When the SHTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick9130White

If the SHTF and for some strange reason I can't grab my Saiga .308, and all I have is my Remington 870 with a modified choke, CAN I shoot 2 3/4" slugs through it? I know it's recommended to shoot it through improved, but if I don't have an improved choke and all I have are slugs, will 5 shots hurt the gun or the choke?

jmortimer

No problem the rifled slugs will work just fine. The Brenneke slugs would be a good choice. Probably even hit man size targets out to 100 yards.

gearhounds

Yes, it will toss slugs. It won't damage your gun. You could also keep it loaded with OO buck and combat load slugs if a longer shot is called for.

Nick9130White

Really?
Then I'm set.
I've been looking for a decently priced improved choke.
I've found a couple but moneys tight so as long as I'm good, I don't have to worry about it right now.

jmortimer

Have you shot them? If not I think you will be surprised at how well they perform. A shotgun slug is an awesome thing.

lamarw

I like gearhounds' comments with regards to also considering buckshot (that is if it is legal for your local).

I keep a mix of slug and buckshot in my mag tube, and I know in what order. Althought if things got real bad, I doubt I would be doing any counting. The first round is buckshot.

Bamashooter

I have a 870 Express SuperMag and the guy at the gunstore told me to buy a skeet tube to shoot slugs and thats all I have ever used. I can hit a milkjug with it and remington sluggers at 75yrds. Never tried it any farther out.

zippy13

Think about it: Any contemporary 12-ga slug has to be safe to shoot in any modern 12-ga shotgun with any standard choke else the SAAMI standards are worthless and a lot of gun/ammo manufacturers' attorneys and insurance carriers would be very unhappy campers. (An exception is the use of steel shot may damage chokes not intended for steel.) All of the recommendations for using a specific slug with a certain choke are for optimum performance and in no way indicate that other applications are unsafe.

markj

In before the lock?

Sure you can shoot the zombies with a slug meant for smooth bore barrels out of the 870 and a med choke.

Now say that 6 times real fast :)

Red Dawn is being re made for all of you SHTF folks........

krimmie

How do you know the "poop that hits the fan" won't be birds? Swarms of disease laden finches will fly right through your OO buck shot patterns.

Nick9130White

Why would it be locked?
I'm not saying the world is going to be taken over by zombies, I'm just saying *IF* something happens (burglar, looting) i won't have to worry about a blown barrel and missing fingers.

And I have 150 shells of birdshot, I don't need to worry about the SOBs Hahah.

EdInk

I do remember it. Good movie from a master. It would have been about a 40min short film in Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.