Which .22?

gustav129

I got a $200 "Mall Gift Card" as a christmas bonus, and there's a Sportsman's Warehouse at the mall. I'm deciding on either a Ruger 10/22 with stainless barrel and black synthetic stock (don't know the actual model of it) for $250, or a Marlin 795SS for $189.

I did a search on the 795SS and nothing much came up on it. I know the 10/22 is a well reputable firearm. I'm looking for something that could possibly be a beginner match gun. I know niether of these are gonna be the greatest.

Should I go with the 795SS and get it right now ($206 with tax) or wait about a month and hope they still have the 10/22 in stock (almost $275 with tax)

Inspector3711

I'd go for a 10/22... You could even go for a standard one and buy a barrel and stock kit. I don't know how it compares to the heavy stainless factory gun but mine was a standard carbine. I spent $130 on a Hogue stock/ Butler creek varmint barrel combo and I am shooting half inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards with Federal Automatch ammo (Walmart $14 for 325 rounds).

Maybe the one you are looking at will do the same as is. I would stay away from Remington Golden Bullets. My gun hates them. RP brown box does well though.

I recently put $50 into the trigger group and went from a 7lb trigger to a 2.5 lb pull. I'm anxious to see what she'll do now. I just need time off to shoot when it isn't snowing like crazy.

csmsss

Should I go with the 795SS and get it right now ($206 with tax) or wait about a month and hope they still have the 10/22 in stock (almost $275 with tax)
Do they take layaway? See if you can put down $25 on the rifle you *really* want and pay off the balance when you can.

I know each of us has unique fiscal constraints, but the difference in price between these two rifles is not so extreme as to not buy the rifle you really want.

troy_mclure

10/22.

you can start out fairly cheap, then keep adding fancier parts and make a laser accurate distance gun, or a mini "black gun" with 100rd drum mags.