where would bullet impact be?

old fart

I just got a new Savage Axis 308 and have a question. I only have 80 yards in my back yard to set my scope right now, I normally set it on a local farm 2 inches high at 100 yards but they have cattle in there for the next several weeks and I wanted to go ahead and get it set. If I had it set at 2 inches high at 100 yards, where would the 80 yard impact be? I am using Fiocchi 165 grain soft point or Hornady American Whitetail 165 grain soft point. Thanks for any help.

kilotanker22

.5" low at 25 yards will give you close to that zero for 100 yards. If your windage is good, .5" low at 25 would be close to 2" high at 100. Dead on at 25 yards usually gives me about 4 MOA high at 100 usually.

Last edited:

tangolima

Assuming you have scope, I would have 1.5” at 80yd to have 2” at 100yd. It is an first order estimation.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BornFighting88

I agree with above. MOA is ~1” at 100 yards. So that would stand to reason that 0.8” at 80 yards would be similar, no??

If you are printing 3/4” high at 80 yards, then it could be argued that as the bullet continues its climb toward max height before gravity takes over, and 20 yards not being all that much distance to cover for a bullet screaming out of a rifle…. Then I would be comfortable saying put it at 3/4” high at 80 yards.

jmhyer

Several have said it...or have been really close. To be exact, a ballistics calculator would need the exact height of your scope center above the bore center (which you didn't provide), the exact muzzle velocity of the round out of your rifle (which is really only possible with a chronograph), the weight of the projectile (which you provided), and the BC of the projectile (which can usually be found on the interweb with little difficulty). Temperature, humidity, altitude, and barometric pressure can all have some effect. Having said all that, the correct answer could be anywhere from 1.3-1.6 inches high at 80 yards to be 2 inches high at 100 yards. I'd split the difference and go for 1.5 inches. Inside 300 yards, no deer-sized game will know the difference.