whats your favorite side by side?

Don Fischer

I had a Bernadelli years ago, really nice gun, 12ga. Also had a Charles Daley 500 12 ga with a double trigger. Loved it but somehow my son got it. Today I hve three AyA Matadors and love them also. Have a 410, 28 and a 16, One I use the most is the 28ga. I would like some day to try a Mod 21 but that days isn't getting any closer. I tried a friends Win Mod 23 years ago and that was a nice gun!

Too hard a question. A Holland & Holland or a Purdey, both of which I've shot but do not own.

From what I own, a Stevens 530A 12ga and a cased P. Webley 12ga.

dgludwig

Merkel 147E: Teutonic strong and well-designed, nicely finished and handles well. A 3-inch chambered twenty gauge that weighs under six pounds and points at grouse and woodcock like you were using your index finger in addition to being "relatively" affordable-what's not to like?

FITASC

David McKay Brown, followed by a H&H. On the lower scale, both Arrietta and AyA makes excellent guns.

mulespurs

The best one I could afford

The best one that I could afford was a Browning Bss.
I ordered it just like I wanted it, back in the old days.

12 ga
26" barrels 3" chambers
English style straight grip stock
Oil finish
Single trigger
Selective ejectors

I trapped and put up and sold 20 real good red fox to pay for it.

Then I had two boys that needed shotguns and I didn't have any spare cash so it went to the gun show. Came back with 2- 870's and a 4" Smith 29 in 44 mag. And life goes on

kenny53

Stoger 12 GA coach gun. Always wanted one because I like the look, my bride bought it for me many years ago.

44 AMP

Staff
Ithaca (Flues model??) 12ga, bought by my grandfather, made to his order in 1909. Fluid steel barrels (safe with smokeless ammo) 26", choked full/full. Double triggers, extractor (no ejector) and a 3 position safety. Pistol grip stock with splinter forend.

Not the finest ever made (but quite good, actually) it's my favorite SxS. Having been in my family since 1909 might have something to do with it. :D

I also have a Chinese coach gun, and while its fun, its not my favorite.

BigJimP

Krieghoff Essencia....30" barrels ...in a 20ga ...and a set of nterchangeable barrels for it ...in a 28ga / with some options....upgrade the stock, single trigger, briley choke tubes, deluxe case, a bird inlay on trigger guard, some tasteful scroll work on receiver...nothing too obnoxious...

I left a spec sheet with the price list for options ....and a copy of the catalog on my desk for a few months ...( I know my wife saw it...but it didn't show up for Xmas...maybe it'll show up for my birthday ?? )....:cool:

HiBC

Ithaca (Flues model??) 12ga,
I gave an Ithaca Flues to my Grandson when he was about two.I told his Dad he could use it once in a while. :) He's eight,now.
I gave his Dad a copy of Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy",too.

I had a nice little Ithaca SKB 20 ga double...I don't blame the gun for me missing a lot with it...we just weren't a fit.

I never owned one,but I got to shoot a 20 ga NID ...nice shotgun.

I enjoyed owning a Philadelphia Sterlingworth. Sold it,for some reason.

I love the aesthetics of side by sides. Mandatory non-toxic shot laws .....

I just won't shoot steel through a fine old double.

Last edited:

Ricklin

LC Smith, Parker, Win 21.

Of course it depends on what day it is. Love the classic American doubles.

While the Stevens 311 does reside in my safe they handle like a pig on a shovel.

ocharry

my old hunting buddy gave me a nice 16ga. LC Smith with 2 sets of barrels,,26 imp and mod,,and 28 mod and full,,,he had it re done for me as a gift,,,it fits like a glove,,,i have to say it is my favorite,,SS double gun

ocharry