Where's the best place to buy rosewood grips for my browning hi power?

micksis86

As the title suggests I'm looking for some rosewood grips for my browning hi power and I'm having a bit of trouble finding any. Can anyone suggest somewhere I may be able to find some?

KyJim

Esmeralda makes some of the most beautiful wood grips around. You get the exact set of grips you see on her website. If she doesn't have exactly what you want, contact her.

BTW, as I understand it, "rosewood" is sort of a generic name for a number of hardwoods. Cocobolo is one of those.

Rifleman1776

First you get a piece of rosewood, then the files and saws......add some elbow grease and......voila......you have grips.

Auto426

I bought a pair of Hogues for my Hi Power. They lock nice, the checkering is sharp, and they fit the gun very well. They also don't have those annoying corners on the rear of the grip like the stock plastic pieces. You can find them at most of the major online stores like Miday or Optics Planet.

Olympus

KYJim is right. Rosewood is a generic term. Most people use it interchangeably with cocobolo, but that is not correct. There are all kinds of custom grip makers who can accommodate your request. You can go to various 1911 forums and find all kinds of photo galleries of custom 1911 grips.

Here are some examples of non-cocobolo rosewood:

PA260074.jpg

P7260062.jpg

P7090058.jpg

P6180058.jpg

EdInk

Those 1911 grips are gorgeous! (I would need some checkering on them though.)

Anyway, I would try Hogue, Esmerelda, Altamont and Eagle grips for some BHP wood grips. You might even try Numrich for some old factory ones.

Silent Bob

Craig Spegel's are by far the best, but can be pricey and you may have to wait for them as he makes them in batches. They are worth it though. The Herrett's Cocobolos from CDNN are not bad at all however, especially for the price. They have sharp checkering and look very good, but are thicker then the Spegels.

zxcvbob

CDNN has cocobolo grips for Hi-Powers. They also had holly, and I was going to order a set but I waited too long and they sold out :( (holly is white and looks like ivory)

jaughtman

+1 for Spegel............

at least I think - I ordered a set for my BHP from him a few weeks ago and am not expecting them until May or June. You can get standard grade from him for around $45 so they are not as expensive as some people belive. I would LOVE a pair of Esmeralda's or Hakan's but just can not bring myself to drop $100 on grips. Altamont does have some interesting options too.

J