Which 20" barrel for AR 15 rifle build?

Marquezj16

Choice #1
AR-Stoner Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO 20" Government Contour 1 in 7" Twist Chrome-Lined Matte

Nothing extra included.

Choice #2
Stag Arms 20” 5.56 Heavy Barrel Assembly Kit

5.56 NATO Chamber
1/9 twist
Heavy Profile (HBAR)
Rifle Length Gas System

Includes:
A2 Flashhider with crush washer

F-Marked Front Sight

Gas Tube with roll pin

Delta ring assembly with barrel nut, weld spring, and handguard snap ring

Thermoplastic Handguards

What are you doing with it? The 1:9 wont stabalize the really heavy rounds as well as the 1:7. If you're only shooting during the day then you won't really need a flash hider. The gov't contour will be slightly lighter. And the stag doesn't apprear to be free floated...so that'll hurt accuracy too.

So again, what do you want it for? Bench shooting, 3 gun, display to show your friends?

jsimmons

The 1:9 wont stabilize the really heavy rounds as well as the 1:7.

When people put a 20-inch barrel on an AR, it's usually for varminting purposes, and the varmint rounds are lighter, making a 1:9 (or even slower) ROT acceptable. For long range shooting (not varminting?) , a 1:7 ROT is better because you can use heavier cartridges.

jsimmons

If you're swapping out a barrel on an existing upper, not using a floating hand guard is kinda pointless. You're going to need a barrel ($250), gas tube ($15), and gas-block ($50-150). If you buy a floating hand guard, it will probably come with its own proprietary barrel nut (I think you can get a rifle-length Hogue floater for less than $75). A decent flash suppressor will run you approximately $50.

You should be able to do the barrel swap for right around $500 if you shop around.

Marquezj16

I'm building a M16 A3 clone. So it will not be free floated.

It's for range use only at this time out to 340 yards. Possibly out to 600 at a later time.

I mostly shoot 55 and 62 gr but the new barrel could determine if I will load 69 and maybe 75 gr.

thanks for the input so far.

Last edited:

CTS

From what I can find on the net, both barrels are made by ER Shaw, so it basically boils down to which has what you want for the best price.

RC20

Some 1-9s handled the heavy rounds as good as 1-7 (which is a bit much actually, 1-8 is better)

So, if you want to protect the option to go heavy and be sure, then the 1-7 and it will handle the 55-62 fine.

It will not handle anything lighter and its in the bottom of the range of the 55 gr.

So you shift from one side to the other.

Again its not a given, just probability in that one tends to one area and one tends to the other.

1-8 splits that and gives you the best of both worlds, though better with the Wylde chamber

I dunno js... When people who've shot a lot of AR's and know whats all going on build AR's they might opt for a 20" for shooting varmints.... But when a guy who's never built one before builds an AR his logic might be a bit flawed. Case in point: me. I was under the assumption that a 1:9 twist would be the best of both worlds cause it was between the 1:7 and 1:12 twists. I found put I was wrong and why. And on another post on this forum someone suggested a 20" barrel with a 1:9 twist would be the best for HD. I want an 18" 1:8 for my build.

I believe the current M16 uses a 1:7 twist. The origional 601 was 1:14 and the 602 was 1:12.

jsimmons

I dunno js... When people who've shot a lot of AR's and know whats all going on build AR's they might opt for a 20" for shooting varmints.... But when a guy who's never built one before builds an AR his logic might be a bit flawed. Case in point: me. I was under the assumption that a 1:9 twist would be the best of both worlds cause it was between the 1:7 and 1:12 twists. I found put I was wrong and why. And on another post on this forum someone suggested a 20" barrel with a 1:9 twist would be the best for HD. I want an 18" 1:8 for my build.

I believe the current M16 uses a 1:7 twist. The original 601 was 1:14 and the 602 was 1:12.

I also opted for 1:8 on my frankenrifle. later this year, I'm going to replace the barrel on my S&W with a mid-length 1:8 as well.

A 20-inch barrel on a home-defense weapon is IMHO way too long. Beyond that, I don't think the ROT makes one rifle better than another at home defense. It merely defines the ammo that works best in the rifle (in terms of accuracy). For home-defense, I'd use lighter frangible, hollow point, or soft-point cartridges.

Marquezj16

Just to make sure everyone knows, I am not building this rifle is not for HD.

If I have to reach for my AR 15 for HD, then something has gone terribly wrong.