Which 9mm for target?

topspin43

I am currently competing in a bowling league (50 feet) and using my Buckmark/red dot combo. I use this pistol because I am most accurate with it. My other handguns (listed below) all have fixed sights. Most fellow shooters use some type of optics mounted on either revolvers or "rigged up" on their 9s and 45s. Problem is that the .22 just don't have enough oomph to knock over multiple pins with a single shot. The boys with the .45s are knocking down (actually blowing away) all 10 with 5-6 shots... I need 10 direct hits!

Which 9mm do you recommend that is easily fitted with a Red Dot or small pistol scope? Do they make a sight mount for my Beretta or CZ? I would LOVE a reason to buy a new pistol!:D

Suggestions? I'm tired of getting my butt kicked by guys that are 30 years my senior! (I'm 51):eek:

stephen426

It realy depends how much money you want to spend. STI makes some incredible 1911s chambered in 9mm. They have some that have mounts for optical sights already. 9mm is still a little on the weak side though.

One gun I am seriously considering is the Springfield Trophy Match. It seems to be a pretty good price for what it offers. I'm sure you could mount an optical sight on that as well. I'm betting it is much faster to knock down all the pins with a few well placed shots compared ot one shot for each pin. Basically, like in real bowling, you get pin action. The momentum from the heavy .45 acp will knock the pin you hit into the other pins, bringing them down. With the .22, you pretty much have to hit the top of the pins to bring them down.

rhgunguy

A few years ago CZ had a deal that came with a doctor sight already mounted. If you can find one of those on gun broker you would be ready to roll.

Glocks are also fairly easy to mount optics on. Glockmeister has a mount that attaches to the tac rail and comes up and over. The benifit there is that if you don't like the caliber you can sell the gun and get another.

topspin43

.45s are out of the question... couple hundred rounds of that blows my ammo budget. That's why I'm thinking 9mm.

Actually a .22 hit ANYWHERE on the pin knocks it down but in slow motion!

I need a 9mm with a drop on optic. I know it's out there.

Kermit

A few summers ago, I found some old bowling pins at a garage sale and used them till they all fell apart. If you're going 9mm, that Beretta & CZ of yours would make great tools for the job. If you're considering buying a gun to dedicate to this, I'd go w/ a Glock 34 w/ optic ;)
Have fun!

T. O'Heir

"...with the .45s are knocking down (actually blowing away) all 10 with 5-6 shots..." No they aren't. It can sound like it though. Even with a 230 grain .45 cal bullet, you have to hit the pin right or it won't go off the table. You certainly won't take 10 pins off with 5 or 6 shots. Sometimes you can get lucky and have a spinning pin hit the pin next to it hard enough to get it rolling off the table, but not often.
A 9mm's 121 or 125 grain bullet isn't powerful enough to reliably take a pin off the table when hit anywhere. There are 9mm pin matches too, but the pins are placed on the table farther back.
If ammo cost is an issue, you need to reload. Cast 230 grain RN's or Flat Points will take the pin off the table and won't cost you the rent/mortgage money to reload. Pins don't need particularly hot ammo.
Optical sights won't help much either. You'll still have to hit the pin right.
Pin matches using a .22 have different rules. You usually on need to knock the pin over.

krieger11b

If budgeting wasen't an issue a 10mm would be blow those things away. Of course with a 44 magnum you might be able to do it in 1 or 2 shots :eek:

stephen426

Hell, if you are going to go that route, why not jump up to the .50 AE or .500 S&W? I bet I can take down all 10 pins (and maybe everyone elses) with a bazooka! :D That might be cheathing though. ;)

rhgunguy

I think he is talking about bowling where you mearly have to knock the pins over as opposed to bowling pin shoots where you have to knock it off the table.

JoeHatley

Which 9mm do you recommend that is easily fitted with a Red Dot or small pistol scope?

952_l_d.jpg

But for a Pin Gun, you may want to consider a .45

625_Vcomp_l.jpg

Good Luck...

Joe