When it comes to under $1000 1911's, which one is the sweet spot?

Tibu

I've been looking to get an under $1000 1911 for a month now. I want it for putting holes on paper and for home defense. But I really can't decide. There are many options in this price range. But my main concern is the perceived "lack of out of the box reliability" for 1911's in this price range. Every time I'm reading over the forums I see posts of FTE's, FTF's, etc. with these guns. Why that is, I'm not so sure but I don't think anyone can deny that trend.

Anyway which one would be your pick and why? Personal experience opinions would be greatly appreciated.

IMO Springfield Armory makes some of the better 1911 pistols for under $1000.00. I shot one straight out of the box and it was quite accurate, the fit and finish were very good and had zero failures in the first 500 rounds.

BikerRN

I was in the same boat as you recently and picked up a Springfield "Loaded" Model in parkerized with night sights for about $800.

It's a great gun and the best "Bang for your dollar" in my opinion. It's fast becoming my 24/7 off duty carry weapon over my Revolvers.

Biker

sholling

The cream of the current crop of sub $1k production 1911s is the S&W SW1911 line. The fit and finish is second to none in it's price range, and just a bit better on average than a Springer. The trigger varies from example to example but on average they run about 4-4.5lbs. That's about 1-2 lbs lighter than the Springer. They also have something that Kimber can't touch - a real lifetime no BS warranty and a reputation for the best customer service in the business. The only thing they don't offer is factory night sights but that's something that Trijicon and Novak offer and you can add them later.

178011_large.jpg

Unregistered

I have owned 3 Springfields (a GI, Loaded, and Micro-Compact), and none were 100 percent reliable. I would not buy another. If someone gave one to me, I would sell it to the first person I could find with the money. Their customer service is horrible, and they could not fix any of mine when I sent them back.

I have one Smith and Wesson, and several Colts. They all work great.

I don't think there are any dud's being sold. Usually the problem on grouping can be improved with changing ammo. I currently own six .45 acp pistoles. Ruger P90-Kimber target- 2 Springfield Champions-Eaa Witness P- Colt Commander. Each and every one shoot under 3 1/2 inch groups with ammo they like. The EAA Witness is top gun. Also the least expensive. I bought mine at a estate sale my dealer held for a fellow shooters widow. It had never been shot. Myself and 5 friends compete every Sat. morning. The first 5 shots at 50 ft. 1 inch and the largest was still under 2 inches. Four friends went out and bought copys of mine. I bought a full sized model. Everyone of the guns shot under 2 inches. My son made such a pest of himself about the full sized model, I let him have it for his birthday. Point is each gun has its own preferances in ammo.
Cheers
James;):cool::confused:

MPanova

For under 1000 bucks the Taurus PT1911 in blue or SS is the best hands down IMO, I have also read tons of storys about problems on SA Kimbers Smiths and more but very few bad reports on the PT1911, 99% of those are 100% out of the box, Mine and my Dads have both been 100% through a couple thousand rounds now

Now if I could just srape up enough cash to get a SS model life would be sweet

wjkuleck

The cream of the current crop of sub $1k production 1911s is the S&W SW1911 line

I'll have to agree. The S&W 1911s I have are as close to a "production custom" as you're going to get for under $1500, much less $1000.

Regards,

Walt

Tibu

Ok, after much deliberation I'm between a SW1911 or a Dan Wesson 1911. Anyone have any opinions on why one over the toher between those two?

shortwave

think i would have to opt for the s&w or colt also. hey James A Mullens if i start pestering you now think i could get that colt for my birthday?:D

MSgt G

Lots of rounds fired, never a problem - ever! My vote for an under $1000 1911 goes to S&W. With the current $100 rebate, I'd say hurry!

100_1806-1.jpg

rellascout

Dan wesson all the way 70 series design no swartz safety!!!!!!

If you want to spend just a little bit more check out the new Dan Wesson Valor vThey are going for $1200

ValorIII.jpg

main066.png

Last edited:

shortwave

Hey Tibu, if you weren`t screwed up on what to buy before, i bet you are now. keep those beautiful pics coming guys.