Where can I find a Stoeger Cougar, or an alternative, in the DFW area?

Wynterbourne

I need a little help finding a specific firearm, and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me. Let me give you a little background...

Not too long ago I was forced to sell all of my firearms to cover some medical bills. The sort of medical bills that come with a cancer diagnosis. To honor one of my wife's last requests I'm planning on spending a bit of the insurance settlement to replace a few of my firearms and finally get my CHL permit so I can carry legally.

Unfortunately, I'm VERY recoil sensitive.

A few years ago I was involved in an industrial accident that tore muscles and ligaments from the tip of my right hand to the center of my chest, front and back. These never healed properly. To exacerbate the issue I'm probably going to have to have the first knucle of my middle finger amputated within the next couple of months. If I'm unlucky I'm going to end up losing a significant part of my thumb as well.

All of these issues combined means that I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to recoil with my dominant hand, barely able to handle anything above a .32 revolver, and I may have to learn to shoot lefty.

I can, just barely, handle the recoil of a 9mm PX4 given my injuries. I've thought about purchasing another to replace the one I sold, but I'm just not feeling it. Given how marginally I was able to handle the recoil, I just don't think it'd be the best purchase.

I've been looking at the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm. I figure that the extra 5 ounces will help tame the recoil, particularly if I couple it with low recoil ammunition. I'm a big guy, and given that it's just a tad bit smaller than the PX4 I know I can conceal it effectively, I'm just having one problem.

I can't find the thing.

I want to at least wrap my hands around it once before I buy it. But the ONLY retailer I've found that has one is Bass Pro, and I refuse to do business with them due to a personal experience I had a few years ago. I've called virtually every dealer listed on Stoeger's website and most haven't carried them within the past six months, if they haven't bothered to quit selling handguns altogether.

Does anyone know where I might find one in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? If not, does anyone know of another handgun with similar recoil characteristics? I promised the wife I'd finish the CHL training by her birthday, which leaves me less than 2 months to purchase the weapon, retrain myself to compensate for my personal issues, and complete the class.

dogtown tom

Hi Wynterbourne,

I don't have a Stoeger Cougar, but I do have a Beretta Cougar.

You are more than welcome to come over to Plano and fondle it.:D

Wynterbourne

Have you checked Academy?

I went so far as to call their corporate Customer Service number. The nearest Stoeger Cougar is San Antonio. There is exactly one in all of San Antonio. The next nearest is Houston. The entire city of Houston has 2 Stoeger Cougar's.

I'm not driving that bloody far. :)

wbw

Even though you don't want to buy from Bass Pro, you could go there and fondle their Cougars. See how it feels. Then you could buy one off the internet and have it shipped to your local gunstore.

Here's my 9mm. I've got the.45 version also.

Cougar9002.jpg