Which 209 primer for inline?

Cascade1911

I have a new T/C Impact. I shoot Pyrodex (granular, not pellets). What do you all recommend for a primer? Standard shotshell primer or the "Special" black-powder primers?

Andy Griffith

Whatever you can get your hands on if you are shooting pyrodex or holy black.
I defer to people that have shot the other substitutes, as I have not.

Pahoo

lighter is better

Yes,
Any 209 will do but Winchester does make one for the dreadful "in-lines" ..... :eek:
Just kidding !! Actually, the lower powered 209's are prefered. Folks have found out the hard way that the 209 ignition has provided some problems. At first, any 209 was accepted and then they started making the lower powered 209's. I have used the standard by Federal but only because I had a bunch of them. I'm fortunate enough to have a riflel that gives me the option of using all three ignition systems so have settled on the Musket primer. I get very good performance. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

BIGR

I always heard that the Winchesters were hotter and offered better ignition. Does any company offer a magnum 209 primer that would be better? Reason I am asking is I have run into some ignition problems with my Omega and the BH209 powder. That powder (when I can get it to ignite) is the most accurate I have tried. Next deer season I would like to have that issue solved so I can use the BH209.

arcticap

Among the strongest American made 209 primers are #1 Federal 209A and #2 CCI 209M (magnum). The Cheddite 209 follows close behind in 3rd, followed by the Remington Standard 209, Remington STS and Winchester 209A in close order.

Doyle

BIGR, when using an inline a hotter primer is NOT a good thing. You'll get better accuracy from using a milder primer made especially for a muzzleloader.

Cascade1911

Doyle, have you tried this with Blackhorn 209? While my understanding is that you are correct for Pyrodex and 777, my research on BH209 indicates it is formulated for full power 209 primers. This from Blackhorns site:

We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A.

Be aware, I have no first hand knowledge as my first two canisters of BH209 as well as 1000 CCI 209M primers are on their way so I'm certainly interested in first hand information.

NoSecondBest

Doyle, have you tried this with Blackhorn 209? While my understanding is that you are correct for Pyrodex and 777, my research on BH209 indicates it is formulated for full power 209 primers. This from Blackhorns site:

Quote:
We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A.

Be aware, I have no first hand knowledge as my first two canisters of BH209 as well as 1000 CCI 209M primers are on their way so I'm certainly interested in first hand information.

Cascade: you are entirely correct. Blackhorn 209 does work best with a regular 209 primer and it is reccommended on their website. We were shooting Sunday trying different powders, primers, bullets, etc. Using Blackhorn 209 powder the groups were tighter with the regular shotgun primers. Using ML primers we actually got one hang fire.

Doyle

Cascade, no. I can't get Blackhorn 209 locally yet and I refuse to pay that absurd hasmat fee. If I ever get to a place that has a decent price I'll probably pick up a few bottles. In the meantime, I've still got to work through another bottle and a half of 777 (good powerful stuff just dirty).