Which 22 again,

Selfdfenz

After owning 4 (or is it 5) Rugers (MK IIs) over the years I decided I wanted to look at something a little different.
What's your take on the Ruger 22/45.

Also has anyone seem one of the Beretta Neos (U22) pistols yet.
The arti in the American Rifleman made it sound like a pretty nice unit and reasonably priced but I have yet to see one.

I've looked at the Buckmark Camper and seems pretty nice too, just can't find a good deal on one right now and the Camper models seems pretty rare.

Thanks in advance and take care,
S-

Blackhawk

After owning 4 (or is it 5) Rugers (MK IIs) over the years I decided I wanted to look at something a little different.
You must not have really liked any of them, which is surprising.

Never handled a 22/45, but I just can't get over somebody not liking a Mk II enough to keep at least 1 or 4-5....

DMK

My dad just bought a Camper, and my mom's had a stainless Buckmark for a while.

I've shot them both and they are nice shooters. Very light and pointable, very reliable and have nice sights. I just found some mags for them from CDNN for $19

The only nitpick I have is the screws holding the top part of the reciever keep working loose on both of them. However, a little Locktite should fix that.

Selfdfenz

Thanks Guys,
Actually I love the MKII. There is something about the grip angle that keeps me from shooting them as well as I would like to offhand. I've tried differnt barrel lengths, grips. taked weigths on, painted the sights and some other things I probably forgot over the years etc.
The strange thing is I can shoot some other 22s with similiar grip angles/shape (High Std and S&W) better. Off a sand bag all is well with the MK II just off hand is a problem.

Since the 22/45 has a different grip angle and shape my hope is things might improve offhand. Having owned MKIIs, the 22/45 always struck me as having a cheap feel and strange balance and till now I couldn't buy a Ruger that was so un-MKII like but I think I may give her a go just the same. I like where the controls are on the 22/45.

Then again the Buchmark has impressed me a lot and reminds me on the High Std in some ways. I like the more open access to the chamber. Always hated digging unextracted cases out of the Ruger's little opening.

I also just wonered if anyone had actually seen one of the Beretta Neos pistols. I can't decide if they are the ugliest or best looking pistol going but I'm leaning toward spaceaged ugly.

S-

Remmy

I read the same article you mentioned selfdfenz, i wondered the same thing about the Berreta, and would like some info on it as well.
Although im in the market for a mk II right now, while at the gunstore i held and handled a sig trailside .22. :D The gun felt great, a little on the light side which i dont like but i could have gotten over that. The gunshop near me has one for $449.99. I just thought i'd throw that out there as another one to consider, maybe you have already though about it, but when i think of sig, i dont usually think about their .22's.

The one i held was the Standard model

Maybe look into that...

Wile E.

I've never shot a 22/45, but I held one in a shop recently. The grip angle is more like the typical 1911 which is good, but the balance seemed a bit awkward. Kind of top heavy feeling. The one I was looking at was a KP-512 with the 5 1/2" bull barrel which seems to be the most popular model around here.

From the pictures I've seen, the U22 Neos grip angle seems more like the Mk II, which has me worried since I really would prefer something more like a 1911. Haven't seen one yet and I suspect it will be a while before I do.

Selfdfenz

I had no idea Colt made a 22. Sweet looker.

I have heard some mixed results on the Trailside in the reliability department. It is one well made, nice looking and handling 22 but for the $$$ being asked for the ones I've seen locally I could nearly afford a CZ 97 which is on my "'down the financial road a ways " list. It's really a Hammerali is it not.

The 22/45 sells in this area for less that 225$ and at gunshows for 200 of less. I agree on the balance issue it is top heavy.

S-

critter44

I shoot .45's a lot. I also own a 22/45 and like it very much indeed. (Also own one of the very old ruger 22 semiauto's). The grip angle on the 22/45 is similar to the .45's, the controls are much the same etc. Being a polymer frame, it does tend to be a bit top heavy-get used to it in a few minutes. It shoots really well. I am well pleased with mine.

stevesmith7

Remmy,
There's a weight that replaces the piece of plastic under the front of the barrel if you like them a little heavier. See www.larrysguns.com.
I love my trailside. Look around. I got a 4.5" target model for $399 about
a year ago. Used but like new.

Steve

sm

I went with the 22/45 with a 4" bbl, as mentioned the controls are similar to a 1911.

I shoot the 4" better than my friends 5.5"--go figure

the older High Standards and Colt Woodsman's are worth trying for a change.

Easy to carry, accurate with iron sights that I hunt with it and just a general do all reliable .22 my 22/45 fits my needs perfect.

Had and shot for years the stainless 5.5 target Ruger--but someone wanted real bad and paid more than its worth for competition--so I BTDT

best

longeyes

Which is the most reliable? Which the easiest to take apart, clean, and get back together? I've heard the Rugers are a pain to strip and maintain.

cobb

I have 3 Browning Buckmarks, 2 variations. Mine are super reliable and good shooters. The part I like best is that the controls are the same as my 1911's.

Onslaught

I shoot the 4" better than my friends 5.5"--go figure
For most folks, it appears that the 4" 22/45 has the best balance, which may explain your results. The 5.5" is still mucho more popular because traditionally, the 5.5" MKII was considered to have the best balance.

I gave my very first pistol ever (a Ruger MkII) to my father because he has more time to shoot, plus he bought it for me in the first place, he's responsible for my love of shooting, so it's the least I could do. I plan to replace it with a 22/45 as soon as I get around to it.