Whatzit? Mauser

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I was given an old Mauser. The lettering on the top of the receiver ring is partially rubbed away, but "Fabric....Armas" is visible. The lettering is in a curve, with a rubbed-away crest inside the curve. Below the lettering is "OV...00" and below that is an illegible date.

Straight bolt handle, cock on closing. Knurled three-poosition safety. 22" barrel; 2,000 meter folding-leaf sight. The barrel has the common Mauser step-down in diameter, about eight inches back from the muzzle.

I've tried to mike the bore at the muzzle. Groove diameter of 0.285", which is 7.2 mm; land diameter of 0.270, which is 6.8 mm. Obvious average of 7mm. :)

Whatzit?

Art

Andrew Wyatt

If you measure the reciever diameter at forward part and the spacing between the front and trigger guard screw holes, you can tell if it's a large or small ring mauser and if it's mexican or not.

does it have the third lug?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The diameter of the receiver ring is 1.30 inches (33 mm).

The distance between the two screws is 7-5/8 (7.625, +/-) inches.

No third or "safety" lug.

Well, Uncle Ethan, it is sorta ratty-looking. But, hey! People who mess with these critters are s'posed to be the experts. I've just never meddled with any Mausers but old WW II souvenir 98s my father brought back.

Art

yankytrash

Art, take a look at this page: http://www.buymilitaria.com/firearms_for_sale1.htm

There are some Model 1916 Spanish Mausers for sale there who's descriptions look very similar to yours, but all rebarreled for 7.62mm (which would be possible to do with a 7mm). Particularly, "Fabrica D Armas" caught my eye.

I'm no expert in mausers, but maybe that'll steer you in right direction.

Have you asked Harley yet?

swampyMO

Art,

Sounds like an Argentine Mauser to me.....

What you are seeing is probably a crown semi-surrounded underneath by the words "FABRICA DE ARMAS". Below that, straight across is "OVIEDO" and the year. Caliber is most likely 7mm Mauser, the action is small ring.

The one parked behind my closet door at this moment matches the description you give almost exactly, except for length. It is a full length (29-30"??) version (dated 1914) that my Dad bought at a local hardware store for deer hunting back in 1972. He paid $35 for it IIRC. The muzzle is a funnel and the bore is almost smooth. He never could hit anything with it, and in the 2-3 years he took it hunting I don't think he killed a deer with it.

I was only 17 at the time and knew nothing about milsurps. Had I but known, I would have begged him not to do the Bubba job on the stock or I would have gone out and invested in a couple or three of them for myself (Coulda', woulda', shoulda'). Looks kinda' funny with the big long barrel sticking out of the shortened wood.

I sure wish Pop had left this rifle alone. The reamining wood looks like a really fine, light colored French walnut with dark stripes. Finished out really pretty.

About the only thing this one is good for now is a keepsake reminder of my Dad, who passed away earlier this year. It was under his bed for 30 years. I guess I'll hang onto it for that long too.

Hope yours is in original shape and shootable as well.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

Paul B.

Art. based on your description, I'd venture to guess it is either and 1893 or 1895 Mauser, probably the former. caliber is 7x57mm Mauser.
I base this on the following.
Ov OO is probabaly Oviedo, that first O being the letter "D". The Oviedo arsenal was located, where else? Oviedo, Spain.
Cocks on closing.
When you remove the bolt and look at the bolt face, if it is flat on the bottom, it is an 1893. If it is round, it is an 1895.
The illegible date would have been the year of manufacture. They make neat little sports or shooters provided you don't try to soup up the ammo. No problem with most factory stuff, but I'd sure stay away from the "High Energy" and otherhot ammo coming out these days.
Paul B.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Thanks, guys. From that one website, yeah, it started out life as an 1893. The stock got "semi-sporterized"; the butt pad was put on so long back it's now hard as the original steel. :)

Apparently the barrel was cut back to 22". At least, I can't find the data to indicate an 1893 carbine of over 17". The end of the barrel was turned down to accept the original front sight.

I'll put on another butt pad and use it as a sort of plinker critter.

Again, thanx,

Art

Uncle Ethan

Art

I was just sorta surprised, you having been my "go to" guy on guns and cars- I figured this was a test, and that I had failed. I am still depending on your input for my Bear rifle.