• Ruger MK III

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Browning Buckmark

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cide1

Both are good guns...

Both are good guns when they are working. I have shot both multiple times before purchasing a Mark III 22/45 5.5" bull barrel. Disassembly on both is a real pain. Accuracy on both is quite good. Where the Mark III really shines is in the design. The buckmark has screws that hold it together which come loose, and has a spring that is held in place by the grips. I have seen both of these to be major sore spots. The rifle + pistol club at my school owns several of each model, and the rugers have significantly fewer mechanical problems. My 22/45 took a good 800 to 1000 rounds to get worn in properly and start behaving, but since then, it has been a ton of fun, and significantly more accurate than I am. I have probably shot 5000 rounds through it so far, and had no problems.

Slugthrower

Buckmark, That is the one. Unless of course you can get a Ruger Mk II. ;)

I like my cheap S&W 22A, it's finish sucks but it is darn accurate and great as a knock around pistol.

I am supposing that you intend to buy a .22LR for cheap shooting. Can't go wrong with that Buckmark.

JWT

To me they feel very, very similar although I've only shot the Mark III. I bought the Mark III a couple months ago and it is really fun to shoot and performs flawlessly (as long as I don't feed it Remington Gold bulk pack).

I takes a bit of time to learn how to disassemble for cleaning and even more time to learn how to put it back together. Neither are difficult once you understand you must follow the printed directions, step by step, exactly.

I got the slab sided stainless target model and it's a great gun.

Taurus_9mm

You'd likely be well served by either. I've not had my 22/45 for long but love it a lot already. :)

342_22_07_07_5_56_23.jpg

gopack

And for those of us who can't make up our minds

22s.jpg

I'd probably give an edge to the MKIII Hunter. The 22A, MKIII 22/45 and Buck Mark Standard are about equal IMO. Each has good qualities that distiguish the pistol. The single six is just plain fun to shoot and shoots well. The P22 doesn't match the rest in quality or accuracy.

Old Gaffer

I opted for the Buck Mark; two of them actually, as DW has one too.

Over at http://rimfirecentral.com in the Browning section there's excellent info on getting the trigger smooth and down to about 2.25 lbs.

The first one I did (mine) took be about two hours of being v-e-r-y cautious; I did my wife's in about an hour from start to finish.

And BTW, we use ours for BE shooting.

All the best,
Rob

atblis

Well

I voted for the Ruger simply because they are a tank. I like the Buckmark, they shoot well. I just think the Ruger is touch more durable.

ShipWreck

I vote for the Buckmark - I looked at 22s for over a year. Narrowed it down to the Ruger 22/45 and the Buckmark - I then rented a Buckmark and was hooked. The Browning is easier to disassemble and the grip is more comfortable.

22-9copy.jpg

Blue Duck

I would choose the Ruger over the Buckmark, but if you want a real .22 auto that leaves the other's in the dust, get a Smith and Wesson model 41. It will cost you twice as much, and definately well worth it.