where to have guns background checked

legacy94

i asked at my local police dept about having my guns serial number checked to make sure it's clean.i didn't get it from gun shop,got it from a friend )i was told by them that they can't do it there.----i thought they could?

is there a place to check on-line or should i give my local state police office a call?

the other thing i was told is that i don't have to register it.they said " we don't do that in N.H."--is that a good thing?

mtnboomer

Your local police CAN check your gun - they just don't want to take the time. Try your state police or state Bureau of Investigation.

As for registering your gun, most states don't require it if a gun is purchased privately. Also, in most states the police don't register guns, that's done by the gun shop where you bought it.

Majic

You do know that if that handgun turns up on the stolen sheet then you have just lost a handgun. The LEO will confiscate it and return it to the owner.

legacy94

"You do know that if that handgun turns up on the stolen sheet then you have just lost a handgun. The LEO will confiscate it and return it to the owner."---Majic

well by what my friend told me(he's the one i got it from) his roommate left it behind when he was shipped out to be stationed over in germany.he was told he couldn't bring it with him so he left it behind.

3yrs later it's mine.

btw-who is LEO?

Sir William

LEO=Law Enforcement Officer. I am aware of only one incident that involved a stolen revolver being used as a CCW. No charges were filed and the weapon was confiscated and destroyed as the original complainant could not be found.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Your local police CAN check your gun - they just don't want to take the time. Try your state police or state Bureau of Investigation.
Correct on both counts. It takes all of about 30 seconds to check a gun through NCIC, and is something I'd recommend to anyone thinking about purchasing or trading for a used firearm, prior to acquiring it. If it comes back a hit, you're not out anything, and hopefully, you've helped return a stolen firearm back to its real owner. But get caught with a stolen firearm down the road, and you're looking at a felony if you can't prove where you got it. One thing I should warn you of, however, is that NCIC often returns a "false hit" on firearms, and if the operator is asleep at the switch, or not experienced, (s)he won't catch it as such. What happens is that an inquiry requires the make, model, caliber, and serial number, BUT! the database searches ONLY on serial number. So, if you have a Kimber .45, serial number X123X, and there is a Remington 870 12 ga., serial number X123X entered as stolen, it will still come back a hit. If this happens, make damned sure whoever read the results read the WHOLE result. It would be ironed out eventually, but could be one hell of a hassle until it is.

In your particular situation, it may be that the agency you contacted to run it was small and doesn't have an NCIC terminal. Many don't, and have to run everything through either the county SO or the SP. Or, it could be that the person you spoke with needs to put down the coffee and jelly donut, take his eyes off of the swimsuit issue of Playboy, and do his damned job.

legacy94

Sir William said:
LEO=Law Enforcement Officer.

thanks

capt charlie said:
In your particular situation, it may be that the agency you contacted to run it was small and doesn't have an NCIC terminal. Many don't,and have to run everything through either the county SO or the SP.

they did say that they didn't have the terminal for it.

Bonstrosity

since you do kind of know the parties who have owned the gun is there a reason to worry? If you do have to worry so much should you have bought the gun?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
they did say that they didn't have the terminal for it.
Okeedoke. Then to the deputy so accused, my apologies, resume sipping coffee, clean the jelly off your tie, and.... uh, could I borrow that Playboy when you're done with it? :D

legacy94

Bonstrosity said:
since you do kind of know the parties who have owned the gun is there a reason to worry?
not really worried,just curious as to the history an to find out if it was a service gun (seeing that i read that they were made for use by the military and police.)

Bonstrosity said:
If you do have to worry so much should you have bought the gun?

it was a gift(in a way) friends wife wanted it out of the house an seeing that he didn't pay for it no charge for me :D

IZinterrogator

Or, it could be that the person you spoke with needs to put down the coffee and jelly donut, take his eyes off of the swimsuit issue of Playboy, and do his damned job.
Playboy makes a swimsuit issue? Damn, what a waste of paper. :D