What's your working gun.

SnakeLover

My everyday rifle is my .338 A-Bolt shooting 230 gr winchester failsafe bullets. With it, I've taken a dozen african antelope species, from 60-2000 lbs, as well as deer, pronghorn and wild boar here in the states.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I tend to think of those guns as "meat" guns. No playing, time to get some meat.

Handguns - M629 Mountain Gun w/300 grain Federal Cast-Cores.

Rifle - M70 Classic in '06.

Shotgun - M1100

At the first of deer season, I pop a couple to get meat in the freezer, then I like to use different tools.

H&Hhunter

My no B.S. go hunting rifle is a M-70 stainless .375H&H thats been cut to 20" and I've got down to about 8lbs.

I like to carry a 629 Mountain pistol in .44 mag as well.

I just can't seem to do any serious hunting with out those two on my person. My poor little winchester has been all over the world and spent so much time in saddel scabbords and pack frames it's starting to look like a real ugly stick. It's got some real character
:cool:

I'm starting to have some problems with my 629 it's frozen up on me twice now and my gun MD tells me I've somehow bent the frame on it. No telling as many times as I've fallen on it or dropped it or had a horse roll over it (with me attatched) I guess it may be time to find a new one. Or I'll just have to start carrying my .45 Black hawk more often.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Somewhere along the way I've picked up the phrase, "I'm all married up with it." when talking about my Wby '06. I've shot it enough that the fit and feel and trigger are all second nature, reflex, requiring very little thought. Much like a shotgun which fits "just perfect".

Reminds me of my uncle's comment from decades back, "If it jumps up inside of 300 yards, I own it."

:), Art

scotjute

When I lived in Louisiana it was a 1928 Browning Auto in 12 gage full choke. Never needed anything else. I have been determined to learn to shoot rifle and wean myself from 12 gage, been carrying short Swedish Mauser and shooting it last couple of years.

pawcatch

Rifle:H&R Ultra 25-06 topped with a B&L Elite 4000

Shotgun:Mossberg 500

Pistol:Ruger Single Six with the .22lr cylinder in.Killed dozens of trapped predators with it.

Alabaster Jones

My good 'ol Marlin 45-70. My father-in-law gave it to me after h lent it to me on my first hunt. Bagged my first deer(A 6 pointer) with that sweet thang. After that, I'd say my GLOCK 23. Sounds too small for hunting, I'm sure, but it packs well for hiking/fishing, and I don't worry about beating that ugly block of steel and plastic up. Plus, real hot loads and a 22lb recoil spring go a good way toward upping the ante of the .40S&W.

H&Hhunter

Alabaster,
I just wound up with a Glock 20 in 10MM and have been carring it around. Your right you just can't get to upset about scratching your tupper ware pistol. I really like the numbers on the 10MM & the 40 it's kinda like having a 41 mag special.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
H&H, what sort of stock do you have on that '70? I put a HS Precision on mine. Never even fired it with the factory plastic. BTW, still have it if you want it.

When I was in retail gun sales, we sold a bunch of 10mm Glocks to guys who hunted hogs behind dogs. Most popular round was the Hornady XTP - 180 grains IIRC.

Last edited:

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
A Savage 116 stainless weather warrior 30-06, scoped and fitted with a GI sniper sling. Handloaded Sierra 165 gr game king bullets in Remington brass.

A Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum (870) shotgun, 26 inch vent rib barrel (with a 21 in. deer barrel its my back-up rifle, stoked with 2 3/4 inch 1oz max dram slugs)

A Ruger .44 mag Vaquero. (If I'm antelope hunting it could be any variety of pistol, if I'm big game or turkey hunting in bear country its the 44 stoked with 240 gr winchester soft points)

If I'm hunting its usually with one of these.

Exceptions:

Ruger mk 2 5.5 inch bull barrel target pistol, Marlin model 995 .22 cal rifle. Usually loaded with Federal 40 gr copper coated hollow points (minimum weight for small game in Colorado)

I like to handgun hunt with either .357 or my newly aquired .44 classic hunter. However, I always have my Rem 700 BDL SS-DM in .308 + 3x9 Nikon slung across my back....NOTHING gets away from her... :)

Interesting note: when walking / hiking, I carry my G-20. The cool thing about "her" is her serial number... it's

BAD195US

:)

I weigh 195 lbs...and I can make one mean (...no make that "bad") raggidy hole with that gun... :)

Last edited:

H&Hhunter

Gizmo,
I have a spare factory stock from a previous project. I am ging to stock mine with a Brown one pounder soon. But thanks for the offer.
Warrior,
I've noticed something about my G-20 it's been cutting some serious ragged holes for me too!!! I'm starting to really like it and thgink I'm going to use it behind hounds this year, as well as carry it through the summer for a back up on hogs. I used a G-23 last year and had some good luck with it though the 40 was lacking a bit and I have huge hands that don't fit the 23 as well as the 20.

H&H,

Yep, I feel plenty secure behind my g-20. I usually feed her Cor-Bon 180gr. JSPs for the field - they are capable of just over 600 ft. lbs at 100 yds (not the muzzle)... I think .41 special X 15rds is an apt title for a G-20 (assuming you have pre-ban mags). Even so, 10 rds. of such fodder is plenty of 'medicine'...

Zorro

Savage 110, 7MM Remington Magnum with a custom Stock and custom Scope mounts.

That or a Remington 870 12 Gauge.

lilbiggun

My all time rifle I grab is my 458Lott. An 8 lb 21"bbl with open sights is perfect in the woods and will shoot farther than what I can see (accurately) with 400gr X's.

I dont carry a pistol in the woods. My daily carry gun is a G23.

I dont even own a shotgun.

H&Hhunter

Warrior,
Any intell on were to get decent priced pre-bans for my G-20?

Lilbiggun,
I'd say you've pretty well got it covered dude!:D
My .458Lott and I are headed to Tanzania here in about 2 months I can't wait. Aren't you the guy who put in that mercury recoil reducer? If so how does that thing work? Would you install it again on another rifle. my Lott is just a staright 91/2 LB rifle no recoil reducing stuff no porting just a recoil pad. It'll wake you up with warm loads!:eek: I've been keeping my 500gr loads down around 2100-2200 FPS just for that reason. Up around 2400FPS the thing gets a bit raunchy to shoot.

lilbiggun

H&H,
yup, I put the reducer in my Lott. When I get around to getting a 416 Taylor, I will also have one it that rifle also. Some people dont like them, but I'm impressed. I shoot 500gr hornady softies at 2300 and it doesnt bother me. To me they are more than worth the money.

H&Hhunter

Lilbiggun,
Cool I think I might just have to try one.

Oh and as far as shotguns go I just got into a ruger stainless o/u redlabel 12 gauge. Before that it was a an skb 100 side by time will tell but I think that that ruger is gonna be a great all around shot thrower.