Where all the P38s coming from?

lonegunman

The last few gun shows I have been to, I have noticed several dealers selling pretty nice looking Walther P38 's for around $300.

Whats the deal with this guns? Where did they come from? Have they been in storage and just recently imported?

radom

recently replaced german army issue, they decided to go to a hi-cap gun. Bundswere P-1 models.

Attachments

• picture 043.jpg
    picture 043.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 373

Marko Kloos

Every Bundeswehr P1 is date-stamped on the slide.

The Bundeswehr recently went from the P1 to the H&K P8, a USP with some special touches: safety goes up for fire, down for safe just like the P1, barrel is standard grooved instead of polygonal, and magazine is see-through polymer like the G36 rifle magazine.

Herr Walther

Until 1978 the last two digits of the year was stamped on the left-side of the slide. After 1978-79 a two digit date code appeared.

All of these should be P1's. The earlier examples will not have the hexagonal reinforcing pin. The later ones all have this. All have alloy frames. Most have been carried a lot and shot little.

Jeff OTMG

There were about 1200 of them sitting in a container in a yard in NJ for about the last 8 years. In fact there were 42 or 43 containers. They were tied up during the Clinton administration and have only been released in the last 8 months. If you really want to see something wait until you see what happens to the Liberator market. There are suppose to be an entire skid of those in the boxes with instruction sheets.

jar

Be careful. lots of folk selling P-1s as P-38s. They ain't the same beast. A P-1 reall is a $200.00-$250.00 pistol. More than that is wat to much IMHO.

Jamis

One dealer here in VA has the P1's marked as P38/P1 and has them priced for $599.99. I hear him bragging about selling several already. Talk about screwing people.

VVG

One dealer here in VA has the P1's marked as P38/P1 and has them priced for $599.99. I hear him bragging about selling several already. Talk about screwing people.
That being the case, why didn't you name the dealer?

"If you really want to see something wait until you see what happens to the Liberator market. There are suppose to be an entire skid of those in the boxes with instruction sheets."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Handy

I think Earl's is importing new P1s from Walther. Could that be the $599 gun?

Where have you guys seen $200 P1s? $299 seems pretty standard.

BigG

I've seen the P1 for ~ $299. Also a few marked P38. They appear to be the same gun except for markings. Like new condition, alloy frame, rest steel, two mags, holster, and cleaning kit.

alamo

Southern Ohio Gun is advertising these - see their ad below. I haven't called to verify that they have them, sometimes they advertise things they don't have.

Does this look like a good deal? What is the difference between the P-1 and P-38? I've been looking for an inexpensive pistol to fool around with. Do these generally feed HP reliably?

VERY GOOD CONDITION!

Post war, P38's, P-1, with Walther Banner. These come with holster and spare 8Rd magazine. Lightweight, alloy frame with steel top. Like new condition.

CALIFORNIA OK
ORDER #WAL-P1 $199.95 Each

Grade 2-in very good condition, some finish wear, no extra magazine, holster.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_hand.html

Handy

I'm willing to bet that "$199" is another of SOG's usual typos. You'll note that the Grade 2 gun with only one mag is $209.

alamo

I just called SOG & they still have them @ $199. Said they are P-1s, not P-38s. The $209 is for California, probably the cost of jumping thru the hoops of getting them on the approved list there.

Anyone familiar with the P-1 and how it differs from the P-38? Reliable with HP? Good gun?

Handy

Wow, that is a good price. The difference between the P38 and P1 is the steel receiver on the P38 and aluminum on the P1. The P4 is similar to the P1 but with a shorter barrel.

midnight

My dealer carries the P1's from SOG for $230 out the door. If I had an extra $230, I'd pick one up. The fit and finish is very good, considering their use. The slide is smooth as butter.

Dfariswheel

There is no difference between the POST-WAR P-38 and the P1.
The P1 is simply the P-38 marked for use by the German government.

After the war Germany wanted to adopt the P-38, but also wanted a clean break with the Nazi past. They decided to start a new numbering system for small arms. The first pistol adopted was a slightly redesigned P-38 made with an aluminum frame, and named the "P1".

Walther guns made for export and civilian sales were still marked "P-38".
Other then the marks, they are exactly the same guns, produced on the same production lines.

The later P4 is a redesigned P-38/P1. The German police were starting a search for a new service pistol, but Walther didn't have their new designs ready. So, Walther did a partial rework of the P-38/P1 to fill in until the P5 was ready.
The P4 has a solid slide top, no loaded chamber pin, a modified firing pin and hammer, and the safety was changed to a spring-loaded de-cocker.

As soon as Walther got the new P5 ready, the P4 was discontinued. The Walther P5 is also largely a redesigned P-38.

The Current batch of P1's are a great buy. A few years ago the same guns with the P-38 marks were selling in the $400.00 and up range. In a few more years, these P1's will be selling for much more than the current price.

These P1's are reasonably accurate, reliable with FMJ ammo, often reliable with Hollow-point ammo, and very high quality.

BUY ONE, you'll be sorry if you don't.