Where do old pistols go to die?

Saab1911

Where do all of the old pistols go to die? Let's say I have a pistol that is
on its last legs but is still dangerous, maybe more so to the shooter than to
anyone standing in front of the muzzle but dangerous nonetheless.

Where can you take a pistol so that it is duly destroyed and will not be used
in a crime? I don't care if the steel is melted down for use in car parts,
aluminum melted down for beer cans and plastic recycled into colostomy bags.

Just how does one dispose of a firearm so that legal liability is zero?

Cheers,

Jae

SilentHitz

Just how does one dispose of a firearm so that legal liability is zero?
Best way is to turn it into the local police or sheriff's office. They love getting them off the streets, and it's the best way to wind up with zero liability.:cool:

hoytinak

I've taken a 4 1/2" angle grinder and cut off wheel to a couple of mine that I felt were either too dangerous or un-fixable, then just trashed the parts over a couple of weeks.

deputy tom

I'd take it to the local Police buy back program.At least you'll get a $50.00 gift certificate or whatever they're giving at the time(beats throwing it in the scrap pile only to have a BG use it in a crime) and you have an aliby if they do come around to collect your guns.YMMV.tom.:cool:

MisterWilson

Save it for a gun buyback!

Maybe tuck a note into the barrel while you're waiting explaining that the gun isn't safe in case you forget about it one day or what have you.

Tom2

Save any useful parts off of it that could be resold to parts dealers or recycled. Mainly cut up the frame and the barrel, if the barrel is rotten. Otherwise save the barrel as a saleable part and cut up the frame. Grips are saleable unless tore all up. If you turn a gun into a buyback, you can save stuff like internal parts, grips, magazines to sell. Wrap the frame with black tape for grips if you think they might be suspicous. Crooks did not mind black tape instead of real grips from what I have seen. I think if it still looks like a gun, even inoperable, they will give you a buyback credit. I got a incredibly rusty nickel junk old revolver someone found tearing down a house. Would be interesting if intact but is trash now. I would turn it in for 50$ buyback in a heartbeat!

Crow61

What's wrong with just "burying it at sea"? I have never done that, but it would seem that if you threw it in a river or deep lake it would soon rust away.

44 AMP

Staff
If you don't want to go the gun buy back route...

And, while profitable to us, merely supports a stupid anti gun idea, and you don't feel up to destroying the gun yourself, or turning it in to the police and getting nothing from it, consider selling it to the Gun Parts corp, or one of the other parts houses. They buy all kinds of junk guns all the time to get usable (and resaleable) parts.

You get a worn out gun "off the street", ensuring it will not harm anyone, freedom from any legal liability, and a little bit of cash in the bargin.

Look at it this way, maybe a good part on your bad gun is the one part someone else needs to get a nearly good gun back on the active list. And, you get paid, at least a little.

Archie

It's not dead, just retired.

I have a M13 S&W that went with me in the Border Patrol. The topstrap is now stretched and it's not economically feasible to rebuild.

So it sits in honor in the safe, or on a display board. It's still legally a firearm, and frankly, it's earned the rest. I'm sure as hell not going to junk it.

B.N.Real

Take a sledgehammer ,put it on some asphalt road, smash it to bits then throw it away.

You can mess it up so fast,so quickly like that,that nobody will ever fire that thing again.

SIGSHR

If I had a "worn out" gun I would sell it for parts-even give them away-OR-it
would be the basis for some home gunsmithing on a cold winter night. Can't think a better way to learn gunsmithing than to be at home on a night when
it's the best thing to, have one's manuals, DVDs (or tapes) and tools handy, and learn pistolsmithing at one's own pace, working on a handgun that you
don't depend on.

ChicagoTex

What's wrong with just "burying it at sea"? I have never done that, but it would seem that if you threw it in a river or deep lake it would soon rust away.

A. It's littering
B. if someone sees you do it you look suspicious as hell and could very well end up having a chat with the police about why you're disposing of a firearm...
C. My drinking water's bad enough already, thanks.

apr1775

Destroying a gun or turning it in to be destroyed, turns my stomach. You could sell or give it to a used gun parts dealer such as Numrich Gun Parts. That would add to the inventory of a gun related business which could also help out another gun owner who needs replacement parts. This should keep you clear of any liability issues.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Destroying a gun or turning it in to be destroyed, turns my stomach.

Yeah, me too. I GUESS I'm OK with "organ donation" depending on the gun. If it's been a service weapon or saved your life though-- No way. Like I said, fill the barrel with epoxy, that makes it safe, keep it somewhere to show and tell the kids about it.

there is probably some gunsmith school, that can use those for teaching students to repair, or engrave, or refinish ... I'm also good with giving / selling to one of the used parts places...

Sarge

If it had any sentimental value to me I'd neuter it and hang it on the wall. Otherwise, gut it for parts & introduce the frame to hammer & anvil.