Where were Interarms PPK's made?

P99AS9

Specifically the ones that are marked "Made in USA". I know the pre-Interarms pistols were made in Germany, and after Interarms they were made in Houlton, Maine by S&W. Are these

*I have seen some older Interarms models marked as "Made in W. Germany" but I'm really wondering about the more recent stainless ones.

carguychris

IIRC the Interarms "Made in USA" pistols were assembled in Alexandria, VA.

Interarms also imported PPK's made by Manurhin in France, but I don't think you're concerned with those.

jaughtman

At least some of them.....

Were manufactored by "Ranger Manufactoring" here in Alabama - which interests me as I have one and live in Alabama - but have never been able to find out anything about the company. Apparently they are no longer around.

J

Jeff OTMG

Those were made by Ranger Manufacturing in Gadsden Alabama. Actually the Walthers made after WWII were made by Manhurin in France. They were polished more and sent to Germany for the 'made in Germany' stamp. The Walther plant was in East Germany and West Germany could not build guns after WWII. Walther production in France continued until sometime in the 1980's.

jaughtman

Ranger......

Those were made by Ranger Manufacturing in Gadsden Alabama

Do you know anything about them? Did they ever produce any other firearms? I live about 40 miles south of Gadsden and never knew there was a firearms manufactorer there until I bought a PPK and researched it.

J

gyvel

According to an article on the Cheaper Than Dirt website, a contract was actually let out from Carl Walther to Ranger Mfg. Co. Don't know if their info is correct or not.

alloy

I think Ranger became Black Creek Manufacturing after Interarms went defunct and S&W picked up the Walther USA contract.
The frames with the triangle and line under the grip were cast at Pine Tree Casting Casting. (Sturm Ruger).

Line Rider

Walther's that were made in the 1980' and 1990's were made to the old EMCO plant in Gadsden. EMCO may have been bought out or changed their name to Ranger. I remember serveral people work there during that time who could buy Walther's straight out of the plant.

BlueTrain

I don't think any guns were ever made in Alexandria but one could be forgiven for thinking so because there used to be several buildings with large signs saying they contained ammunition. And that was in upscale old town. But that all went away after Interarms shut down, presumably because the founder passed away. That has been a while. They were not related to the now also closed Potomac Arms (Hunter's Haven), also on Prince Street, also partly because the founder passed away, too. They were just a few doors apart.

But I've got a question unrelated to Walthers but about another gun sold by Interarms. Where was the Virginia Dragoon revolvers made? Was it Bealeton, Virginia, in the building where gun shows are now held?

Last edited:

alloy

I think Interarms closed around the time his daughter shot a Argentine polo player on her Alexandria horse farm. '96 or '97 It was kind of a big deal. The shooting, not the gun company.
My limited understanding is the daughter ran it into the ground with basically no interest in keeping it going, horses and dead polo players being expensive.

BlueTrain

I should remember something like that but I don't, my memory being what it is. However, there was something of a small community of such people in Northern Virginia, some of whom are still around. Thomas B. Nelson is another one. A funny thing is how at one time, it was thought that being an international arms dealer like Interarms was something of a problem, what with dangerous things being sold to suspect people. Yet national governments, of which our is only one, do so on a regular basis and by the shipload, with little comment.

Last edited:

jaughtman

EMCO?

Walther's that were made in the 1980' and 1990's were made to the old EMCO plant in Gadsden. EMCO may have been bought out or changed their name to Ranger. I remember serveral people work there during that time who could buy Walther's straight out of the plant.

What else, if anything, did EMCO make? Any other guns? I travel through that area and have always been kind of facinated that such a major firearms industry was there that not many people here in Bama even knew about.

J