which one would you choose ?

• Cor Bon

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Federal Hydra Shok

Votes: 43 79.6%

• Total voters

Renfield

Cor Bon's 45ACP +P 230 GR. JHP 950 FPS/461FTLBS or
Federal's Hydra Shok standard pressure 230 GR. JHP 890 FPS/404FTLBS (sorry I couldn't find a +P version on Federal's website)

basically would you choose Cor Bon or Federal Hydra Shok ?

Syntax360

Hydra-Shok if I HAD to pick, but for my money you won't find either in my USPc .45. I prefer Gold Dot (trying out Double Tap right now), Winchester Ranger, or Federal Hi-Shok Tactical (HST).

Lou22

I agree with Syntax360: Double Tap, Rangers or HST. Hydro-shoks are good but old technology (I was using them for SD 15 years ago). I've never tried Corbon, I get put off by their high price. I can get 50 round boxes of Double Tap or Ranger for less money.

Lou

Last edited:

Renfield

I was using them for SD 15 years ago

so was I, I still like the Hydra Shok :) Mr Burczynski is a genius

If the name Tom Burczynski is not familiar, you are either a newcomer or not paying attention. Burczynski is the designer of the Hydra-shok bullet that, in 1985, started a real revolution in defensive handgun ammunition. It's become the standard against which all others are measured, making Burczynski, arguably, the most influential bullet designer of the 20th century.

nagantfan

Cor-Bons have great terminal ballistics, but they just don't shoot as straight for me out of my .45's as the Federals do.

Ares45

Neither.

Hydro-shocks are a thing of the past. They have a nasty habbit of plugging when the encounter glass windshields, denim or down clothing, drywall, etc. CorBons won't group worth a crap in any of my pistols. They also kick like a mule making follow up shots difficult.

Speer Gold Dots. 230gr in fullsize guns. 185gr in shorter barrels.

VirgilCaine

+1
Commander loaded with 230gr Hydro-Shok. Very accurate and reliable.

There might be a handload out there that performs the same or better. Practicing with premium/ top shelf ammo can make a dent in your folding money.

Hal

Hydra-Shoks might be old technology,,,but what the heck,,,,I'M old technology so I guess it's a decent fit...
P.S. The Colt .45 (old technology name for a 1911) I have stuffed full of Hydra-Shoks is considered old technology too ;)

Renfield

that reminds me

I remember back before "Desert Shield/Storm" Haiti was in the news and the reporters were saying that Haitian troops were still armed with the obselete (they stessed obselete) Garand rifles...I'd like to have one of those "obselete" rifles