When is it time to sell that firearm?

Pietro Beretta

Aside from the gun your father gave you, or that unique gun that just is not around at all anymore:

When is it finally time to sell the gun(s) that you just no longer use?

How long can you justify keeping it, when you just don't use it anymore?

Sixer

I would say NEVER, unless you are selling it and using the funds to purchase another firearm that you might actually shoot from time to time.

hoytinak

I get bored with alot of firearms, sometimes after a week, sometimes it takes a couple years and sell them , just depends on the firearms but I always use the funds I get from them toward a new firearm.

got_the_itch

The repo man will be dragging me away. The gas company will be shutting off my gas. The electric company will cut my power. My truck will need gas. Before I sell "ANY" of my weapons thus far. I have never disliked one enough yet to do so.

Outside of supplying the roof over my head and my children being fed. I will not sell my firearms.

Now there are always those ones you pick up for a deal, and turn over quickly. I'm not putting those into this catagory. I'm maintaining the ideal that these are weapons one has hand selected for themselves.

oneounceload

When I had young kids at home, the rules were simple: Sell one to get another......let some nice ones get away, including a Ruger No.1 RSI in 243.......OUCH!

stevieboy

I buy 'em, I sell 'em. My general rule is "a gun for a gun." I have no sentimental attachment to any of my handguns. I view them as tools to be used or discarded when they no longer fulfill a purpose.

Periodically I assess what I'm shooting and what I'm not. Those that aren't being shot get sold. In the past two years: I sold a Ruger Single Six to help finance the purchase of a S & W 617; I sold a S & W 625 to help finance the purchase of the first 617 and to contribute towards the purchase of a second 617; I bought a S & W 686 SSR; sold the SSR and bought a 66; bought a model 17-5; sold the second 617 and bought a model 41; and sold the 17-5 in order to finance the purchase of a model 27. Finally, I bought a 1911. My collection gradually increases, obviously, but its growth is retarded by my fairly ruthless approach towards getting rid of guns that I'm no longer shooting.

Do I have any regrets? Yes, one. I should never have sold that 625!!!

Right now, I'm shooting all of my handguns in rotation and I'm quite happy with what I've got. Still, there are some that I shoot a bit less than others and, I know that one of these days, I'll reassess again. Then, who knows:rolleyes:

Tom2

All guns, like cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. are negotiable. You just need to give this some thought-figure out your basic core group of guns that you will want to keep. If I had to sell off I would keep at least 4-5 of them due to their utility and qualities that I like alot. You will always end up selling something that you may someday wish you had back. Maybe if you trade alot, alot on that list. Hurt to think about some of them. Especially what you sold for and what they are worth now. But they might just still be safe queens if you kept them. Just set aside some, mentally, that you would never sell and have valid reasons for that. Even if I were on real hard times, I think that I could get by with maybe 3 guns or so. That is really pushing it. The guns have to be usable for maybe more than one thing to make the real short list. Not just target shooting or cause it looks good. That way you will always have what you need if not what you want. Good luck. Some guns, you may set on them for years and then ask yourself, why did I keep this POS around here? When I saw a great deal on XXX that I always wanted?

greyson97

*arrogant mode on*
I never sell any gun cause I took the time and effort to research the gun i was about to buy. thus I would never find out it wasnt what I wanted, or it wasnt capable of doing what i wanted from it, and have to get rid of it.

I never get so bored with a gun that i wouldnt use it anymore, and want to sell it. would you want to sell your child?

the only guns i wanted to get rid of, was my glock 22, and my remington 870

my glock 22, i didnt research it. i bought it cause i drank a big pitcher of glock kool-aid.
when I bought my PX4, i offered to trade in my glock, and the guy at the gun store said, i'll give you $200 trade in for your gun, but honestly, i'd keep it, and buy a few hi-cap mags, put it in a box and in 10 years from now, that gun will be worth serious $$$. i guess he didnt want to trade in my glock 22 for $200. :p

but recently, im starting to like my glock more and more, now that i found a source of cheap .40 bullets and i can shoot it more, and i can appreciate its strong points.

as for my remington 870, i bought that when i turned 18, there wasnt internet back then, i didnt know **** about ****, and it was affordable. while i dont like it, it is a good gun. but there are so many in circulation, it be better to just keep it instead of trying to sell it for $150

w_houle

before you get an emotional attachment to it.
Have one good pistol that has personal value to you, and know it. Anything beyond that is just so you can try different guns at the range.

christcorp

Each person is different. I have 3 groups that my guns are in. The 1st group is my "COLLECTION". In my collection, each gun has a specific purpose. If you can even fathom a scenario, there is a gun in this "Collection" to take care of that scenario. I try not to have guns in this "Collection" that overlap; but that's not always possible. The scenarios range from home defense, to self defense, to societal decay, to survival. They are for home and for concealed carry. They cover every possible situation I could need. THESE GUNS IN THIS "COLLECTION" WILL NEVER EVER BE SOLD OR TRADED. These guns are:

1. Remington 12 Gauge model 870
2. Savage 7mm Remington Magnum Bolt action
3. Marlin 30-30 lever action
4. Winchester model 190 22LR
5. S&W Model 13-1 357 Magnum
6. SigSauer P220 45acp
7. CZ-82 9mm Makarov
8. FEG AP-MBP 32acp
9. H. Schmidt 22LR/22Mag Revolver

My second group are military weapons that I like and have for historical purposes. They are original. In other words, they were used by actual military personnel. They are operational. I still shoot them. I prefer to pass them down; along with all the others; to my kids. (I'll pass the first group down as I can't use them any longer such as hunting, shotguns, etc...) But this 2nd group, I hope lives on historically with my children and maybe their children. They Include:

1. M1 Garand 30-06
2. M1 Carbine 30 cal
3. Original Springfield Armory 1911 45acp
4. 1903 Springfield
5. Original 1851 Colt Navy 44 cal Black Powder Revolver

My 3rd group are weapons that I have are weapons I would have no problem selling, trading, using to pay a debt, if I needed money, etc... I honestly believe that anyone who likes to collect guns, should have at least a few of these that they can get around $500-$1000 for if they really needed money. You never know what could happen. Or if you find yourself in a bind. These include:

1. AMT Backup 380
2. Ruger 7" Blackhawk 45LC
3. Taurus 462 357 magnum
4. SKS

I personally believe that our declaration of independence and our constitution revolves and only stands firm, if the nation's citizens remain armed. Just as our military has nuclear weapons as a last resort, and primarily as a deterrence, so are our weapons. They aren't to try and over throw a government or to create havoc in society. They are a deterrence to crime and a deterrence so that our government doesn't try to dictate the people and remain subservient to the people. Many might not need the same 3 categories that I do. And some may see the categories different. I.e. For some, the 1st category may seem fulfilled simply with a shotgun, a long rifle, and a handgun. But everyone should have at least a 1st category of guns. Then go to the 3rd category and have some guns as an "Investment" for the future.

Jim243

When someone gives me a Glock for free, because I sure wouldn't pay for one. It would be sold the next day.

KyJim

I don't really sell guns simply based on the fact I don't use them much. If I did that, I wouldn't have but 4 or 5 handguns.

I've sold 5 guns in my lifetime. Many years ago, I sold an RG revolver that I was glad to let go. I always had the feeling it was going to explode in my hand. The second was a .22 that I sold when I needed some money for something more important.

In more recent years, I traded in three guns for other guns -- an unreliable Kimber, an inaccurate Springer Micro MilSpec, and a Taurus PT99. The Taurus was reliable and reasonably accurate. It was just never a good fit for my smallish hands.

chris in va

Like you said, unless it's a priceless heirloom or just plain rare, I either shoot mine or sell it. If it's not enjoyable or functional it gets passed on to the next person.

Case in point. I heard wonderful things about the SP101 and got the 3" version. Carried it for a while, but eventually realized my accuracy and speed with 357's was really bad, so everyone advised me to use 38+p with it. (Edit: emphasis added) But that didn't make sense to me, so I sold it and bought a Kahr 9mm. More capacity, more 'power', thinner.

My HiPoint carbine is next up for consideration. Fun, sure...but so is my Saiga and ammo is currently the same price as 9mm and coming down.

If you don't use it and it just doesn't do anything for you, sell the darn thing!

Last edited:

Skan21

I sold all my guns when I moved, because I didn't want to deal with moving my guns interstate. The moving company wanted about 10 pages of forms filled out, and they had to get some kind of authorization from Mass. So I said screw it and sold em. Stupid, stupid me. Got $1000 for 4 guns. If I had had the time I would have gotten almost 2x that through personal sales.

christcorp

There's definitely a lot of reasons for selling guns. And not to go off topic; but Chris, you said something I sort of have to comment. You said you sold an SP101 357 magnum for a Kahr 9mm. Nothing wrong with that. To each their own. But you said:

... so I sold it and bought a Kahr 9mm. More capacity, more 'power', thinner.

OK, I'll buy the "More Capacity". I think that's a non-issue, but definitely factual. The Kahr has more capacity. Thinner; most definitely. But let's be real; "MORE POWER"??? There is no way that a 9mm can even come close to a 357 magnum. Hell, it's not even possible. Now, because the 357 magnum has the advantage of shooting lighter loads like the 38 spl, that can't really be used as a comparison. If your revolver was only a 38spl, that would be cool. But I would hate a NOOB to be misdirected into thinking that a 9mm is somehow more powerful than a 357 magnum. Especially because your comment seemed to compare the Kahr to the SP101. Power? Not even a close comparison.

Quentin2

Times would have to be real bad before I sold my guns and I'd sell a lot of other things first. I was choosy selecting them over the years and am more than satisfied with each one. The ones that didn't work out already are long gone. Yeah, times would have to be real bad...