• CZ-75

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • EAA Witness

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Taurus PT92/99

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

logansdad

I am currently looking for a 9mm pistol. Would prefer to keep the price down (got other guns to buy), so value counts - no P7M13's - bummer. I have narrowed it down to these choices. Vote and give me some information on why you chose what you did. THANKS!!

hansolo

9mm of choice/CZ 75B

Hi, Logansdad!

I am not an expert(like some on TFL are:rolleyes: )and I also have to watch the budget. I tried a lot of 9mm pistols and decided on a CZ 75B for my first semi-auto. I've had S&W wheel guns, and finally decided I needed a "self-loader". The first one I tried was a buddy's Browning High-Power 9mm: I loved it! Tried many others, including Glock, H&K, Sig, Ruger, S&W, Springfield 1911 in 9mm: ironically, when I first spied a CZ 75 in a rental case at an indoor range, I thought it was a Browning. I put about 150 rounds through it and, even as a newbie, felt(and still do)this CZ is very similar to the High-Power, at less than half the price. I've had it for about 6 mos. and still love it! It is easy to strip and clean and is a true natural aim shooter. The only change I've made is Hogue rubber wraparound front-groove grips. Plus, I've gotten a few extra mags and Wolff extra power magazine and recoil springs(just to see if they improve the pistol...they do. Try a bunch before you buy!:D

spleenandideal

I would've voted SIG 228 or KahrK9 but wasn't on list. I chose the CZ75 because, IMHO, for the money the best pistol for the buck. Mine happens to be the most accurate 9mm I own.

Only downsides: Non-ambi safety (I'm lefty) and kinda large, so not too comfy to use for CCW.

Changes I made with the CZ75 include removing the mag release plate and replacing the thumbshelf grips with the CZ factory black plastics without shelves.

BigD

Well, I voted for the SIG because I think it's the best gun on the list...

However, with price as a concern (as posted), I would rank them in the following order of preference.

SIG P239
High Power
CZ75
Witness/Taurus (whichever "fits" better)

Personally, I would likely get the CZ75 if I couldn't find a great deal on either the SIG or BHP.

Good luck!

Claywms

Take a good look at the Ruger 9's also, the P89 and the P95. Good quality, not pretty, stone cold reliable and rather affordable. I have a P95 that is a real keeper. Standard capacity mags can still be had at a fair price.

kdmoore

You've picked some good ones....

I used to think that CZ's were the best value pistol, but I'm thinking the HP clones are even better. Usually give up some fit/finish and maybe the trigger isn't quite as good. Trigger can be fixed (if it is bad at all). I think the HP is more easily customized if you want to do that later. Best ergonomics of the group (for me anyway) and 17 rd hi caps easy to get.

Don't know too much about the others listed. Only EAA I ever handled had a poor trigger. Sig's in another price class (about the same as hp-non clone). Never even handled a Taurus

logansdad

Thanks for the replies so far...

Have owned 1-2 S&W autoloaders in the past and have never cared for them. Hence, they are not on the list.

The P239 is within my budget, but not many of the other Sigs, save the SigPro, which I have held and do not care for.

A decent Hi Power would be nice, but a clone (FEG, Argentine FN, etc.) might be nicer from a $$$ standpoint.

I have a compact Witness in 10mm, which I use for CCW quit a bit, so I have a fondness for this gun. Plus, cocked and locked is an option.

As the Witness is a CZ knock-off, I thought the CZ75 would be a logical choice. Don't know about operational modes on this gun though. Is Condition One available on this sidearm?

The Taurus interests me since I owned a PT101 several years ago. Cheap, plentiful, full capacity mags are available for this gun and it offers Condition One as an operating mode.

Keep the opinions (and votes) coming!!!

flinch_of_gt

Your list is interesting because you include a slimline compact (Sig P239) in a list composed of full-size double-stack autoloaders.

If you are looking for a general purpose/plinking pistol, I would recommend the CZ-75B. It's an extremely accurate, reliable, and underrated pistol. The '75 has a smooth DA/SA trigger and the ability to be carried Condition 1. You can't lower the hammer via the safety; you have to lower it manually, like a 1911. The CZ-75BD is a decocker-only version that operates much like the SigSauer line of handguns. If you're comfortable with SA, consider the CZ-75 SA, which operates exactly like a BHP.

I have a Sig P239, and it's best suited for concealed carry rather than general use. I think it's the hardest-kicking pistol in my collection, and I usually can shoot about 100 rounds before I tire of the recoil. I am unusually accurate out of my 239, which makes absolutely no sense to me. It has the shortest sight radius, the most recoil, and the worst trigger out of my 9mm pistols.

CZ_

^My Sig P239 is a gem. Its never malfunctioned (yet its fired over 3,500 rounds approx), has great triggers in both SA and DA, and its super accurate (much more accurate than MOST full sized pistols). However, I do admit that for a 9mm it does have LOTS of muzzle flip/recoil. Its not the quickest 9mm out there for follow up shots.

Of all the choices on the list, I'd recommend the CZ 75B. The accuracy is amazing, and the all steel construction provides better balance, better recoil control, and longer life than alloy.

DAL

Man, what a tough choice, not that I have any experience with anything on your list except for the CZ75B (actually, mine's a BD model). It's funny you should mention the SIG P239--I just handled one at the gun store today while picking up my S&W 625-8 4" .45 ACP revolver; I think I've found the next handgun I'll buy...someday.

Getting back to the CZ75B, they ARE pretty good guns. Even though I have smallish hands, I can reach the trigger just fine, although I wish I could find extra-slim grip panels for it. My gun is accurate and it has NEVER (so far) had a feeding problem with about 600 rounds of ball through it (I know, I know, that's not many rounds compared to what some guns shoot).

One complaint I have about it is the three-dot sight system--I don't like it. For me, it's too slow for IDPA shooting (and I don't need any help with being slower). A bar-and-dot system would be faster, and I am going to try to rig one up using black and white paint...someday. Right now, I am more interested in my rekindled love for revolvers. Hence, the S&W 625.
DAL

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I too, would have voted on the Sig P228; but I didn't
find it on your "approved list". So, I wound up voting
for the Browning Hi-Power (no clones, please!).Second
choice would be a CZ75B, and the Sig P239 would come
in third.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

70-101

I carry the Sig 239 in 9mm,

I own and carry many different Sig's,but the 239 is one of my favorite's.I really like the way it handle's,it's reliability is amazing.I have over 1,800 round's through with out a problem.I installed the Hogue soft rubber grip's with finger groove's and love it.It's one of the finest Handgun's in the world in my opinion.And you can't beat the modern 9mm as a very cost effective round for Personal Defense.The balance of the 239 and overall performance is hard to beat.Not to menton,it's smooth decocking lever and very smooth 10lb trigger in DA. and 5lb.trigger in single action.

KEN CHAVEZ

I have a Sig P-239 and love it! The first Sig I bought was a Sig P-229, I sold the gun becouse I liked the P-239 more than the P-229. There wasn't anything wrong with the P-229, it was a great gun, I just liked the P-239 better.

HKP7PSP

I would have to say to get a Glock 19 or Sig P228 or Sig P225. I don't really like my P239 and the others -- nope. A HiPower would be good if it was not a clone, but they are over $600 I think. Don't get a clone no matter what.

newbird

9MM?

GET EITHER A GLOCK 19 OR A KAHR K9. BOTH NICE, I HAVE OWNED BOTH, IF YOU LIKE SOME WEIGHT TO YOUR PISTOL GO WITH KAHR, IT IS ACCURATE AND VERY RELIABLE, IF YOU WANT LIGHTER, GO WITH G19, ITS LIGHT , ACCURATE AND RELIABLE. ALSO, THE KAHR DON'T HOLD AS MANY ROUNDS AS GLOCK
;)

logansdad

Further comments...

Keep 'em coming.

FWIW, I am not necessarily looking for another CCW gun, but the one I buy must be able to fulfill this role if called upon to do so.

For those who question the exclusion of the other Sigs, I'm usually looking for NIB, so the P239 is about the only one in my price range of ~$500. Of course, this caveat would most likely NOT apply to a Hi Power unless it's a clone.

Not really interested in another Glock, as I have a G32 now. I've got a .40S&W barrel and G23 magazines for it and can covert this gun to 9mm at will with another barrel and a few G19 magazines.

As you may have deduced, I am a big fan of Condition One. The Witness, CZ, Taurus, and BHP offer this capability. However, I'm considering the P239 because I have shot my FIL's P239 and was very impressed by it. Thus, the only DA auto in the choices.

I'm looking for something different than what I've already got in my meager collection. The exception to this statement would be the Witness since I already own one. I like it so much that I would consider another in 9mm. I would just buy a top-end conversion from EAA but, unfortunately, the 10mm Witness frame allows conversion to .38Super or .45ACP but not 9x19.

HKP7PSP

Sounds like you should get a HiPower. I did buy mine used for $400. Later I sent it to Robar and had nice sights put on it, and some NP3. It is super nice. Some of them have funky sights and heavy triggers but I have no doubt that you can find one that needs no changes and is in perfect condition for under $500.