When is a primer too expensive?

Prof Young

Got word from Midway yesterday that they has small pistol primers in. $99 for a 1000 primer brick. BUT by the time you add hazmat, shipping and tax it was almost $150. I haven't done the math, but that seems to me like it's cutting the reload-it-yourself-savings too thin. I have some in stock and took a pass.

Life is good.
Prof Young

lugerstew

I think 9mm is the one I need to keep calculating. If you spend about 15 cents for a primer, about 8 cents for the bullet and about 6 cents for the powder, that's close to .30 cents a round. I have seen factory rounds selling for around .25 cents each, so to me, reloading them, I would be losing money.
I'm still hoping for 3 or 4 cents each primers, but I could be dreaming.

tangolima

One would need to try hard to make sense money wise to load 9mm, even during the "peace time", when loaded ammo was even "cheaper". But it wouldn't be fair to compare your loads with the cheapest ammo in the market. I keep loading anyway.

There are places online that don't charge hazmat fees. If I can't avoid the overhead, I will buy in volume. Have 5 bricks instead of 1. Add powders to it too. Same fee.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarkCO

My current limit is $50/1K, which I have never paid. One type I have on hand, $37/1K for CCI 41s is the highest I ever paid.

Two primer manufacturers are supposed to be coming on line in a few months. One of them is buying containers of primers from overseas, and storing them to keep the prices up for when they release their production. Their cost is higher than Win, and Vista (CCI, Rem, Fed) and so they decided to manipulate the market some to help their rollout. Owned by billionaires, so they can afford it.

I had an opportunity to buy 2M primers a month to resell, and I thought about it, but I just could not do it on principle.

Jim Watson

Two primer manufacturers are supposed to be coming on line in a few months. One of them is buying containers of primers from overseas, and storing them to keep the prices up for when they release their production. Their cost is higher than Win, and Vista (CCI, Rem, Fed) and so they decided to manipulate the market some to help their rollout. Owned by billionaires, so they can afford it.

An interesting story but not credible without names.

There is a mountain of documentation of George Washington's actions and presence that go way, way beyond a merely rumored existence, including that his remains are interred below the rotunda of the Capital building in Washington, D.C. For the primer conspiracy theory to have even a fraction of the same provenance, you would need to have shipping manifests, freight documents, purchase records, and delivery logs for the supposedly waylayed primers (and not just Photoshopped versions delivered anonymously over the Internet, either). These sorts of paper trails exist in addition to ocean transport shipping manifests, bills of lading, and insurance records. So discovering how many primers have been imported to the U.S. in a given time period should be perfectly possible to do.

As far as sequestering primers to keep them off the market, mainly, hoarders are the ones who do that, even if it isn't their intent. I've heard economists on the radio describe how hoarding behavior keeps prices high for a time after a shortage ends. It is why toilet paper shelves were still pretty bare almost six months after production and supply lines were back to pre-pandemic normal. People just continued to buy more than they needed. Add to this that all the years of the push for gun control have made shooters suspicious and distrustful, and you have a pretty good recipe for both that sort of behavior as well as for adopting conspiracy theories.

Distributors are unlikely to want to get stuck paying property tax on large quantities of sequestered stock nor to risk the consequences of failing to pay their taxes, not to mention their accountants being on their backs about the opportunity costs of keeping the capital tied up. Fortunately, tax payment records are public, and if you can find records of someone paying taxes on hundreds of millions of primers, you might have an argument. But a far more likely industrial scenario is imported primers being siphoned off to ammunition manufacturers who are still scrambling to keep up with the new demand created over the last two years. The U.S. commercial market is something like 20 billion rounds of ammunition a year, and the reloading market is a pipsqueak by comparison to the loaded ammunition market. The money is in loaded ammo.

Only time I shoot these days is to switch a rifles bullseye accuracy from 100 too 200 yrds or back and forth at my whim. In trying to curb reloading costs. I just purchased a Cadwell DFT lead sled so to shoot more sparingly. No more shooting for fun and giggles. Sad situation quite a few members at a gun club I belong to are giving up their club memberships. "Getting to the breaking point where guns and store bought ammo are just to expensive now.

Big Wes

I'm hoping prices will come down before I purchase anymore, $35 to $50 maybe $60. would be ok (wishful thinking I know) but that's where I'm at. Luckily I have a goodly amount of primers but I'm not paying $100.00 for them plus shipping/ hazmat. I'll take a wait and see what happens. JMHO

jetinteriorguy

I just picked up 5000 Ginex SPP’s for $425.00 and am ok with it. Purchased locally in a private sale so about as good as your going to get these days.

Nick_C_S

Got word from Midway yesterday that they has small pistol primers in. $99 for a 1000 primer brick.

I have a feeling that is the "new normal" - even after the run on primers has ended (if it ever ends). Just general inflation and nominal demand will likely keep the prices at that level.

BUT by the time you add hazmat, shipping and tax it was almost $150.
That's why one should amortize the hazmat fee by purchasing not one brick (1000), but five bricks, or ten. Or toss in some powder with the purchase.

I haven't done the math, but that seems to me like it's cutting the reload-it-yourself-savings too thin.
With all due respect, if you're loading your own ammunition just to save money, then you're doing it for the wrong reason. That is, if you are only loading your own to save money. Those with that single motivation must also account for their time spent doing so. And that alone makes it prohibitively expensive; unless of course, you place no value on your time.

FITASC

Quote:
Got word from Midway yesterday that they has small pistol primers in. $99 for a 1000 primer brick.
I have a feeling that is the "new normal" - even after the run on primers has ended (if it ever ends). Just general inflation and nominal demand will likely keep the prices at that level.

Let's not forget there is a war in Europe going on and the US is supplying a lot of ammo. I suspect the primer/ammo companies prefer large government orders with high profit margins

rclark

Got word from Midway yesterday that they has small pistol primers in. $99 for a 1000 primer brick. I have a feeling that is the "new normal" -
Well, only normal ... IF people are so willing to buy it at those prices. Prices would have to come down if they were just languishing on the shelves.... And from above there apparently are.... I don't get it myself.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

I can generally get prumers for $90 per 1000 local. But its a 2hr drive, and its hit or miss whether he will have what i need. But he generally does