2, it would be the Czech CZ-82. Stronger, better built, 12 round magazine (Not that important to me, but definitely to some people). Can handle hotter ammo. (Czechs had their own, I have some. Hard to get here for liability purposes. Too many people tried using it in P64 and similar). Overall, the CZ-82 is the better gun.

Chesster

Both are good. If you like to tinker, remember the MAK has 30+ parts and the CZ has about 5 times the number of parts, much more complex. The Mak is easier to accessorize.

bdb benzino

However, I think the CZ-82 is a MUCH BETTER weapon. The Czechs didn't mind keeping the caliber when the soviet union was controlling these countries. But they definitely wanted to make their own gun. And they definitely made a BETTER gun. Spend the $200-$220 for a CZ-82. If you want to get the Makarov later, that's cool. But if I could only have one of the 2, it would be the Czech CZ-82. Stronger, better built, 12 round magazine (Not that important to me, but definitely to some people). Can handle hotter ammo. (Czechs had their own, I have some. Hard to get here for liability purposes. Too many people tried using it in P64 and similar). Overall, the CZ-82 is the better gun.

This is all good but it is completely YOUR opinion, and you know what those are like.:D

Now while I love the Mak, I wont let my emotions come to play an say it is WAY better built with some magic steel. The fact is they are both great pistols and different people like different styles. Try both and see what works for you.

I am under the impressinon that they are close to equals, do you have anything to prove that the CZ82 is soo much better built??

christcorp

You are correct that they are so close. People trying to debate which is better is like asking is Ferrari better than Lamborghini. The cz-82 is heavier, more steel, and stronger built. It handles more rounds than a normal Makarov. Sights are better. The Makarov is a little thinner. Has a drop down safety, but the CZ has no problem lowering the hammer. It has a safety. The original Czech 9x18 ammo, replacing the 7.62x25 tokarev cz-52, was 109 and 115 grain. It was/is quite a bit more powerful than the traditional 90-95grain. Can't really find 100-115 ammo any longer. I think both guns are fantastic. I own them both. I've owned 3 makarovs. The makarov is simpler in construction, but I think the cz-82 is better built.

4INCHSMITH

If you like to tinker, remember the MAK has 30+ parts and the CZ has about 5 times the number of parts, much more complex.

Awe, come on, it only has 55... not counting the four pieces for the magazine.:D

Anyway, I started carrying my CZ 82 a couple weeks ago. I find it a little heavy but not uncomfortable, and I shoot it very well to boot. The finish on it is flaking and just generally ugly, but it's a strong and well made pistol. I had to file the hole that the magazine catch engages in the mag a little to get it to actually stay in the gun when inserted though (should have caught that when I bought it:eek:). After that it has been perfectly reliable. For a little more dough than a Hi-Point:barf:, you get a fine firearm that I would recommend to anyone.
Added bonus, it fits almost perfectly into an Uncle Mikes J frame pocket holster that I have for my S&W 649.