Which .45 Do You Guys Recommend?

Kawabuggy

I have finally gotten the itch to own a .45ACP.

I have been looking at the different models and quite frankly the more models I look at the more confused I get. My budget is about $550.

I like the Kimbers-even though some of them appear to be a little more "pimped out" than my tastes, and also their price tag puts them out of reach.

I like the looks of the Wilson Combat, but again-price is out of my reach.

Of the guns I have looked at, that I could actually afford, here is the list:
Taurus
Rock Island Armory
Para Ordinance
???

I read an advert on the Taurus that said it comes with many of the "match" parts that people generally add after purchase. It would make sense to purchase one of those and save money on upgrades later IF they truly come with anything that makes them better than the others.

I really like the looks of the Rock Island Armory Satin nickel frame & slide, with black (blued) accents (sights, trigger, hammer & safety).

Oh yea, the gun will be used for general plinking at the range, a side arm for when I am hog hunting, and I might carry it concealed at times in lieu of one of my other carry guns.

Just wondering if there are others I should be looking at before I plunk down my hard earned cash. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. What I am really wanting opinions on is the best gun (quality, accuracy, appearance) for the money.

jhansman

Are you confining your choices to the 1911? If so, your list looks good (especially the new RIA). If not, I'd look at the XD45. It's an excellent pistol, within your budget, and available.

Boarhunter

Though I do not own one, I have handled and fired three different Taurus 1911 .45s and found them uniformly to be both accurate and reliable. These were all new guns, and my exposure to them limited, but I am impressed with what I saw.

Boarhunter

Van55

In that price range, I think your best bets for a reliable, rugged and accurate gun are probably Glock, Springfield Aromory and CZ. That's based on what I have read rather than personal experience.

When I got the itch for a .45 I opted for an H&K USPc, but it was a couple hundred more than your budget.

Of course almost every manufacturer has its devotees (and detractors), so getting objective advice is pretty difficult.

NAKing

How about a Springfield 1911?

This one is in your budget. After a while I had the trigger upgraded along with some new Kimber Tac-Mags. I also made some wood grips for it to add a personal touch. It's a great shooter, and accurate enough for a non-bullseye competitor!

This picture is after upgrades:

1911GINew.jpg

1 magazine - 25 yards on a machine rest = 2.129" grouping

1911New15Rest.jpg

My friend owns a Taurus 1911. If his is an accurate representation of what they're producing (which I think it is), then it's a good gun too. I'm sort of a "simple and elegant" kind of guy, so it just wasn't to my liking with all those extras.

Last edited:

Dustin0

I have been very happyy with my Para P10. I have also been looking at getting a full sized model so.

Kawabuggy

Sorry, forgot to mention that I am looking for 1911 style, with a 5" barrel.

I own several plastic guns already, and want a .45 that has no plastic on it.

attila787

I'd go with an XD....It's a nice pistol and if you look around you can find one used for a great price.

Also if your hands are small which is my problem. You'll find that the XD .45 grips are rather slim compared to other pistols in .45.

jcrim007

i too am having the "itch" for a 1911. but i would like to buy a base/low end version that I can customize. in my searches i have found the springfield GI45 a good starter, but i also consider rock island stuff too.

i have not pulled the trigger on the purchase yet...

lomaxanderson

Rock Island Arms ...on your list

but perhaps you should look at springfield ...very nice product and great service after the sale....my .02

Sturmgewehre

Yup, I would check out Springfield 1911's in that price range. You can add to them as time goes on and they are probably one of the top base guns for customization.

NYPD13

For your budget I would definately look into Springfield Armory. For my first 45 I wanted a 1911 and also had a budget around $500. My choices were Rock Island Armory, Charles Daly, and Springfield who had just introduced the GI model. I bought a Springfield GI45 high cap as it was the only high capacity 45 for the price and accepts Para Ordinace 13 round mags. Its one of my favorite pistols and has proven itself among 1911's costing twice as much.

Old Gaffer

Take a GOOD look at the Taurus

I bought a Taurus PT1911, used, with four mags for $450.

Here's ten shots off hand (that's ONE HANDED) at 25 yards, no rest. I'd only had the gun a very short while when I shot this target.

The eight shots in the middle are 2-1/4" center to center; I know I blew the outer two shots when I let them off. It's a shame there's no "undo" in target shooting ;)

1streloads-1.jpg
[/IMG]

All the best,
Rob

guitarwes

The Taurus 1911's are a tough gun for the price. And as Old Gaffer pointed out with his shot target, they are pretty accurate right outta the box. The 1911AR is solid with the Tac Rail built on. You can spend alot on the big 3 (Kimber, Springfield, Smith), but you ain't gonna get no better shootin' from them.

SilentHitz

Rock Island Tactical would be my choice.
Mine also, I have 2 and both run fine. Cost me $430 shipped for each of them...hard to beat for the $$.:cool:

DSCF0016.jpg

You can't go wrong with a springer either...comes down to personal choice.