Where should I draw the line on high powered defensive guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

briandg

With a good hit, most people seem to agree that a 9mm or .40 with good defensive ammunition is enough to stop a threat in most cases. Some insist that nothing short of a .357 or .45 ACP should be used as a defensive carry gun.

I am just asking, where do we draw that line? When do we reach a level of lethality and potential damage that we are throwing away either practical carry or controllability? This is all presuming that a good hit was made with any of the above rounds.

Is a .44 magnum with deer loads too powerful to be desirable as a practical defensive carry pistol? I think that it is. .45 colt monster loads? Is there anyone at all who would walk out the door carrying a redhawk in .454 or .500?

Would anyone here go after a 100-200 pound missouri whitetail with a .458 magnum with african game loads? I know that lots of people carry 12 gauge slugs because of game laws, but would anyone choose that 3" magnum slug if they had the opportunity carry a .308?

Yes, I know that there are people who hunt with a 45-70 with monster loads. I think that it's unnecessary to throw a 300 grain JHP at over 2,000 fps when millions of deer have been taken with traditional bottle necked rounds from 30-06 on downward.

Lohman446

I once passed on a small deer I would have normally shot with my .270. But I had dropped the .270 on the scope before the morning hunt and was sitting in my blind with a .375 Holland and Holland with 300 grain rounds. I have since found a .243 to be plenty for Whitetail.

For pistols if I am hiking or around the farm where I am much more likely to meet wild animals than an aggressive person I figure a 10MM is a good place to draw the line. If I am out in the city the line lately has been drawn at a 5 shot J-frame .357 loaded with .38 and had been in the past a 9MM.

It seems a good share of people are drawing the line at 9MM but I have not heard a lot of good reasons why the 9MM is "just right" while the .380 is not enough and the .40 is too much. The few arguments I do here always strike me as incredibly circular in nature.

Remember the line is a lot of different things to different people. There are some people who simply don't feel comfortable with less than 100 rounds on them. If I am left hiking from my truck to home in winter (it can get pretty rural) I would like a 10MM and in the neighborhood of 100 or so rounds of ammunition on me. Do I see using it? No but I would not have to worry would I?

Maybe its just one of those things where having way too much is preferable to having one too few.

Shot placement is everything. Better to be an expert shot with a 22 LR than Bob Bozo with a 44 Mag. Lotsa noise but no hits is not defensive firepower.

Lohman446

Shot placement is everything. Better to be an expert shot with a 22 LR than Bob Bozo with a 44 Mag. Lotsa noise but no hits is not defensive firepower.

But that is not the question asked

This is all presuming that a good hit was made with any of the above rounds.

The OP specified a "good" hit.

Where you should draw the line? Outside of a strong argument as to why I would draw the line for "top end" on the power spectrum wherever my local police department did. That way I would not have to explain in court why I was using some "super deadly" gun. I say that noting my preference for a 10MM but I carry that because my primary concern is not two legged in nature where I am carrying it.

44 AMP

Staff
When do we reach a level of lethality...

Can you define a "level of lethality"???

I can't.

As far as I can tell, something is either dead, or its not. Kind of like pregnancy. You either are or you aren't. There's no "levels"...

SIGSHR

Only the hits count. Charlie Askins did pretty well with a 38 Special, as did Jim Cirillo, countless others whose names are not well known. Bill Jordan noted that while a follow up shot would probably not needed on an opponent hit with a 44 Magnum, he might have a confederate, a follow up shot on him would be difficult.
Jeff Cooper emphasized the Combat Mindset, I would call it the Combat Attitude. Massad Ayoob wrote that the underlying factor in Charlie Askins' gunfight was that he was a stone cold killer who never hesitated for one second to pull the trigger. Charlie was also a bullseye champion, I recall an article in which one top defensive pistol instructor said he made his students learn to group, Bill Jordan wrote that "Speed is fine but Accuracy is Final."

American Man

My personal preference is 9mm 147gr HST for CC. A lot of the psychos recently have been wearing body armor... so that has been in the back of my mind. As long as you have a proven JHP or FTX projectile, and don't miss, it won't be too much for 44mag on down... not including the 5.7 ammo. FMJ and the Hardcasts for CC is not a great idea. We can what-if a lot of things but my compromise is having some hardcasts for penetration in my spare mag.

I do carry hornady 125 FTX in my M&P340CT... it's not punishing as most .357 but it is packing a wallop and will hopefully not over penetrate.

Regarding hunting, I don't mind stories of hearing people using something with too much power or more power than necessary... it can be annoying though. But, what pisses me off is people not using enough power or taking an unethical shot.

COSteve

I've got to agree with Lohman446's thinking here. Drawing the line for me is situationally dependent.

In the Rockies, I'll have my 6" Custom Glock G20L, 10mm with 17+1rds of 180grn or 200grn hardcast as a defensive weapon as I want to be able to defend against 2 or 4 legged dangers.

As a home defense platform, I use my 6" Custom Glock as a G21L, 45acp with 14+1rds of 200grn Gold Dot handloads as a backup to get to my M1 Carbine with 30rds of 110grn JSP handloads for HD.

As a CCW, I use my Glock G23 with 180grn Speer Gold Dot handloads as my SD choice.

Different situations with different requirements produce different choices. However, YMMV

reteach

I agree with Lohman446. If my local police department (in my case, multiple PDs and sheriff's departments) carry, for example, 9mm, that's a good place to draw the line. Regardless what we might think of the FBI, they do spend a lot of money testing and researching guns and ammo. Some PDs do their own testing and research, as well. Why not take advantage of all that information? And there is Lohman446's secondary reason, the advantage of being able to say in court, "I carry what the local PD carries."

Full disclosure - While 9mm/ .38 Spl used to be my carry calibers, these days I usually carry a .380 or a .32 H&R Mag.

Wyosmith

Dead is dead.

Power is to be considered more because of the area you live in, not because a kill with a 378 Weatherby leaves a larger wound then one made with a 9MM pistol. Any gun will do if you can do a good job with that gun. The issue is what gun is easiest for you to do a good job with.

I live way out in the country. My nearest neighbor is about 650 yards from me and over a small rise. My next closest one is a few miles away. So my "home gun" is an FN-FAL loaded with the same ammo I've killed elk with. I didn't ever buy a gun just for "home defense". I'd just use what I have. If you live in town on a crowded street I would not recommend such a gun for your uses. But an AR or AK with hollow points is outstanding, as is an SKS, 9MM carbine, 40 S&W carbine, or even an M-1 carbine.

Long guns are FAR better to fight with then handguns, so I'd recommend a rifle or shotgun for ALL applications of home defense over every handgun. Handguns are for carry. You can't schedule an emergence, and that is why carrying is so important in the defense of life. BUT if you have even 4 seconds to prepare, a long arm is FAR better and if someone is breaking into you home in most cases you'll have a few seconds to grab a gun. I carry at all times, but just because I am used to having a handgun on my waist. Itt's not likely I am going to be attacked at home and caught unaware at the end of a 1-1/4 mile drive and with my 3 dogs that bark when a deer goes by.

If you don't think a shotgun or rifle is better ask yourself why all militarys in the world issue rifles instead of handguns for general fighting.

A person who has only a few hours of training with a rifle is VERY deadly at 20 yards even if they never fired a gun in their lives before that time. a 10/22 in the hands of someone that can use it is a hard thing to get past unsaved.
The same is NOT true with handguns. It takes a LOT more time and practice to be proficient at hitting moving targets with a handgun. ANY handgun.

Buy a handgun and get enough practice to hit a milk jug swinging on a string 100% of the time at 15 yards. Buy a shotgun or rifle as a home defense gun and do the same test. You'll find it takes about 1 hour to get to a point you'll hit the milk jug most times with a long arm. It may take you weeks or months 9in some cases years) to get that good with a handgun.

And you'll loose that skill level faster and more with the handgun then you do with the rifle in protracted periods of time in which you do not practice.

1-2 good hits with a 22 rifle is far better then a miss or even a non-vital hit with a 9mm or 45.
And 1 torso hit from an AR or an AK with hollow point ammo or a blast of #4 buck shot is better than the 9MM 45 or the 22LRs.

jmr40

I think that it's unnecessary to throw a 300 grain JHP at over 2,000 fps when millions of deer have been taken with traditional bottle necked rounds from 30-06 on downward.

Actually a 30-06 with 180 gr and heavier bullets will outperform any 45-70 load on game. Despite the myth, 45-70 is a step down in performance. When the 30-30 was introduced it killed off the 45-70 for almost 100 years because it was the more effective round. 45-70 was basically dead from about 1890 until Marlin brought it back in 1973 with colorful advertising making people think they were buying something powerful.

That said, I believe you should use whatever makes you happy. Especially for hunting as long as it is up to the job and you're willing to accept its limitations.

Any modern rifle cartridge 26 caliber on up will take every game animal in North America. And even the centerfires as small as 223 will kill most of them, but starting at 26 caliber you have enough bullet weight and SD to get enough penetration for all of them. A good argument can be made that there is no need for anything bigger.

But everyone has their favorites, often for illogical reasons. I often hunt with certain guns, or calibers simply for the nostalgia or because of family history. Nothing wrong with that at all. We hunt for fun and there is no reason why it has to be the most efficient tool. Aesthetics and nostalgia can be important.

I have a more pragmatic view when it comes to SD. I have no interest in carrying grandpa's old gun just because it was grandpa's to defend myself. I will use his old rifles and shotguns for hunting. And I'm not interested in anything smaller than 9mm in a handgun.

RaySendero

American Man wrote:

Regarding hunting, I don't mind stories of hearing people using something with too much power or more power than necessary... it can be annoying though.

AM, "annoying" can work both ways!

While I do agree with Lohman446 that a .243W is enough rifle for whitetail deer.
I tend to rotate all my rifles through the deer season.
So it is annoying to me, if others say a 9.3 or a 458 are inappropriate "overkill."
I do this to say familiar with all my rifles (i.e. trigger pull, sight-ins, trajectory, etc.).
The 9.3 and the 458 are not "overkill".
They both simply kill deer with no tracking.

labnoti

With a good hit, most people seem to agree that a 9mm or .40 with good defensive ammunition is enough to stop a threat in most cases. Some insist that nothing short of a .357 or .45 ACP should be used as a defensive carry gun.

The .40 S&W is a step up from the .45 ACP.

I am just asking, where do we draw that line? When do we reach a level of lethality and potential damage that we are throwing away either practical carry or controllability? This is all presuming that a good hit was made with any of the above rounds.

Most people do draw the line based on practical carry or controllability. Even with a .40 S&W, many people have trouble when the gun is only 22 oz. The .40 was originally chambered in a 39-ounce semi-automatic S&W 4006. A .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum are typically chambered in revolvers weighing well over 40 ounces to be controllable. More people these days consider twenty-something ounces as the most they'd be willing to carry. They also find 9x19mm the most practical to control in that weight range.

Is a .44 magnum with deer loads too powerful to be desirable as a practical defensive carry pistol? I think that it is. .45 colt monster loads? Is there anyone at all who would walk out the door carrying a redhawk in .454 or .500?

They are not too powerful. They just require, in order for a person to have good control of it, a gun that's too heavy. The FBI has previously published a dismissal of concerns about over-penetration. Because hit rates are so low in actual shootings, the overwhelming concern for collateral damage should be placed on reducing stray bullets rather than the rare bullet that hits its target but overpenetrates. So the presumably excess power of a heavy Magnum is of little concern. But it does require a very heavy gun to deliver it. That is a very practical concern for most people.

There is some skepticism and even results of research that the additional power of a .44 Magnum (for example) does not add any "stopping power" against human targets. Specifically, FBI researchers and their collaborators with ammunition companies like Vista Outdoors (Federal and Speer), have suggested that once sufficient penetration is achieved with expanding bullets, more velocity does not add anything until the bullet exceeds a certain threshold that overcomes the tissue's elasticity and causes remote wounding effects. They've pegged that velocity at 2200 fps. All of this is disputed by others. What is clear is that a bullet would need more than a little bit of power beyond a 9x19mm to make a big difference, and that increase is certainly going to require a more massive gun to control.

Would anyone here go after a 100-200 pound missouri whitetail with a .458 magnum with african game loads? I know that lots of people carry 12 gauge slugs because of game laws, but would anyone choose that 3" magnum slug if they had the opportunity carry a .308?

Yes, I know that there are people who hunt with a 45-70 with monster loads. I think that it's unnecessary to throw a 300 grain JHP at over 2,000 fps when millions of deer have been taken with traditional bottle necked rounds from 30-06 on downward.

The performance on game animals brings about the same questions about "hydrostatic shock" or remote wounding effects on human targets -- but typically with the opposite effect desired. Essentially, a low velocity load employed against game could potentially reduce meat damage. A .375 H&H Magnum has a massive amount of energy for a small target like whitetail. But the heavy bullet is going much slower than a .257 Weatherby, or even a .223 Remington. Either of those 3300+fps cartridges could result in more meat damage than a .375 H&H. It also depends on bullet construction and shot placement.

Sp the big and slow crowd have an argument in their favor based on reduced meat damage. But there are also proponents of big and slow for "man-stopping." The .45 ACP is one cartridge championed by them, but perhaps an even better example would be the .458 Socom. The 5.56x45mm round should have the velocity for all the hydrostatic shocking effect the FBI regards out of reach for handgun rounds. But to increase the AR-15's/M4's percentage of one-shot incapacitations, the .458 Socom was developed where a larger diameter bullet is sent at velocities much slower than what the FBI claims is the threshold for hydrostatic shock. Is it more effective than the 5.56x45mm?

Ultimately, the answer may not matter because people overwhelmingly prefer light guns and light recoil. I don't foresee a large-caliber cartridge with heavy bullets proliferating in either handguns or carbines because it would generate more recoil and mandate heavier guns while reducing the capacity per weight. Cartridges like the 5.7x28 and 5.56x45 may have gone too light for their intended purpose, but I don't predict a shift back to .45 or .50 caliber and 250 grain or heavier bullets.

Last edited:

American Man

AM, "annoying" can work both ways!

While I do agree with Lohman446 that a .243W is enough rifle for whitetail deer.
I tend to rotate all my rifles through the deer season.
So it is annoying to me, if others say a 9.3 or a 458 are inappropriate "overkill."
I do this to say familiar with all my rifles (i.e. trigger pull, sight-ins, trajectory, etc.).
The 9.3 and the 458 are not "overkill".
They both simply kill deer with no tracking.
That's great.

TBM900

Practice
Placement
Penetration

All trump caliber when it comes to the most common defensive pistol & revolver calibers
Everything else is generally hype, rumors, feelings, hyperbole, etc, but very little actual fact
Get out and start handgun hunting (or other applicable) to see for yourself

MTT TL

I am just asking, where do we draw that line?

Learning that there is no line might allow you to live a happier life.

When do we reach a level of lethality and potential damage that we are throwing away either practical carry or controllability?

A .22 is lethal and can potentially cause enough damage to kill a large, healthy full sized man within moments of a single shot. A 454 Casull can merely wound a man and allow him plenty of opportunity to do you in.

Is a .44 magnum with deer loads too powerful to be desirable as a practical defensive carry pistol?

I think that it is.

Asked and answered by you.

.45 colt monster loads?

50AE??

Is there anyone at all who would walk out the door carrying a redhawk in .454 or .500?

Of course there are. I hear these are popular up in Alaska.

Would anyone here go after a 100-200 pound missouri whitetail with a .458 magnum with african game loads?

You should have put up a poll.

I know that lots of people carry 12 gauge slugs because of game laws, but would anyone choose that 3" magnum slug if they had the opportunity carry a .308?

When hunting with slugs I prefer the standard size 2 3/4". Most often I deer hunt with 308. However when hunting on my own land I prefer to use a 12 GA slug to lessen the probability of it leaving the property in the event of a miss. So I would say it really depends.

I think that it's unnecessary to throw a 300 grain JHP at over 2,000 fps when millions of deer have been taken with traditional bottle necked rounds from 30-06 on downward.

I used to hunt with .30-06 most often. It is a tremendously powerful cartridge. In the old 220gr loadings people successfully hunted elephant and lions without issue. .30-06 is still used for Polar and Grizzly Bear Defense. It is tougher to say what it can't do.

Ballistics 101 tells us that a 300gr bullet at 2000fps generates 2664 foot pounds. A 150gr bullet travelling at 3100fps generates 3200 foot pounds. That 150gr .30 caliber bullet is going to travel much farther, faster and deposit more energy on it's target than any ".45-70 Monster load"

There are no lines. Only situations and choices in how to deal with them. Not everyone chooses wisely, some people have more options than others. This does not make their choice invalid.

Nanuk

Where should I draw the line on high powered defensive guns?

Is a .44 magnum with deer loads too powerful to be desirable as a practical defensive carry pistol? I think that it is.

When I carry a 44 mag for SD duties it is with 180 grn or 200 grn JHP's. I do not feel it is "too much". But I have been a cop for a long time and dealt with some serious crazy people and seen people soak up an awful lot of abuse and still be dangerous.

There are people who have not been stopped by single hits of 12 Gauge 00 buck and or slugs and you are concerned with handgun power?

When do we reach a level of lethality

Lethality is the last thing I am concerned with. I want them to STOP.

Last edited:

TBM900

How about an expert with a 44 magnum?
Such an "expert" will always make faster hits with a "lesser" caliber if equally practiced.

Further...
An "effective" hit with a 44 won't make any practical difference over an identical hit with say a 9mm, at least in the non anecdotal realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.