Where can i find an AK type rifle?

Nick9130White

I've been looking to buy an AK-47 (preferably Russian made) or a Saiga 762. And i can't seem to find any around here. Does anyone know where i can find either one of these rifles in The California Bay Area?
And Which is a better buy?

Thank you,
-Nick

S&W Kinda Guy

Im not completely sure on this, but you might want to check state gun laws for California. Like I said, Im not sure, but arent "AK" type rifles illegal in California? Please, other members feel free to correct me.

hexidismal

I don't really know anything about California gun laws, but Atlantic firearms has a whole section of these type of firearms which they say are California legal.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/brand.aspx?mid=58

In the description they say "We install a Bullet Button style device and ship the rifle with 2 -10 round mags this allows the rifle to be compliant in California due to the fact the magazine can not be easily removed. "

JohnnyBmore

I Work with Atlantic Firearms & can Tell you that they can offer Just about any Ak style Rifle in a California legal set up ... Give um a Call, or drop um a line!!

Nick9130White

I was originally going to buy the Russian made AK they had on there, but i cant find anyone around here that will let it be shipped to them, and i think i'm just going to wait to move somewhere where the gun laws arnt so restrictive. What fun is an AK-47 that's not fully auto, with a 30 round magazine, and a pistol grip?

raftman

What fun is an AK-47 that's not fully auto, with a 30 round magazine, and a pistol grip?

While it is legally possible to own a full-auto AK, you will find that such a rifle will cost far more than it's worth relative to one with a pistol grip, 30 round mag, but is semi-auto only. We're talking a few thousand dollars compared to a few hundred.

spanishjames

What fun is an AK-47 that's not fully auto, with a 30 round magazine, and a pistol grip?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433570&highlight=full+auto

There are very heavy restrictions on "fully auto" weapons in every state in the union. Full auto weapons are usually only available to Law Enforcement and those willing to pay five figures for one. Most if not all of the AK or AR type weapons sold to regular Joes in the US are semi-automatic only.

Then there's the cost of all the ammo you're going to burn through in a full auto weapon. If you're a Saudi prince then go for it. Otherwise just get a CA legal unit.

Red Star

also, you can usually ship a rifle to a pawn shop if they have their FFL...

check out your local pawn shop too. :)

Bart Noir

There are very heavy restrictions on "fully auto" weapons in every state in the union. Full auto weapons are usually only available to Law Enforcement.....

Then how do you explain all the states that have machine gun shoots, where people bring their own full-auto weapons and do a whole lot of shootin'? Knob Creek KY is not the only such event.

I think you meant new automatic weapons. Since 1986 (I think that was the year) there have been no more weapons added to the registration list, which is the list of the only MGs that non-LEO and non-military purchases can purchase. Well, OK, I left out licensed full-auto dealers and manufacturers.

So here in Washington I cannot own such, but neighbors in Oregon and Idaho can, within the state and Federal laws. Dang. :(

You are quite right about the huge prices for full-auto, which is a direct result of freezing the supply while demand goes on and on.

Bart Noir

HorseSoldier

I've never really understood the fascination with full auto weapons, but then maybe having Uncle Sam subsidize my shooting hobby and firearms interest provides a different take on things than if I'd never been to one (or many) SPENDEX's where triggers had to be pulled and bullets burned up long, long, and long after any fun was part of the equation.