where is the nearest 308win ammo dealer to san francisco?

lincoln1

i just got a AR socom 16 and there are no gun shops in SF, sporting goods stores don't carry ammo anymore, and there is a ban on shipping ammo to san francisco, oakland...and marin and napa counties, which surrounds me with a big void. :mad: the couple close by range/gun shops don't carry 308win or are "out". so i am prepared for a small road trip to stock up. does anyone know which is the closest retailer to san francisco that actually has a good selection and stock of 7.62x51m nato equivalent?

lincoln1

there aren't any more gun stores in san francisco, except one - and no, they don't have 308WIN ammo. the ban is related to california anti assualt rifle laws, we cannot have the type of guns the rest of the country can have...even the revised version post ban models, simply because they may have a pistol grip, or folding stock isn't allowed...alot of it has to do with the cosmetics.

san francisco is trying to ban handguns entirely, which though a joke and why the city thinks they are able to violate federally protected rights of every citizen, it nearly passed into law. the pressure was equally put on dealers.

anyways, that chased all of the stores away and even sporting goods stores don't sell ammo here, and marin county is tough. i am not sure if the shipping laws are local, state or county but all of them surround the bay area where UPS or Fedex cannot deliver anything gun related into the zone so i must travel to get what i want. i know somebody who lives in northern california has delt with this as well already so i will wait for friendly advice just to let me know which is the closet drive and in which direction.

Drakejake

I am not sure, but I believe the SF government passed a severe anti-gun measure but it was struck down by a court. I will check on this.

Drakejake

joshua

3 weeks ago the Walmart and Big 5 in Vallejo has 308 ammo, but it's the Remington soft point and the white box stuff. I did not know anything about this shipping ban of ammunition. Does it also include components to reload ammo? I live in Vallejo and to tell you the truth half the gunshops in the area have shut down or on their last breath because of all this nonsense. I'm aware of some of the shops in Vacaville, but this is really driving the cost of my hobby upwards. :( When will the madness stop? josh

Slopemeno

Theres NO ban for shipping ammo to San Francisco. I just got a 300 rd brick of ammo shipped to my door in the city. NO Problems. Keep trying.

As far as ammo locally- try K-mart, Wal Mart, Big-5 (they're as close as Daly City or San Rafael. From my place to the San Rafael store is less then 1/2 hr).
Also in Marin is the Bullseye indoor range, which sells rifle ammo. In the Northbay is Northbay Firearms (formerly Montana Hawk...Talk to Vic.) Also in Santa Rosa is Helms House of Guns.

Most of the local shops went south due to low amounts of business and the higher cost of doing business in the area. In case anyone missed it, this hobby isnt cheap and never was.

lincoln1

i bought the socom from bullseye, they said they didn't have any .308. i will check daly city - and since i pick up the socom from bullseye next week, i will basically be right in san rafael.

who shipped to you? i would be easier for me just order from them online today. thanks

lincoln1

thanks, even closer is big 5 in corte madera. i called, they have 150gr & 180gr core-lokt psp. thanks, big 5 doesn't have on-line shopping is why it it never came up.

as far as the shipping ban, i guess it depends on who you talk to so keep your source under your hat. most i checked with said no to marin & napa co; san francisco, oakland, los angeles cities.

and yes, the SF handgun ban was defeated in court but gavin said he'd appeal. but hey, he has to get re-elected first. maybe we can get mary carey to run.

lincoln1

thanks, even closer is big 5 in corte madera. i called, they have 150gr & 180gr core-lokt psp. thanks, big 5 doesn't have on-line shopping is why it it never came up.

as far as the shipping ban, i guess it depends on who you talk to so keep your source under your hat. most i checked with said no to marin & napa co; san francisco, oakland, los angeles cities.

and yes, the SF handgun ban was defeated in court but gavin said he'd appeal. but hey, he has to get re-elected first. maybe we can get mary carey to run.

HighValleyRanch

Like I posted in another thread, try City Arms in Pacifica, 15 minutes from SF.
Go ocean HWY to skyline, to hwy 1 and take Oceana to Eureka square.
Nice gun store with most everything.

I don't have any association with them, but happened upon it last weeks and liked what I saw.

lincoln1

i already have them on my list to call tomorrow, they are right by the horse ranch i used to frequent. thanks for the input.

saands

I used to work for a large, bureaucratic company ... and with no one home during the day, I could either ship to work and have the shipping folks freak out or ship home and have them leave it (or NOT ... ) by the door. What I realized was that I could also ship directly to the local UPS depot ... I'd just watch the tracking info and swing by at lunch the day it showed up. This might work for you, but I would recommend calling the UPS center in the nearest unoccupied territory first and ask them how to address the package so that you can pick it up. I imagine that there HAS to be a depot in South SF. Then, when you order ... order big to make it worthwhile ... MidwayUSA, AIM Surplus, J&G Sales, etc are all good places to have 65 pound boxes of 308 sent to you. CMP has 30-06 for sure ... they might have 308 ... don't know for sure ... but they ship FedEx.

Saands

HighValleyRanch

lincoln1
it's the nicest shop I've found so far. nice selection of long guns on the walll, with some sniper rifles, bushmasters. keltecs, and the usual other assortment.
Northbay firearms up in Santa Rosa closed down, but they are were bought by another new owner, so it should open some time in the future. Used to have one of the best selections of arms in the North bay.

lincoln1

so apparenty the remington stuff in the "white box" sold at big 5 is better for a m1a as it is 150g UMC and the green box is 180g, pointed soft point. springfield does not recommend soft point, and said 180g is max weight bullet, and please use those sparingly

lincoln1

doubt i will need to sell the socom but wouldn't mind putting big copy of the bill of rights in city hall at my expense.