Where should I zero

eddy615

I have a 7mm Rem Mag shooting 139gr Hornaday SST. I want to know at what range I should zero my gun in for. I'm hunting deer and coyotes with it and I want to be able to make a long poke. Any suggestion???

uncyboo

I try to zero all my hunting rifles (big game) at 200 yds., with the exception of the dedicated "thick-stuff" gun, a Ruger Mini-30. It's sighted in at 100. This has always included the "standard" cartridges and the magnums.

golfballshootr

The 200 yard zero is good. The 7MM Rem with the 139's will still keep you on a coyote holding on the higher portion of the body, not over the back, at 300 yards.

But really though, if you are going to take long shots, you need to shoot/practice at some of the distances you expect to have hunt shots at. You can find some decent BDC scopes out there and with a good range finder, can help in clean kills, but just my opinion, unless you are used to shooting out to and beyond 300, you don't need to start there with hunting, that needs to start at the range.

Old Time Hunter

eddy, actually 275 yard zero would be about perfect. At 100 yards it'll be +3" roughly and still be hitting the kill zone at 400 yards. You must be near potato fields or something to worry about long shots in Wisconsin. In 44 years of hunting in Wisconsin the longest shot I took was 110 or so yards...then again I believe in hunting, shooting is the secondary action.

Legionnaire

My approach is a bit different. I sight all my centerfire hunting rifles two inches high at 100 yards. The point blank range varies by cartridge, but in all cases I'm good to hold dead on out to 250 or more. Don't really need to start using Kentucky windage until close to 300 yards.

Target rifle with a good click-adjustable scope is a different matter. That's zeroed at 100, and I dial in come-ups as necessary.

Jobfix

7MM Mag Zero

Not knowing your bullet velocity, 300yds zero would put into 10" window out to approx. 350yds, using Sierra's "Maximum Point Blank Range" theory of middle hold on the target. Velocity 3000~3200fps/140gr bullet.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I'm with Legionnaire with all of my center fires except the 30-30 and 32 Win spcl. I rarely see a shot more than 150 yards, 300 possible and 60 most likely but out of force of habit its 2" over the POI at 100 yards and I feel good to go. With the 2 lever guns I am zeroed at 100 yards and just won't shot farther than 150, ever.

Again my usual range is under 100 and 60 is typical. Not sure where you are shooting but most of the area around there that I'm familiar with a 300 yard shot is going to be an exceptionally long shot unless you are shooting from an elevated stand over a field.

eddy615

Old Timer Hunter your exactly right. Hunt just north of the potatoe fields on all the corn fields of rural stevens point

Thanks everyone for your input

James R. Burke

Were I hunt in the U.P. of Michigan most shots are under 100 yards. Most folks sight in for 100 yards. I have the L.R.D. system on my scope that I doubt I will ever use, but its nice no turning or adjusting stuff. The only ohter thing I do is when out shooting I get to know what it will do at a closer or farther range. I was at the range one day and a guy I know very well was sighting his rifle in for 300 yards for a elk trip he was taking. When he got done I set up a gallon milk jug filled with water and die at 100 yards. I told him if he was shooting good at 100 your good to move out farther. I said go ahead and break it free arm. He said with his scope it would be like nothing to hit at that range. About twelve shots later he sat back down on the rest and broke it.

GallowGlass

Longrange Poke

3 inches high from POI, 50 yds. Caliber & loads vary,but you're in the zone out long. Hope it is standing still. Legionnaire is in the game,check some charts on bullet drop/rise & dial it in. 7mm Rem.Mag is a Killer.

Dave R

Where should you zero? I think you should zero it in at the range.

[rimshot]

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Try the veal....

T. O'Heir

If you're only hunting deer and coyotes, sell it and buy something that has less felt recoil and muzzle blast. A .270 will do what you want without the recoil and muzzle blast and you'll still be able to take long shots, if you're up to 'em.

Dr. Strangelove

I deer hunt with the same caliber, but I use the 154gr SST. I sight for 2" high at 100yds and my load averages 3013fps.

What range do you want to shoot? With the exception of soy bean fields and power lines, here in GA most of my shots have been >50yds. My longest shot that produced a dead deer was 330yds. (.270win)

22-rimfire

I also would zero at 2" high at 100 yds like others have said. Plus it is easier to find a 100 yd range than a 200 yd+ range to do the sighting in.