Where to get parts

hbhobby

I have a turkish mauser that i want to build from action. Where is the bet place to get a barrel blank? I have a place to get a 90% stock and have found a gunsmith to put barrel on action. He said it would be best if i were to get the barrel and bring it to him. I dont want to break the bank just a decent .308 barrel blank

hbhobby

now what twist rate?

Ok. I have located where to get all the parts I need to make a gun for my son for hunting, now the question is twist rate. I am going to have the gun chambered for .30-06 and don't know what twist rate to get. they come in 1-8, 1-10, 1-12, the gun will be used mostly for hunting deer and elk so medium sized bullets 140-180 grain size mostly with the occasional small ones for coyotes and then the very rare big ones just cuz I can. So what would the best twist rate be for an .30-06 with these uses?

One of the first persons to try to develop a formula for calculating the correct rate of twist for firearms, was George Greenhill, a mathematics lecturer at Emanuel College in Cambridge, England. His formula is based on the rule that the twist required in calibers equals 150 divided by the length of the bullet in calibers. This can be simplified to:
Twist = 150 X D2/L
Where:
D = bullet diameter in inches
L= bullet length in inches
150 = a constant
This formula had limitations, but worked well up to and in the vicinity of about 1,800 f.p.s. For higher velocities most ballistic experts suggest substituting 180 for 150 in the formula. The twist formulas used in the Load From a Disk program, featured at this web site, uses a modified Greenhill formula in which the "150" constant is replaced by a series of equations that allow corrections for muzzle velocity from 1,100 to 4,000 fps.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July01.htm

Clark

attachment.php

I have been sporterizing Mausers for 48 years and have worked on dozens of my own Turkish Mausers.

What is right for me now, is probably not what is right for you now.

It is never cost effective to sporterize Mausers.
You have to want to do it.
The more you do yourself, the cheaper it gets for one rifle.
But like reloading, it winds up costing more in the long run, as you just get more involved in the sport.

For $600 you can get a good barrel put on an action.
http://www.pac-nor.com/pricelist/

Attachments

• Paul'sTurk 223.jpg
    Paul'sTurk 223.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 298

hbhobby

thanks for the input

I got all of the parts ordered and I found a gunsmith that will put the barrel on the action for $150 then another $225 for parts will make me about $400 into a gun that my son and I will build together,then a few odds andends such as scope and rings and mounts so I figure another $300-$400, so that when I am dead and gone he will have something to remember that will mean more than a gun bought for him. later I will teach him how to hand load so the bonding time will be forever increasing. then the shooting and hunting we will hopefully be able to do together should be fun as well. So I am not trying to make a cheap gun or a tack driver just some memories that will last longer than level two of call of duty.

I appreciate all the input and help you all have been. I am looking forward to the build.