Where on Earth Can I find Hodgdon 4895?

David Bachelder

I've been looking for this powder a long time and nobody seems to ever have it in stock. I started looking just after most of Covid was gone.

Has it been discontinued and no longer produced by Hodgdon?

It seems to be very versatile and I'd love to give it a try. Sounds like it would work well with a 30/06.

David Bachelder
Trinity Texas, East Texas

It's imported from Australia. Hodgdon's out of stock itself, so I would call them and ask if they know when they will get some again. (913) 362-9455

gwpercle

Powder Valley , www.powdervalley.com , has IMR 4895... In Stock , 1 - lb and 8 - Lb. containers .

They show H4895 as ... Out of Stock

I thought I had read that Hodgdon had bought IMR powders and was now the only maker ... there wpuld be no IMR4895 ...only H4895 !!! So why does powder valley have IMR 4895 for sale and no H4895 ???

I have loaded the 30-06 for over 50 years , first with IMR 4895 and then with H 4895 ...
4895 is my favorite in the 30-06 and many other mid sized cartridges , Match 30-06 was loaded with 4895 .
I don't see any big difference in the two makers powders , start with a mid-range load and work it up slowly . I have bought both and like both ... if you can't get H4895 ... by all means jump on the IMR4895 ... I tend to lean towards IMR4895 because I've burned up more but H4895 works just as well .
Every lot of powder has it slight differences , same with IMR 4895 and H 4895 .

You can now order directly from Powder Valley , I have had powder and brass sent to my door , good company .
Gary

Last edited:

Marco Califo

IMR AND Hodgdon H#### powders are NOT the same. They use different load data.
The "brand distributor" was consolidated to Hodgdon, not only for IMR but also Winchester powders. But the powders remain different products with corresponding load data.
IMR powders seem to outperform H#### powders with the same ####.

RC20

Find it on your local sports site. I would sell you what I have but shipping is impossible from here.

jetinteriorguy

Love H4895, and luckily a few years ago stocked up and still have around 12lbs on my shelf. Works great in my AR with 62gr Sierra Match bullets, it was just a hair better than Varget but a very fine hair so even if I burn it up I at have about 10lbs of Varget waiting in the wings.

akinswi

David,

Are you wanting H4895 to load 30-06? If so its the times we live in ..gone are the good old days when any powder is available .

You may have to find a different powder. Like IMR4895 or Varget or IMR4064.

Hope you find some

FrankenMauser

I thought I had read that Hodgdon had bought IMR powders and was now the only maker
Hodgdon doesn't make any powder.
They are merely a distributor for powders made by other companies, using brand names that Hodgdon owns.

gwpercle

IMR AND Hodgdon H#### powders are NOT the same. They use different load data.
The "brand distributor" was consolidated to Hodgdon, not only for IMR but also Winchester powders. But the powders remain different products with corresponding load data.
IMR powders seem to outperform H#### powders with the same ####.
Thanks for posting the correct information on 4895 ... things get so confusing these days with one company buying another .
I can live with IMR 4895 and what's even better is Powder Valley has it in stock .
Gary

Jim Watson

They are merely a distributor for powders made by other companies, using brand names that Hodgdon owns.

And they change sources every once in a while, too.
We see a lot said about lot to lot variation, how about factory to factory variation with the same label?