Wheel Gun Show-N-Tell

Bob Wright

This is one of my favorites, a Three-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk:

101_0005.jpg

A .44 Magnum with just shy of 17,000 rounds fired. This gun belonged to my son-in-law, whose father had given him the gun. Supposedly, his father had bought the gun while stationed in Alaska. My son-in-law had read an article in Guns magazine by Lee Jurras about a 5" Mag-Na-Ported Ruger and had Ed Mason cut the barrel to 5". In July, 1979, my son-in-law was killed in an auto wreck and my daughter gave the gun to me.

A few years ago I had the gun color case hardened by Doug Turnbull and the gun reworked by Dave Clements. The grips are Indian rosewood by Lett Grips.

Bob Wright

Ozzieman

I had this gun built back in 1982. It started out as a 4 inch 28. The cylinder was drilled out for 44 special and the barrel is a 3 inch Douglas. The yoke has a ball barring that’s spring loaded and the frame has an indent so that it locks into the frame when the cylinder is closed. (see photo)
The trigger is one of the best that I have ever shot and the double action is constant.
When the gun was done I used a ransom rest and 6 rounds were touching at 25 yards.
This is one gun that no amount of money will get it out of my collection and I carried it for several years.
The number of rounds fired, not a clue but it’s in the thousands and well over 4000.

Last edited:

stu925

25-5.jpg

This one is my very favorite. It belonged to my father who had bought it after seeing Dirty Harry. My father fell in love with Callahan's Magnum but my father always preferred .45 Colt to .44 Mag so he bought himself this S&W 25-5 brand new. I always liked the gun and years later I stopped by his house while he was having a yard sale. He had a big piece of cardboard with a bunch of guns he was selling to finance a move down to S.C. I noticed the 25-5 was on the list of guns to be sold, I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he had no idea I was interested in it. He then went back to his safe and retrieved the gun in it's wooden presentation case and handed it to me. I asked him how much he wanted again and he said nothing, it's yours. To this day I carry that gun in the woods whenever I go out, it's my way of bringing my father with me and whenever my boys see me put that big revolver on my belt and ask why I'm bringing it I always give them the same answer he gave me to that question: "In case of wild Indians".

Stu

Sweet Shooter

This is it. This is all I ever need, Take my rifles and shotguns. But a fool would try to take this away. (.357)

-SS-

Last edited:

Scrumbag

Stu, am with you on the S&W25-5 in 45 Colt. Mine's a 6" bbl though. No real story to this, just my first and only CF revolver. (Thinking a target set up 27 might be nice sitting between the 25 and the 17 6" I have)

ATB,

Scrummy

IMGP0005.jpg

I have several I could show, but my photo skills are lacking...

this is my latest custom... a wildcat 257 "special" uses blown out 22 Hornet cases trimmed to 38 special length, & fitted with one of ( currently 3 styles ) of 25 caliber rifle bullets... gun started out as a new stainless Single 10, was converted to center fire, timed to a new 8 shot 25 caliber cylinder, & a new barrel in 25 caliber fitted... outwardly it looks just like a new single 10, but she packs a lil surprise...:)

257ampextracylinder_zpsaf92b386.jpg

257special_zpsc0aef2ae.jpg

stu925

Scrummy,

Glad to see mine isn't the only presentation box that the foam and felt disintegrated in. I'm thinking of redoing mine this summer, have to see how that goes.

Stu