When will Colt start making Pythons in Royal Blue?

Kurbsky

Does anyone know when Colt will start making Pythons in royal blue again? I got my 2020 4.25 inch Python and my next goal would be a 6" one in royal blue (if the price is reasonable).

UncleEd

If at all, probably not a royal blue
until Colt really feels the market
has softened and slowed enough
on the stainless models.

And "reasonable" in pricing is
relative. Producing a blued gun
that mimics the old bluing won't
be all that cheap.

Kurbsky

You already can order the new Python online at MSRP. I guess by softened you mean something like $200 below MSRP. If they will me using machines for blueing, the costs should be reasonable. I am hoping for the year end 2022.

dgludwig

I'm afraid the answer is never. There just aren't enough people willing to pay the (much) higher tariff that American labor adds to the cost of manufacture. And, in some cases, the artisans and craftsmen needed to do skilled and specialized work just aren't around anymore.

I have read recently, though, that the "Royal Blue" finish was accomplished more by much polishing than by any secret processing recipe or arcane formula. Maybe there's still hope.

Dfariswheel

There are rumors...............

In all likelihood we will see a new Python with some sort of shiny dark finish, if nothing else as made for a big distributor like Talo.

As for polishing, the latest Colt small framed Cobra and King Cobra, the new Python, and the new Anaconda have very nicely polished finishes, and that's done in an automated polishing media device.

Also look for 2 1/2 and 3 inch models either as Colt factory or distributor models.
At least one person has already ordered a 3 inch Python from the Colt Custom Shop.

dgludwig

Hmm... Somehow they still make a 1911 in Royal Blue.

If they do, it's not listed in Colt's 2020 catalog. The Gold Cup, the Gold Cup Trophy, the Custom Competition CQB pistols have stainless steel frame and slides. The National Match model has what Colt describes as having a "carbon steel blued frame and slide."

Kurbsky

I did not check the catalog but on colt.com site they list a COLT CLASSIC ROYAL BLUE model for $1,499. If their shiny blue on Python will be the same as Talo shine on Ruger, it won't work for the Cold brand value. "Noblesse oblige", as they say in France.

jackmoser65

Producing a blued gun
that mimics the old bluing won't
be all that cheap.

They're already doing the polish work. Good bluing isn't as unobtainable as people think. Hell they could probably get Turnbull to do them in carbona blue for $300.

dgludwig

For those who might be interested in the origins and process of the "Royal Blue" finish on Colt handguns, Mr. Adalbert (Al) Gunther, superintendent of Colt firearms back in the day and the man credited with the creation of the Python revolver, had this to say:

"...(The Royal Blue finish) was the first really super-deluxe finish Colt ever put on a production gun. Contrary to popular belief, we didn't blue the Python with any different formula than we used on the other guns. Polishing was the secret. We used old fashioned wheel polish, beginning with about an 80-grit emery, and progressing to 120 grit, 320 grit, and finally 400-grit emery. 400-grit emery is the consistency of flour. This would be applied with a leather top wheel- Colt always made their own four-inch-wide, old fashioned leather polishing wheels-and that 400-grit was so fine that when you were using it with some grease you couldn't see any sparks at all from the polishing wheel. To the best of my knowledge, that's the method Colt still uses to put the Royal Blue on the Python, the Gold Cup and some of the special Single-Actions. Royal Blue was the name they gave to the finish we created for the Python, but even today, around the Colt plant, they still refer to that ultra-polish job as the 'Python finish'..."

Dfariswheel

In the old days Colt made their own polishing wheels from wood, covered with walrus hide............

HdDZZFt.jpg

In more modern times they used metal wheels...........

aUai5bU.jpg

The key to top quality gun polishing is large diameter, thick, hard wheels, not the typical soft muslin or felt wheels that are usually about 8 inches in diameter and thin.
The bigger the wheel, the easier it is to keep a surface flat and even.

Back in the good old days, Colt was running a polishing academy.
A new hire went to school to learn the machinery and technique, then went to the line and polished lower cost models while an instructor literally stood behind them looking over their shoulder and coached them.
Only after they got experience where they moved to the higher end models.
Only the very best after years of experience were allowed to polish Pythons.

Jim Watson

Since the New Python is stainless steel, you are asking whether they will make guns out of chrome moly that CAN be blued. I doubt it, the machining is done differently.

In all likelihood we will see a new Python with some sort of shiny dark finish, if nothing else as made for a big distributor like Talo.

S&W made a few guns in blackened stainless. They looked pretty good but they did not look like conventional blue and a bit of wear did not give them "character" as it can blue, they just looked dirty.

Treatments are better now and they could bright polish some stainless and have it DLC treated for a good dark finish that would last. If they thought they would sell well enough and high priced enough to be worthwhile to the company. Maybe CZ will give them a push.

Kurbsky

Actually, I would never consider the blackened stainless - only the real steel. I like Sig P210 pistol too but I won't have it because it's blackened stainless - basically cheating.

Pumpkin

I think the environmental and physical safety risks might have a part to do with the lack of blued new guns. Not easy to find a gun shop that will do a traditional bluing job these days.

jackmoser65

This is a non-issue for major manufacturers. Colt is still producing the blued and color cased Single Action Army and lots of blued 1911's.

The real issue is that you can't blue stainless steel. Colt uses forged frames and barrels, and probably forged cylinders. So to offer the new revolvers in royal blue they would have to buy carbon steel forgings to build into firearms. Economies of scale means they wouldn't be buying one or two, they would need enough to make each firearm somewhat reasonably priced. I don't know any way for Colt to assess the market for blued Pythons with any degree of certainty.

5whiskey

The golden years of blued handgun, as most of us realize, are well over now. Funny, the Italians will still blue repros here and there. They even look ok. I say on par with my early 70s Ruger security six. But it’s nothing like what the best of colt or S&W did.

Henry still uses a blue finish on their rifles I believe. Trying to think of another manufacturer that uses blue finish but I’m drawing a blank. Polishing a firearm enough to get a really good looking blue is a done by hand process. There is a need to inspect progress, feel the surface (feeling to prevent overheating and to feel progress), and a need to get into nooks and crannies that machines just can’t replicate.