Where to get Tung Oil?

I am refinishing my Mauser... Where would be a good place to get Tung Oil? I already checked Wal Mart? Kinda shocked they didn't have any...

You think Home Depot will have it?

Any particular brand that is better than others?

Shorts

Maybe Lowe or Home Depot. They have the stuff on the shelves here at the base exchange. Not at WalMart? I'm stumped :D

Harry Bonar

tung oil

Sir;
Tung oil is an excellent choice!
You will have a hard time getting pure tung oil but try a Marine supply - it's used on boats for treating Teak wood.
Harry B.

Last edited:

Doyle

The tung oil finishes you get from the big box hardware stores aren't really tung oil - they are varnishes that contain very little (if any) actual tung oil in them. I've used Minwax brand tung oil finish to do a couple of stocks and it seems to work ok. True tung oil can be had from the specialty woodworking mail-order sites. However, pure tung oil takes a LONG time to properly cure.

SilentHitz

1st you put your tung in a vise, then...:eek: Seriously, I got mine at the hardware store near me. As others stated, check to make sure it's the real deal.

Ledbetter

As pointed out, Tung Oil Finish is mostly varnish.

You want "100% Tung Oil." You can thin it with 100% mineral spirits. It does take a LONG time to dry/cure.

jmr40

Every Walmart that I have been in carries a product called Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It is usually with the gun cleaning supplies. This is a formula of tung oil designed for gun finishing. The bottle is small looking but it is enough for at least 2 guns. Rub it in with your bare hands until there are no runs. Wait several hours between coats. As the finish builds up it takes very little for each new coat. I usually apply 8-10 coats and wipe down with 0000 steel wool when finished.

Ruger4570

I bought a bottle of 100% pure tung oil from a company named "The Real Milk Paint Co." Their website is www.realmilkpaint.com
It is the real thing, not too pricy and a 8oz bottle will probably last you a lifetime.
I used it on 2 gunsstocks so far and hardly dented the amount in the bottle. It gives a great "oil" finish and drys overnight or faster.

armedandsafe

I like Tung oil. It works well as a finish and protectant.

However, I sure like to find a source of the oil we used on Dad's FN Mauser in 48. He got a one ounce bottle of it from a friend in Ohio and it lasted until about 68. Apparently, nobody is pressing oil from cherry seeds, anymore. :(

Pops