Where is Springfield M1A made?

jetsfan

I have done some searching but can't seem to find a clear answer. Where is the Springfield M1A made? Do the parts get cast in Brazil and then machined here like some of the 1911's or are they done all here or what? I'm just curious and haven't been able to figure it out.
Thanks

T. O'Heir

The receivers are made in Brazil and finished in the U.S. Where the receiver is made isn't a big deal though. Brazilian workies have made some fine firearms over the years. Neither is the receiver being cast a terrible thing. Your vehicle's engine block is cast.

21CFA

1975-built Springfield M-1

I've been offered a green-box Springfield M-1, all papers, all parts, flash-hider, cheek-piece, 3 magazines original to gun, except sling, in the box, very clean but has had 400~500 rounds through it, per seller. Asking $2500 for it. Do I want it that bad, or is it a less-than-trophy piece at this price? 21CFA

jetsfan

Thanks for the info. I have just been wondering since I associate Springfield in my head with American. I know the XD's aren't and read that some 1911's are. Also, I have been wanting the M1A for quite a while but just can't bring myself to getting it. One hang up has been its origin I guess because I want something that is made here. I have enough foreign guns.

30Cal

I've been offered a green-box Springfield M-1, all papers, all parts, flash-hider, cheek-piece, 3 magazines original to gun, except sling, in the box, very clean but has had 400~500 rounds through it, per seller. Asking $2500 for it. Do I want it that bad, or is it a less-than-trophy piece at this price? 21CFA

About 3x too high for an M1 Garand and about 2x too much for an M1A.

Wayy too much.

ScottsGT

What teh heck is a "Green Box" Springfield?? I've seen the "Green Box" Colt AR-15's, that were "mil spec" made lowers. You could actually fit the rock 'n roll parts in the lower with the addition of one hole drilled through it. Colt later raised the inner deck just in front of the buffer tube so these parts won't fit without a lot of machining.

navajo

too much?

Depends on the serial number and which, if any, GI parts are on it.
Friend of mine just sold a Devine for 3500.

Green box means its an older one, thats all.