Where do you dispose of Ammunition

chaad

Best bet is to pull bullets and dump the powder on the garden. A little WD40 in the case will kill the primer so that it can be punched out, if need be. If the primers and cases are good, just pull the bullets (hammer puller if there aren't too many, collet puller on the press if there are), dump the powder, and reload. Depending on the type of bullets and how they were pulled, theycan probably be reused too.

The powder is hign in nitrogen and works well for plants. Otherwise, I like to make a trail out to the pile and light it at night. Modern powders do not explode, but they burn really pretty.

Good luck from a fellow cheesehead from the home of the World's Largest Sixpack!

ShootingNut

chaad

Thanks, but if I give up my "hobby" against my better judgement to keep some people happy, I don't want to be pulling several K bullets.
I know the local PD or Military, won't take a chance on my reloads, even though they are the best you will ever find! ;)

ludwig1138

Making people happy by making yourself unhappy isn't a good solution to any problem. They'll probably find something else to complain about later on anyway. Keep the bullets.

CrustyFN

Making people happy by making yourself unhappy isn't a good solution to any problem.
I don't think it can be said any better than that. ShootingNut I'm sorry to hear you are having problems I hope everything works out.
Rusty

W.E.G.

I usually just go to the range and start pulling triggers.

Its tough work, but somebody has to do it.

chaad

Shootingnut,

Sorry to hear that you may hanging up the press. I know some folks gotta do it. I saw on Craigslist that someone in Milwaukee had bunch of .41 Mag reloads they were trying to part with. I know I'd make every effort to dispose of them out the barrel. Thousands of rounds may take a couple days, though.:)

Scorch

Not trying to sound flippant, but if I had a bunch of reloads to get rid of, it might take me several days at the range.

However, in your case a better solution might be to disassemble the ammo. Another alternative would be to put them all in a large canner or soup pot with water and vinegar and boil them gently for a while. I would be willing to bet your handloads are not waterproof.

ShootingNut

Thanks guys, we will see how things shake out.
Decided that excess ammo will be chewed up at the range, between myself and son.

ludwig1138

A little WD40 in the case will kill the primer

I loaded some 38 WC in 1975. Had them in a magazine, in the pistol sprayed with WD40, wraped in a rag soaked with WD40 to prevent rust. (I can feel people cringing) I took it to the range a few weeks ago, and all the loads fired without a problem. I'd heard that WD40 would migrate to the primer, but it didn't happen this time.

k8do

The guys have given you good suggestions. Let me talk a little philosophy..

Some decades back my bride became upset over the bill for the monthly payment on my airplane... She gave me a good lecture at breakfast how she wasn't working so that "her" money could be spent on supporting an airplane... I didn't say much... Finished my cereal and then I took off my work boots, picked up my coffee and went into the living room , got out a book, turned on the stereo, and got comfortable in the easy chair...
She came in, glared at me, "You are going to be late for work!"
"Well, sweetie, I'm not going to work."
Short pause, pugnacious glare, "Why?"

"Well, I work 12 hours a day, six days a week, at two jobs so I can have things I want. Things like cameras and an airplane. Now you are telling me I can't have the things I want, only the things you want. If I can't have an airplane I'm not working. Now your money will only go for things you approve of, like the mortgage and the cars. And, you need to get a second job as your salary isn't going to cover everything." This was said in a conversational tone without any hostility. And I went back to reading my book.

She left the room... I could hear her kind of shuffling things around, then it got quiet. She came back in, gently set down my boots in front of me and said, "Go to work, we'll talk about this tonight." That night, after I staggered in at 11PM from my second job, the only comment she made over supper was, "I mailed a check to cover the airplane payment for the rest of the year."

Gbro

I have tried to neutralize primeres in cartridges on display boards. After drilling and dumping out the powder, I would spray the case with penetrating oil.
after several days one would think the primer would be done for, after all we have all heard about the oil on our fingers ruining primers?.
They still went off!
There was a discharge of a 45-70 in a firearms safety class somewhere in the upper Midwest 3-4 years ago where a cartridge with a dimpled primer was chambered, thinking it was an inert cartridge.
Just to many variables.

I think the way for you is to discharge them as long as you have the means.
Pull and decap any you can't fire.

For others that need to dispose of questionable ammo, maybe a hazardous materials collection station, might have to pay, but some of them have free drop off days for the public.
I guess that i too wouldn't what to drop something like that off with most LEO's as i wouldn't want to get them nosing around.
my .02+

ShootingNut

k8do

You my friend should get a PHD for that one!
If that doesn't hit the nail on the head, I don't know what does.
That said, my "bride" of 46 years (no I'm not that old) treats me very well.
Although there are times when she (as most women), just don't plain understand what guys are up to, and what makes up happy (forget sex).
Best

chipperi

My wife used to be a "why in the hell do you need that many guns for" person.

I took her to the range with me one day and taught her how to shoot, as she got better and more accurate she started feeling better about her self...now all we fight about is who gets to buy the next gun when we save some extra $$.

But you still have to love k8do's approach.