When you lay me head down at night, which AR bullet do you load for home defense?

WildBill45

There are a lot of bullet choices out there these days, but for home defense which one do you load? I currently have switched to the Vmax for close range defense at home. I think the bullet should be lethal and also keep the over penetration diminished a tad. I know the media and some folks spread misleading information, especially so in human stoppage, as gel and false barriers can give false readings, and everyone thinks of some scenario that may cause less performance but, in most cases I think the Vmax will take down a human ... as usual ... with a well placed shot, and do it in quick order. Most of the scenarios with the bad guys arms pointing at you or thick clothes are not real to the writer, because if you used an over penetrating heavy solid they will switch to the over penetration theory … no winners, but good thoughts. At the very least he will be more concerned with getting medical assistance than continuing his home invasion, taking into account we are not talking at a war scenario!

What is in your mag at night?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 2.04.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 2.04.43 AM.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

8Ball67

first 5 are 55 gr Hornady Zombie Max, then it alternates 62 gr M855 steel core with the Zombie max till the last 5 that are all M855. I like the Zombie Max due to the Cannula, keeps it in place in the case.

deadcoyote

I don use my AR for home defense. I have some loaded mags in the shop with mil spec 55 grain ammo. If I was to use it for home defense, I'd probably use some of the 45 grain frangible ammo I have for using at the local Indoor range.

MagnumWill

2-3/4" 00 buck and two magazines of 230gr hollowpoints in .45ACP. The ARs stay in the safe (one is a 20" scoped 3-gun rifle, the other is a 7.5" fire-breathing monster that needs a large can before coming into play as a HD option).

But if it DOES occur, i go with anything 62gr FMJ that isn't LAP or steel core.

Pond James Pond

first 5 are 55 gr Hornady Zombie Max, then it alternates 62 gr M855 steel core with the Zombie max till the last 5 that are all M855. I like the Zombie Max due to the Cannula, keeps it in place in the case.

May I ask what the benefit of this set up is?
Is there an anticipated sequence of events in the first or last five shots that makes this necessary?

iraiam

For HD, I keep a couple 30 round magazines stuffed with 62 grain HP, not sure what brand the bullets are, I bought them bulk many years ago.

I also keep many magazines stuffed with xm193, xm855, and 75gr BTHP ammo, but the AR is not my primary HD weapon, but it is always ready nevertheless.

JD0x0

Any softpoint 55 gr or heavier. I don't think it really matters much.
Not a bad general rule.

I dont have a .223 AR, but if I did it'd likely be loaded with a heavy and/or strongly constructed bullet like the TTSX. At SD ranges, you're essentially getting impact velocity comparable to muzzle velocity. I'd be worried about a lighter constructed bullet 'grenading' as soon as it hits something, and lacking penetration. I like to have the highest potential of exit wounds and the ability to reliably pierce body armor/ballistic vests** and light cover, if need be.

The TTSX is considered adequate for deer, which IMO, means it's adequate for SD against humans. Also, as I've already mentioned since distances will be extremely short, impact velocity will be significantly higher than hunting at 100 or even 50 yards, which I believe is a factor that should be taken into consideration when choosing your projectile.

**Just about any BG could get this stuff off E-bay or Amazon, especially if they dont have a prior criminal history. AFAIK, they dont do background checks, if you do have a criminal history, it's simply illegal to own, but AFAIK there isn't anything in place that will stop someone from illegally buying them.
If not, there are other 3rd parties which this equipment can be obtained from.
I only mention this, because there are people who seem to think they will never face an opponent breaking into their house with armor on. I just think it's good to be prepared for anything. Especially, because I've heard of criminals breaking into houses posing as FBI or LEO in fake uniforms (which may or may not include armor)

Last edited:

riflemen

I would use some tracer ammo, that would work really good for HD... :eek: Just make sure your fire insurance is paid up..

zxcvbob

M193's. And I have a couple of mags loaded with M855's.

I do wonder if Hornady 55 grain JSP (#2266) handloads might be better -- but I don't think it really matters.