Which .22lr

itgoesboom

Well, as i have mentioned in a few previous posts, i am looking to get better at rifle shooting, since i have never been very skilled with a rifle. I can easily hit 23 out of 25 clays with a shotgun, or put all 8 rounds from my pistol in the 10 ring at ten yards rapid fire, but i am worthless with a rifle.

Well, i keep thinking about what rifle i should get next, without really considering that i have a decent Enfield .303. Of course, .303 is pretty expensive, so its pretty tough to be able to afford to go out and shoot enough to get better.

So I am starting to think that the only way that i am going to get any better with a rifle is to use a .22lr, and get back to the basics.

So with that in mind, i am thinking about what i am going to TRY and get at Christmas this year.

1.) Savage MkII .22lr bolt action,
2.) Marlin 880SQ .22lr bolt action,

Anyone have any opinions of these two rifles? I just want something that is good quality that i can grow into as i improve, something that is more accurate that i am.

Also what would be a good, fairly inexpensive (under $100) scope to mount?

The rifle will be used to learn to shoot better, and possibly as a squirrel rifle at some point.

Any help is appreciated.

I.G.B.

Schuey2002

I don't have any knowledge of either of the two guns
that you mentioned but i'm going to throw in my two cents...

My first .22lr was and still is a Ruger 10/22...
It's easy to shoot,is fairly accurate out of the box,cost a little
over $100.00 new and theres alot of third party support for
this gun.Which means you can spend hundreds of dollars on
accessories..Plus,the fact that it has been a reliable shooter
and is fun to shoot as well.You also can get pre-ban hicap
mags for these guns also........ :)

itgoesboom

"and theres alot of third party support for
this gun.Which means you can spend hundreds of dollars on
accessories.."

honestly thats one of the reasons why i am avoiding the 10/22....because i know i will be tempted to purchase a better barrell, a new stock, new trigger, ect ect ect. :D

That and i think that a bolt action would be the best for me, so that i learn to not rush my shots.

I.G.B.

BamBam-31

I hear CZ makes good bolt .22's. Not too sure if it's in your price range, however. There were some milsurp trainer .22's a bit back, Romanian, I think, that were pretty cheap. Not bolt, though. All I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck.

cratz2

By the way, the two you list, the Marlin 880SQ and the Savage MKII LV are the two best mainstream 22 bolt guns, in my opinion. I think you should be quite happy with either of them. I had an 880 and still have my MKII. Mostly because I prefer the laminated stock.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I just had the pleasure of firing a CZ 452 - not sure of the exact model, it's the one with open sights. If your llooking for a very high quality rifle with either open sights or a scope, I'd also recommend the CZ. The most impressive thing was the great trigger - apparently out of the box. Retail price here is 212.00.

Jimmy Mac

The CZ is a far better rifle than the Savage or Marlin.

The CZ 452 is the best buy in a rimfire ever. They are better than some rifles costing three times as much.

I have $175 in mine.

Kaylee

Another vote for the CZ. :)

When I was looking for a bolt .22 I went and played with every one I could find. At one point, I laid down a CZ next to a Kimber... the only real difference I could find in fit and finish was the stamped trigger guard.

The CZ shoots like a dream, to. The other day we were all regularly centerpunching .45LC casings at 15 yards with open sights, offhand.

CZ is one of those rifles that makes you feel like you actually know what you're doing. :p

-K

Tropical Z

Savage makes a very nice, durable and accurate .22lr whether its a semi-auto or bolt action.I would prefer a Remington 597 for a semi,but do like my Savage a lot.I'd stay away from the Romanian trainers UNLESS you are willing to spend time making it work correctly.

LBC

FWIW, I had a Ruger 77/22 bolt gun, laminated stock, that was an absolute tack driver. Beautiful rifle, too. Came with one of Ruger's 10-rd. rotary box magazines. You can get a Timney trigger for it, too, I believe.

itgoesboom

Thanks for the advice guys. Somehow i knew that everyone would start recommending the CZs and Romanians. However, my choices are between the Savage and the Marlin.

Also, any advice on which scope i could get, for under $100 for the rifle?

I.G.B.

itgoesboom

Thanks for the advice guys. Somehow i knew that everyone would start recommending the CZs and Romanians. However, my choices are between the Savage and the Marlin.

Also, any advice on which scope i could get, for under $100 for the rifle?

I.G.B.

Jimmy Mac

Why are you limited to the Marlin and Savage? Any dealer can get you a CZ.

If you insist on only the two go with the Marlin.