Where do you carry your 1911?

Full-choke

I am looking to start carrying my Taurus PT1911 more often. I don't know where the best place to carry it is for CCW. I was thinking an underarm holster but I hear a lot about back and neck strain. What other options are out there for a viable concealed carry for a full size 5" 1911?

Thanks,
F-C

orionengnr

1600 to 1630 in: (in order of preference)

--Alessi Watch Six (precursor to the Milt Sparks Watch Six)

--Milt Sparks VMII
--(just received yesterday) CrossBreed SuperTuck

As soon as I have a few extra bucks, I will be buying a Striker 1 from UBG. I bought one for my my Kahr P45, and look forward to one for a 1911. That is the closest to the Watch six that I have found. :)

Mello2u

I have been carrying a full sized 1911 in an IWB holster for over 20 years at the 3 o'clock position.

I used a Bruce Nelson Summer Special for a long time, and in the last couple of years replaced it with a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

Do not forget to get a good quality gun belt. It needs to be stiff and a couple of inches longer than your regular dress belts to allow for the IWB holster.

MLeake

+1 on the gun belt. A thin, soft belt that flexes makes any gun seem heavier and bulkier.

I use a leather belt from Sam Andrews for dressier occasions, and a polyurethane reinforced rigger's belt with a non-metallic buckle from Talon Tactical in normal, casual mode.

Either one works very well. Sam's work always looks good. The TT belt doesn't set off metal detectors (though some TSA points may still make you take off the belt) and also does not interfere with the magnets in the false lower buttons of some of my shirts.

Disclosure: Sam Andrews is a friend of mine; so is Mike, at Talon.

I met Cerisse, owner of Soteria Leather last Summer at a MAG-40 class. She makes nice OWB holsters; I am not sure if she makes IWB. Several participants of the class liked the OWB she was using enough that we placed orders on the spot.

I don't know Rob Leahy, at Simply Rugged, but I have owned several of his holsters. His Cuda, with optional Inside Out straps, allows a concealable OWB or IWB option.

MLeake

Skadoosh, the SR40c is lighter and shorter. Whether it is more "suitable" is a personal call. Of the two, I would (and often do) carry the 1911.

Barrel length of 5" or less is easy enough to conceal, IWB. The 1911 is thinner than all my other autos except my PPQ.

The grip isn't small, but is thin enough and tucks in pretty tight - with the right belt and holster combo.

And, with the right belt and holster, the weight isn't really a big deal - at least, not to me (healthy mid-40s male).

A smaller person might have problems, but I know some smaller women who carry 1911s, so it can be done. Health and age may also matter.

But the 1911 can be very suitable for carry.

CountryUgly

3 o'clock IWB with a cheap uncle mikes ballistic nylon holster single metal belt clip. My belt is a $10 wally world job:eek:. Its probably not the best setup and I'm sure if you got $150 smackers invested in leather it would make it feel a smidge better but for under $25 bucks its very easy and possible to do. Now if the situation allows for baggier clothing I usually grab my Fobus OWB paddle holster and in this situation I could see a stiffer belt working a little better for me cause if I don't pull tight the top of the gun can lean out a little more than I like. Point is if you can drop the chedder for the good stuff you're probably better off but if you just can't afford the finer stuff or are like me and just a cheapskate fear not cause the run of the mill stuff works well.;)

Skadoosh

Skadoosh, the SR40c is lighter and shorter. Whether it is more "suitable" is a personal call. Of the two, I would (and often do) carry the 1911.

I simply asked why he is choosing a larger, heavier and much more difficult to carry pistol when he has one that is far easier to carry and is just as effective for personal defense.

MLeake

True, but your statement was that the SR40c was "far more suitable for cc."

If the sole criterion is comfort, sure.

In that sense, my 442 is "far more suitable."

But since I carry because of the very slim chance that I might actually be forced to employ the weapon, I prefer something larger (when feasible).

My point being, "far more suitable" was too broad, and implied that other factors didn't matter.

ltc444

Initially misunderstood the question. My reply was were don't carry my 1911.

90% of the time I carry it in a Roy's original pancake holster in the 4 o clock position. Sometimes in an emergency, I simply tuck it into my waste band at the small of my back.

In a self defense situation there is no reason to get lazy by using an under powered, less accurate and less reliable weapon.

Skadoosh

True, but your statement was that the SR40c was "far more suitable for cc."

If the sole criterion is comfort, sure.

In that sense, my 442 is "far more suitable."

But since I carry because of the very slim chance that I might actually be forced to employ the weapon, I prefer something larger (when feasible).

My point being, "far more suitable" was too broad, and implied that other factors didn't matter.

Perhaps if you had read the OP's first signature line. I stand by my initial assertion that the 1911 is not well suited for CC, especially when he already owns a SR40c in an effective caliber and is far better suited for CC.

MLeake

I stand by my assertion that it is about a balance of factors. The SR40c would have the advantage in weight, length and height. I think the 1911 would win the thinness category.

But for me, and I suspect for many others, a full size 1911 is much more shootable than any compact polymer .40 pistol. It then becomes a matter of balancing priorities and requirements.

Since carrying the larger pistol doesn't normally trouble me, and since I shoot the 1911 better, the 1911 is "far more suitable for CCW" for me until the weather gets hot enough to force me into pocket or under t-shirt carry - at which point the balance favors my 442 or PPS.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Skadoosh said:
Perhaps if you had read the OP's first signature line. I stand by my initial assertion that the 1911 is not well suited for CC, especially when he already owns a SR40c in an effective caliber and is far better suited for CC.
Perhaps if you had read the OP's post you'd understand that he isn't asking for an opinion about the suitability of a 1911 for carrying concealed.

Now try staying on topic.