Which .357 Load for S&W Titanium Snub?

FLA2760

:confused: Hi All
I am going to be purchasing a S&W model 360 with the 1 7/8" barrel in .357. This model has the titanium cylinder and weighs in at 12 ounces. I know that many shooters carry .38 + P rounds in the snub .357 but I will not one of them. What would be a good personal defense load with the stock grips? I may upgrade the grips at a later date. I thank you for your input.

Steve

MillCreek

I have no suggestions, but I have noted that many of the titanium or scandium revolvers recommend .357 bullet weights of 125 grains or greater. Using lesser bullet weights can apparently accelerate cylinder face and forcing cone erosion by flamecutting.

denfoote

Also make sure it is full metal jacket ammo!!

The crimp on semi jacketed rounds is not strong enough to hold the remaining bullets in their cartridges during recoil!!

You should also have a bullet weight limitation printed on your barrel!!

Any magnum loading within that limitation should be fine!!

I have a steel Taurus snub and I load it with 125gr Corbons.

I feed my Smith 28 158gr Gold Dots!!
I would not recommend you feed yours those!!

Realistically, you may find out why your mommy told you to drink all your milk all those years ago!! ;) :p

CarbineCaleb

.357 Mag Loads for a small/light revolver

Proload makes a "Tactical Lite" .357 Magnum round that uses a 125gr Gold Dot bullet at 1125fps, 351 ft-lb. That should be about as gentle as a .357 Magnum load gets, and uses the terrific Gold Dot bullets. It's just about equal to a standard pressure 9mm load with the 124 gr bullet, and there is nothing at all wrong with that. :D

The next step up from that is probably the Remington Golden Saber in .357 Magnum, which is also a 125gr bullet, at 1220fps, 413 ft-lb. It's just about equal to a +P pressure 9mm load with the 124 gr bullet.

Last edited:

juliet charley

I'm pretty sure ProLoad is no more so you may be out of luck there.

Isn't the 360 one of the models they've had trouble with the recoil actuating the internal lock?

You might want to have a look at the new Speer Gold Dot .357 Magnum short barrel load since it's at least theoreticallly designed for short barrels. Another option might be the 145-grain Silvertip.

WESHOOT2

Pro Load is gone, but still Thank You Mr. K.

You will need to test for yourself when you actually acquire the gun.

You can say whatever you want before you try full-power 357 ammo in it but you may decide otherwise after you try that. :eek:

Reliability: first, it must go bang. Then it must deliver the projectile where you've aimed it. Then some other stuff, but remember that "follow-up shots" is part of the real-world equation, 'cause BG's don't just automatically drop over after ventilation; know what I mean?

And for you serious-wheel wearers, check your ammo to ensure you're not pulling the bullet forward during recoil, because it CAN jam your gun, and that's bad.
Gotta test.

juliet charley

Another thing with these little boomers is they take a lot of practice to maintain a minimum level proficiency (and you're not going to maintain proficiency practicing with 148-grain wadcutters and carrying full-bore .357 Magnums). One question will be can you (and that little lightweight revolver) take 100 (or more) rounds of full-bore .357 Magnum) every month? Does your medical insurance cover nerve damage to your hand (and what will you carry while you're recovering from the carpal tunnel surgery)? :)

100W_Warlock

Pleasure or pain?

Well, from my 3" ruger GP100, I use Speer Gold Dots.

I have a bud with a light weight Taurus Tracker...7 shots of those and he is looking for something else to shoot at the range.

Federal American Eagle JSP 158gr magnums are the hottest factory rounds I have found.

The 125 Rem GS 257 mag loads I have used were brutal...I don't like shooting them.

IMHO, Speed Gold Dots are the best comprimise between cost/performance/primer sensitivity.

You can always load your own and tailor it to your own preference. (just use Speer cases and Gold Dot bullets and Fed primers...nobody will be the wiser)

CarbineCaleb

The 125 Rem GS 257 mag loads I have used were brutal

In terms of ballistics, the Remington Golden Saber is just about the mildest .357 Magnum load going. Are you saying that you think the Speer .357 Magnum loads are softer shooting? According to the information online, Speer loads their 125gr Gold Dot to 1450fps and 583 ft-lb for the .357. The .357 Golden Saber is just 1220fps and 413 ft-lb! :confused:

In any case, if you thought they were brutal in your still healthy 35 oz GP100, I wonder how they would feel in a 12oz snubnose?

Majic

Also make sure it is full metal jacket ammo!!

The crimp on semi jacketed rounds is not strong enough to hold the remaining bullets in their cartridges during recoil!!
Are you trying to say that the unfired bullets will jump crimp on recoil (which most of us understand) or that the lead core will separate from the jacket thus the comment about the FMJ?

spj

I just got a 360 the other day. I am very happy with it. I am carrying the speer 135 .38 +p, but I also carry a handload that I whipped up. Speer sells a SB .357 bullet that is 147 grains. I send it at around 1000 fps. This is snappy but I like it. Has anyone found Speers new SB .357 ammo anywhere? I cant seem to find anyone who has it yet. Anyway I shot some American Eagle .357 158 soft points that other day, including weak handed, and while brisk, I don't mind it. Great pistol, but the trigger pull is heavy.