Which 22lr

Nemsis

I'm going to get a .22lr pistol for a plinker but I'm not sure if I should get a revolver or semi any ideas.

MLeake

What do you plan to shoot in centerfire?

If you plan to buy semiauto SD pistols, buy a semiauto .22.

If you plan to buy revolvers, buy a revolver.

Makes it easier, if you can practice inexpensively with a similar mechanism to your main gun.

If you aren't sure what you want, find a range that will rent both to you, and find out what you like. No point in forking over a few hundred dollars on something you may not want.

As far as which is better? There are some very good quality semi and revo .22s out there, so there really isn't a general "better" gun. There's only the gun that best meets your needs, once you determine what those are.

Cheers,

M

B.N.Real

22 revolvers will fire every type of 22 ammo made and reliably.

They have no loading issues.

But they are slower to reload ,fire and you need to practice with your revolver alot to get good groups firing double action if you chose to rapid fire a double action revolver.

Revolvers are also much easier to clean after firing alot of ammo.

Excellent 22 revolvers are sold by Smith and Wesson,Ruger (single action only),Taurus and used by Dan Wesson.

22 semi autos are much easier to rapid fire with good groups on target with much less time needed to learn to shoot them well.

They are reloaded much faster with magazines.

And as a general rule,22 auto pistols are more accurate (in grouping)than revolvers.

But 22 auto's require more maintenance.

They must be cleaned more often and kept lubricated.

Some 22 autos may have particular types of 22 ammo they simply will not feed.

Excellent semi autos are sold by Ruger (the MK III,a classic design) and Browning ( the outstanding Buck Mark,also a classic design) ,Smith and Wesson (the classic Model 41 target)and used High Standard pistols are simply incredible finds.

The great thing about shooting ANY 22 pistol or revolver is that you still need to find the skill in yourself to get that bullet on target everytime and with the 22 round,you can practice till the cows come home and it won't break your wallet.

Plus,the 22 Long Rifle round has been designed to be very accurate.

And,the history of the 22 handgun is very long indeed so that you can find very old,very excellent handguns for sale cheap that are as good as anything sold today.

Plus the 22 round is easy on the handguns that shoot it so as long as the handgun has been properly maintained ,they should last several lifetimes.

So if you get any of these great 22 revolvers or pistols you simply cannot go wrong.

The only thing to do is to buy several of each type over the coming years and find out which of the several you want to keep.

Enjoy!

grey_pilgrim

I think you need to get whatever you think you want!

Go to a gun store and try and hold as many guns as you can; this will help you narrow down your choices. For example, I was certain I wanted a ruger mark III 22/45 until I held it in my hand; I wound up with a browning buckmark. So go to your nearest gun store and hold some 22 semiautos and revolvers. That should help you narrow down the choices.

To echo what BN Real said:

I've shot both the ruger mark II (the older version of the mark III) and the browning buckmark , and they are excellent firearms. Both are extremely accurate and fun to shoot, if you are looking for a semiauto.

blume357

I suggest a Ruger MarkIII.... best dern plinker I got...

I personally don't like 22lr revolvers .... two hard to load and unload. Especially in single action.

NGIB

22 revolvers will fire every type of 22 ammo made and reliably.

And this is why I moved away from .22 semi-autos. I've had a Ruger Mark I and a Browning Buckmark, both great shooters, both picky about ammo. My 3 DA revolvers, 2 Dan Wessons and a Taurus, will shoot anything I find on sale...

Neophyte1

either

Nemis: Either will give you a life time of enjoyment. Revolvers are not temperamental with ammo. They just go bang. Ruger's has both and both of the best.
Single Six, fairly accurate and affordable barrel length to 9.5"
MK 1-2-111's fill the bill
With any firearm practice is the most important aspect.

Follow up with your thoughts.

22-rimfire

My choice was a double action revolver in 22LR. If I was looking for something new, I'd look at a 4" Smith Model 617 and the smaller new Smith Model 63 (5" barrel). The model 63 should be hitting the stores soon. I like revolvers for their simplicity, safety, loading and unloading convenience, and ability to shoot any brand (cheap or high end) without a problem.

If you want a semi-auto pistol, I'd choose either a Ruger Mark II or II with 5.5" bull barrel (read heavy barrel) or a Browning Buckmark. Both are very reliable.

CajunBass

I'd say just look for one you really like. Except for really cheap ones, they're all pretty good. I'm basically a Ruger fan, but I've got a Dan Wesson and a Bersa and they all shoot better than I can.

woad_yurt

H&R 676: Convertible (.22LR & .22WMR) and double action!

Sometimes I feel like the lone voice in the darkness among all of the Ruger fans but I'm very partial to the H&R line. Their higher end stuff is built well and is very affordable. A DA 949 is a good deal, price-wise, and holds 9 rounds. The 676 is the only double action .22LR/.22WMR convertible gun available, it seems. Dad's got a 949 and I have a 676 and they're both very well made weapons. Maybe not as polished as S&W or Ruger, but the DA feature outweighs that, IMHO. They're for sale at online auction sites all the time. The H&R cheaper lines, like the 922, tend to have heavier triggers but, for $125 or so, you can get a really mint-esque gun if you shop around. I recently bought a 676 w/6" barrel for $150 shipped and am waiting on delivery. I already have one w/a 12" barrel and the thing is amazing, especially w/.22WMR. It's the most accurate handgun I own. The H&R Sportsman is another to keep an eye peeled for. They're also a joy to shoot.

MLeake

If you just want a list of good handguns in .22...

My favorite .22 revolver is the S&W Model 18, but those are no longer in production. If you can find a used one, they are tackdrivers, and beautiful, too. They are the .22 version of the Model 15 .38 special Combat Masterpiece.

The 617 has a good reputation, and deservedly so, but I still prefer the 18 hands down.

For semi-autos, I'd be torn between the Ruger MkIII and the Browning Buckmark, as both are great values when you compare quality to price. However, if I could find a S&W Model 41, that would be the choice for me. We used those in competition, back when, and the first time I picked one up I shot something like a 283 out of 300. I could not believe how accurate and easy to use that pistol was.

Cheers,

M

allenomics

I recommend a 22/45 Ruger, on sale abour $220 or a Mark III, $265 if you want a better semi-auto (IMO). Revolver, Ruger's Single Six.

B.N.Real

NGIB,I agree with you there.

Life's too short to be chasing down a particular type of ammo for a gun.

I load it.

It shoots.

That's what I like.

Nemsis

Thanks for all the replys alot of good info to go through.

I guess the biggest reasons I want a 22 is to save money on ammo and spend more time on the range, then would be to help introduce new shooters to the sport

I have rented a walther P22 which was fun and no FTF's but wasn't that accurate and I heard is a pain to strip and clean.I also used a buddies 6" DA revolver but I don't remember what make or model and liked it also but it was a pain to load.

I wanna stay around $400

How are the Taurus revolvers?

How hard is it to strip and clean a Ruger MKIII?

KyJim

I believe the Mark III strips just like my Mark II. I have had one for years and have never completely "field stripped" it as that requires a rubber mallet to forcefully dislodge the barrel. Most shooters stop at this step and I think it is unnecessary for cleaning. The rest of the field stripping procedure is quite easy. On reassembly, there is a "trick" to doing it but, once learned, is not a problem.

Here's a video so you can judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVvIMAk64LM

GeekWithAGun

as that requires a rubber mallet to forcefully dislodge the barrel

Not entirely true...the manual does say to use a plastic faced hammer to dislodge the barrel, but that it is only necessary for the first few times the gun is field stripped. Afterwards things fit "better". Personally, after about 6-7 times stripping it, I can get it back together with only a little force by hand. (including the bolt stop pin, which I thought was the hardest part.) Also, getting the barrel off allows you to clean the frame much easier, and to the extent that I personally prefer, getting into the trigger mechanism and such.

But to stay on topic, I would definitely recommend a semi-auto (specifically the Mark III) because having two 10 round magazines sure is faster than reloading a revolver.;) At the same time however, I do agree with the person who said it depends on what kind of gun you will normally be using. If it happens to be a revolver, then that would change my answer a bit...better to be familiar with what you need to be familiar with....right?

-Drew