Which 22: S&W 41 (used) or Buckmark Target (new)?

Bellevance

I'm almost ready to purchase my first autoloader, but I'm torn between two guns. All the online research I've done over the past week or two suggests I can't really go wrong either way. But that's a problem, since I can only afford one gun (for now). I simply want to practice with the gun to improve my marksmanship and to get to know an auto. I already own a Smith 617 10-shot, 6-inch, which I love.

The M41 is in a local shop. It's a 5-inch, A7981 series, which would make it a 1982 vintage, I think. Price is $450, no box or papers, but it looks to be in fine shape--98%, I'd guess--no scratches or dings. The Buckmark (7.2-inch) is new at Bud's for $510 plus S&H.

I've read that the 41s can be finicky about ammo and that they are harder to clean than the Buckmarks. Many shooters regard 41 as the top-of-the-line pistol for accuracy and investment value. Others love the look and feel and reliability of the Buckmark. I think like the balance of the 41 better, but it's hard for me to say, since I have only held the guns, and I have never fired either one.

Any advice? Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

mikejonestkd

The smith is the way to go, you can always pick up another buckmark at any time - but nice 41's are harder to find, yes you can also buy the smith new but the quality may not be as high as the older used one.

Get the smith, and this comes from someone who loves buckmarks for plinking and high standards ( hamden only please ) for target shhoting.

jr05

I would say go with the 41 if it is in that good shape for that price. I went with a buckmark target because I could not find a reasonable 41 in that price range. Also, the $510 + shipping sounds high for the buckmark. I bought the 5.5 target a year ago for about $410 NIB from a local dealer. If you are leaning toward the buckmark, I would look around before buying.

I do love the buckmark, but the 41 is definately the way to go for that price.

Majic

That is a great price for a M41. I doubt you will be sorry with the S&W. Some are finicky about ammo, but unless you get upset because it won't shoot a certain brand/style then it's generally no problem. Just find what it likes and always feed it that.
Buckmarks are also good pistols, but to be honest a Buckmark is just a plinker. The M41 is a target pistol.

BUSTER51

get the 41 ,I have mine since 1974 and I have 2 barrels 4inch and 6 inch never a problem and a pure joy to shoot .one of the best 22 pistols ever built .:D

Tim R

Having both the Smith 41 and a 5.5 target Buckmark, who ever told you the Buckmark is easier to clean than a 41 is full of it.

The price for the 41 sounds good. 41's like to run wet and CLP won't make it. If you are using standard Vel ammo, like CCI in cold temps the CCI won't always run the pistol. Durning normal 70 degree or better temps, the CCI standard works just fine. If you want long barrel life then use lead bullets only.

I have found my 41 won't run on PMC Scoremaster. The Buckmark loves them and makes 1 ragged hole at 50 feet off the bench but since I can't get any Scoremaster where I'm at it's a moot point anyways. The 41 shoots Winny T-22 better than CCI standard but the T-22 won't go off enough for competition so the slightly larger groups with the CCI standard is a moot point as well. I use CCI standard because it has few duds. Out of my last 5,000 rd case there might have been 2 which failed to fire. I'm about 1/2 way through another 5,000 rd case of CCI Standard and they have all gone off so far.

Off the bench, the 5.5 target and my 41 are very close to having the same group size with the nod going slightly to the Buckmark, again using CCI standard ammo in both. However, the 41 has the better balance and feel and is easier to shoot competetion with. The 41's factory trigger also has it all over the 5.5. Keep in mind both pistols will easily hold inside the ten ring on a 50 foot slow fire 22 pistol target with the CCI standard ammo. And I'm talking about a single ragged 10 shot hole.

The only problem I see here with the 41 is I don't get rid of good shooting firearms, worn out ones maybe. There is a solution though, there are complete new factory Smith 5 1/2 and 7 inch barrels which are easy to get. Brownells has them.

joe1347

In a sense, the Buckmark and SW41 are very different pistols. The Buckmark is geared more towards plinking - while the SW41 was (is) designed for NRA Bullseye shooting. If you have no plans for to shoot bullseye - then you might as well select the pistol that you 'like' better. However, if you plan to shoot bullseye - the SW41 has: i) a better trigger, ii) will digest standard velocity target ammo (the Buckmark 'likes' higher velocity non-target ammo), iii) has better aftermarket support in terms of better match-style anatomical grips, and iv) may be a little more accurate. However, since the SW41 pre-dates red-dot scope technology - you'll need to get it drilled to mount a red-dot (e.g., an ultra-dot) for bullseye - while the Buckmark comes with weaver rails.

Tim R

Joe, My 5.5 Target would run on target ammo my 41 wouldn't. I have never had a problem with any ammo I've ran through the Buckmark, no matter the brand, can't say that for the 41.

Without doubt the 41 is the better pistol and for the money Bell is talking about between the two, I don't think it would not be hard to figure out.

Don't discount a Buckmark for B/E shooting. They fit some people better than a 41. My 41 already had the holes drilled and tapped for mounting a rail as well.

joe1347

Joe, My 5.5 Target would run on target ammo my 41 wouldn't. I have never had a problem with any ammo I've ran through the Buckmark, no matter the brand, can't say that for the 41.

Without doubt the 41 is the better pistol and for the money Bell is talking about between the two, I don't think it would not be hard to figure out.

Don't discount a Buckmark for B/E shooting. They fit some people better than a 41. My 41 already had the holes drilled and tapped for mounting a rail as well.

Possibly the standard velocity .22 ammo finickiness of my older Buckmark (~1994 vintage 5.5 target) has been resolved on newer models. I found out that the Buckmark did like Remington .22 Target after shooting CCI minimags for a few years. I believe Remingtion Target .22s are a 'little' higher velocity than most .22 match (target-grade) ammo. As for the SW41 being pre-drilled, I seem to remember a friends fairly old SW41 not being pre-drilled. But possibly I'm mistaken.

Of course, we haven't dragged the ~$300 Ruger MKIII512 into the discussion as one of the other 'new' .22 alternatives to a used SW41. It's too bad that the article isn't online - but I've heard that NRA's shootingsports.com highly recommended the Ruger for Bullseye. My worn out Buckmark is ready for it's second trip to the gunsmith and rather than getting it repaired - I thought that I would try out a Ruger MKIII512 (for Bullseye shooting) this time - with a little help from Volquartsen (see pic below). Although, when I was looking around a few weeks ago - most of the used SW41's were quite a bit more expensive than $450. So I never even considered a used SW41 and thought that if I was willing to spend $600+, then a used IZH-35M was the better pick.

ruger_volquartsen.jpg

Last edited:

Bellevance

Thanks plenty!

You guys are great. Within a few hours of my post this morning, it became clear to me that I'd been a fool even to pose the question. So I hurried out in the afternoon and bought the 41. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems perfect.

For a couple of years now, I had been thinking I would buy a pretty new Buckmark some day just to have some fun with a solid autoloader. I didn't imagine I'd ever find a quality used target pistol like a 41, and I wasn't looking for one. I'm partial to wheelguns, anyway.

The ramshackle shop I visited on Thursday, in northern Vermont, is mostly a ski and bike place, though it's big on rifles and ammo during deer season. When I wandered into the store (always on the look-out for a nice K-22), the three-shelf handgun case was blocked by two dozen rifle and shotgun boxes stood on their ends. I asked the kid if I could look at the handguns. He was dealing with some hunters (muzzle-loading season opens here tomorrow), so it took him a few minutes. Meanwhile, I moved the boxes.

The handgun case was a mess. The barrel of the 41 was literally underneath the barrel of a Ruger revolver. I asked to look at it. The kid had nothing to tell me about the gun. The shop owner was, unfortunately, in the hospital. The 41 looked surprisingly clean. I wrote down the serial number. It had a tag that said, "S&W 41, $449.95, no mags, no box, used very little, new guns sell for $700-plus." That "$700 plus," I realized later, suggested that it had been lying in the dusty case for quite a while.

So, guys, thanks for getting my butt back into that store. You're part of a deeply knowledgeable and supportive forum, and you've helped me make up my mind to buy a fine gun.

Last edited:

JoeHatley

Congrats on the nice find!!

The S&W Model 41 is a very nice gun. I bought this one last spring and it's a very fun shooter.

41_l.jpg

I've "heard" folks say they are picky about the ammo, but mine runs just fine on everything I've tried in it. Remington Target, CCI SV, and Winchester Super-X.

Joe

ArizonaRick

I own 3 Ruger Mark II, One Buckmark, and shot all through college with a modle 41. They are all great pistols, but for the price, the Buckmark has the best "out of the box" trigger, sights, and balance. If your going to add accessories (scope / grips / ect) the Ruger has the most after-market options and comes in many variations. Any of these fine pistols will hold it's value if you take care of it. Good luck - Arizona Rick

Nail Shooter

Congrats, you bought a great 22! I have both. The Buckmark really is a pretty good gun too, but not really in the same class as the 41. Smith makes factory 12rd flush-fit mags for that gun. Get some, have fun. Regards,

NS