Where's the cut off for Hollow Points?

Jamie Young

When do you NOT want to use Hollow point ammo for hunting? What size game? Elk, Moose?

I've noticed the Bigger the game, the less Hollow Points are used. Nobody shoots a 350gr HP 416 Rigby do they?

Statistically speaking how much more penetration would a Soft Point round penetrate than a Hollow Point?

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Depends more on such things as the design of the other aspects of the front end of a bullet. Fer instance, the thickness of the jacket material.

From an '06, Sierra's 165-grain HPBT will blow goop out the far side of a deer, like something out of a Peckinpaugh movie.

For heavy-boned animals, the overall design is less complicated if they don't try to make a hollowpoint do the same work as something like the Nosler Partition, etc.

Hollowpoints give tighter groups, generally; it's due to more of the mass being to the rear and thus it can zip along in a more stable condition.

Art

H&Hhunter

Sodapop,
Barnes X makes a whole line of the worlds toughest hunting bullets. Thay make a 300, 350 & 400 grain X bullet for your .416. These bullets are hollow points with a solid copper base accurate hard hitting and they retain weight like nothing else on the market. Abosolutley devestating bullet.
On the down side not all rifles will shot them my Winchester Mod.70s love em. The other down side is that they copper foul like the Devil himself. If your going to use them go and get some Sweets 7.62 and some Rem bore cleaner. You'll need it.
As far as cut off point barnes also makes a 500 Gr X for the .458 as well as 600 Gr for .505 I'm not sure the .50 cal or the .60 cal bullets are hollow points or not. As far as penetration the X bullets are up there with any if not better than most premium partion bullets.