What's your general accuracy at the range?

MosinM38

Spent this afternoon trying out a few handguns, (All my own, on my own place,etc. not a actual range).

I was just curious what everyone's range average groups are?

I was shooting my Sig 226 .357(and .40) (My 1911 too, but it's having weird fits. First it started jamming and now it is REALLY throwing shots....sorta freaky).

I got 2 1/2" from a rest at 25 yards, 4 1/4" offhand at 25 yards, and a 8" group at 50 from a rest (Only about 5" right-to-left, rest scattered up&down).

It's a long ways I plan on going. I mean I have already shot alot of rounds through it, but I am planning on really concentrating on practicing and trying to improve.

As a "Goal", I was curious what others do. I know everyone is differant, but I figured maybe there would be an "Average".

Although I can practice some more, I am nearing the best I can do I think. Unless I get laser surgery or something, myeyesight is what's stopping me right now. At 25 yards a 1" orange dot is nothing but a blur.

Leastways, I was curious so that I would have a certain goal in mind.

Thanks.

Maser

Everytime I read an accuracy related thread, it just makes me kick myself for giving my .338 RUM back to my dad and him selling it. Even though that thing had a really brutal recoil and cost 50 bucks just for 20 rounds, it was a real potential tack driver. It was zeroed in at 200 yards and I got 1.5-2" groups at 200 yards until my shoulder started to fatigue and I would tend to anticipate the recoil and my accuracy declined BIG time.

As far as handguns goes, I haven't shot them in quite awhile other than a few rentals at a local indoor range. My personal favorite rental at that range is the Ruger Redhawk. I prefer to shoot .44 specials instead of magnums due to the cost, but it seems I'm more accurate with the magnums than the specials. I start out at 10 yards away and will get about 2.5" in DA mode and a little over 1" in SA mode. I then move the target down to the 25 yard mark and get like 4-5" groups. Yeah, I know it sucks, but I have fun and that's all that matters.

As for my most accurate shot, it was more of a fluke than accuracy. My shooting buddies and I were at our shooting spot and we like to play this game where the shooter is blindfolded and the rest of us get some clay targets and put them in random spots and the shooter has to then find the targets and shoot them all the while standing in the circle drawn around him/her. The object is to find and break them in the fastest time possible. Well, my buddies thought it would be funny to put a target like 200 yards away from me and I could barely see it. I took one shot at it with my Security Six and saw it hit below it. I then took another shot and actually hit it! It was pure luck and something I could never do again in a million years, but it was so freaking cool and still gets talked about to this day by my shooting buddies. :cool:

chris in va

I don't bother shooting 'groups' at a paper target. Rather, I try to put as many shots in COM as possible within a certain timeframe.

In a defensive situation, you'll probably not be looking at the front sight.

Target shooting has it's place, but combat pistols aren't meant for extreme accuracy.

oldandslow

mosin, 6/1/09

The kind of accuracy you need depends on the type of shooting you like to do. If you are doing Bullseye shooting then you would need a very accurate pistol that you can shoot slowly and get tight groups. Conversely if you are looking at defensive pistol shooting then you are looking at putting as many shots into a center-of-mass area in the shortest time possible, usually from a short distance (about 5-20 yards).

First you have to assess the accuracy of your pistol. For defensive shooting I like to have my pistols able to keep a bench rested group within 3 inches at 25 yards. Most full size production pistols can do this easily. If you have a compact pistol the groups may open up a bit. It sounds like your pistols are accurate enough. Next you have to develop the skills for shooting quickly while being accurate, first from a stationary position and then progressing up to shooting while moving and using both weak and strong hand shooting. To learn this correctly you probably need formal instruction do you don't develop any long lasting bad habits. There are a number of quality firearms facilities in most states that offer instruction ranging from basic to advanced pistol use (I did most of mine at the Firearms Academy of Seattle in Washington state).

There are also practical shooting pistol clubs, specifically IPSC/USPSA and IDPA where one can refine one's gun handling skills, many of which may be helpful in a defensive situation. Almost always the shooters at these clubs love to have new members come and join in, and there are shooters with abilities varying from novice to master. It is a good way to pick up good habits and kick the bad ones.

Talk to others at your gun store or range, use the internet to research and you will find a lot of good info. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

MosinM38

I'm going to an IDPA shoot in July if I can swing it.

I was just curious, It sounds like I'm about average from what I can get.

I am mainly going for defensive purposes. Although it is a very hypothetical, Personal Defence instances in my particular area of Montana aren't as likely to be under-5 yards and closing. Although quite possible, I was mainly wanting to be able if I HAD to engage and hit a person at 75 yards (Past that I don't expect a handgun to do it). I more invision a nutcase, a'la Texas tower shooter rather than mugging 9Although i do train for both).

So, I guess I am on the right track ;) Yesterday (2 days I guess), at 15 yards I emptied a Sig 226 (40) in 4.5 seconds, and kept the shots in a 4"X6" circle.

Maser: lol. I know. I managed to head off one case like that. I had picked up a Remington Model 7 in .300 Short action ultra mag for $425 with scope as an "Investment". I did get offered a $30 profit without the scope but....I couldn't. It groups under an inch at 100 yards, easy to pack, and don't kick bad for the first dozen shots. I figured if I sold it I'd just be mad :D...sooooo much for 'Trading material"

My advice on your solution? Go get another one ;) Remington's seem to be "Special" in the terms of accuracy.

Lol, fluke shots ;) You gotta love them.

Chris in Va: One question, what is COM stand for?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Wagonman

I pretty much do the same as Chris, Center Of Mass shooting.

Opinions on two COM one to the head drill?

ZeSpectre

I do two very different types of training at the range.

The high accuracy/precision bullseye style stuff where I'm trying to make one nice hole in the paper, and the "minute of badguy" fast fire self defense drills.

Therefore what satisfies me for each type of shooting is very different.

Well, that's not exactly true since I'll probably never actually be satisfied with my "bullseye" shooting <grin>.

But for self defense shooting I'm happy with keeping things inside an 8" circle

at
-near contact distance

CZ-759mmtarget.jpg

-Around 21 ft
071017_SelfDefense.jpg

-Around 50 ft
TaurusPT-1911_30ft.jpg

And of course shooting speed slows some as distance increases.

Last edited:

MrBorland

As others noted, accuracy requirements are specific to the type of shooting you're doing. That being said, though, like ZeSpectre, I practice both target-type and combat action-type shooting, and I think my target work helps my other shooting, since I'm able to shoot faster and still hit the COM (right now, I'm working more on getting that first COM shot off quickly after drawing from the holster).

As to the question of pure accuracy, though, I'm able to consistently shoot unsupported 1.75" - 2" 20 yard 5-6-shot double action groups with a 4" revolver. I don't know what the gun itself is capable of, but I'd guess it's about an inch or so at this distance.

EDIT:
Although I can practice some more, I am nearing the best I can do I think. Unless I get laser surgery or something, myeyesight is what's stopping me right now. At 25 yards a 1" orange dot is nothing but a blur.

Expecting to see a 1" dot at 25 yards while aiming, is, IMO, a pretty high bar. I myself have decent vision (for someone in their mid-40s who never had to wear glasses), and there's no way I'd see that while aiming. My personal optimum-sized target is about 1" per 10 yards, which, coincidentally is about what I can shoot. Smaller than that, and groups open up because I have trouble establishing my POA. Larger than that, and I'm "aiming too big, missing too big". YMMV.

Last edited:

MosinM38

Lol. I guess I am sorta on the low-end of eyesight compared to the people I know. Maybe I am just around alot of above-normal people.

My uncles can count the tines on a deer antler at 250 yards. A extreme example, but I am easily the worst in that category.

Thanks for all the replies!

I have sorta decided on two things.

#1. Practice rapid-fire,etc. at close range for primary self defence.

#2. Practice for accuracy and self-defence. Try and practice to slowly extend my practical range. Practical range is anything I can keep in 8". Right now that's about 50 yards, but with more practice I can probably up it to 75.

Thanks again!!

My accuracy ranges between dead-on, single, jagged, little holes all the way up to having to guess since not all of them hit the 2ft wide target. It just depends on the day, the gun, and the moment. :)

Doodlebugger45

I'm not sure how to answer. It depends on which gun I'm using, the kind of day I'm having, the load I'm using, the weather conditions, the style of shooting, etc. For my 44 mag with the 8 3/8" barrel, it's common for me to have a 2" group of 5 out at 50 yds if I have a stable rest and all. For my little model 60 with the 3" bbl shooting 357 mags, well, it's not even close to the same. More like 5" group at 25'. But they are designed for different purposes.

Keltyke

Springfield XD9SC - slow fire, offhand, 5 shots, 7 yards, 8" Shoot-N-C, Remington "green box" FMJ.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Target1.jpg
    Target1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Target2.jpg
    Target2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 93