What's your favorite rifle rest?

What's your favorite rifle rest?

• Total voters

shredder4286

I've been considering getting one of the "lead sled" type rests to steady my rifle with at the range. In the past, I've simply used a padded block for a front rest, and a sandbag for the rear. What's your preffered method for steadying a rifle at the range?

Please include explanations as to why you're partial to the type of rest that you voted for.

That'll Do

So far all I've tried it bags in the front and rear, and that works well for me. I still want to invest in a proper rest, like a Caldwell Lead Sled, or something similar. Gotta have variety.

Ideal Tool

Hello Shredder4286. I have been using a Hart cast-iron front rest for about twenty years now. In the early 90's, I modified it with a custom windage top(Ransom base, my own machined top plate, & changed out elevation screw for a 1" Acme thread..overkill I know..but with Protector bag mounted, it's very heavy and stable. Rear bag is bunny ear protector filled with heavy foundry sand. For the single-shots with lots of recoil, I like the Bull's Bag bench model, also filled with sand.

shredder4286

Rear bag is bunny ear protector filled with heavy foundry sand.

So, with the set-up you've been using, you just set the butt of your rifle in the bunny ear rear rest, then adjust for elevation with the front rest? That sounds like it might be a better/easier way of doing things than trying to adjust the rear.

Ideal Tool

Hello, shredder4286. The way I do it is the same way most bench-rest shooters practice: I get the front rest elevation close..this means about an inch or so above the target center..I am shooting mainly 100yds. Then with right hand..squeeze rear bag until sights are aligned with target..you don't want sights too high before squeezing..better very light controlable squeeze than gorilla grip! You can find alot of neat rests and equipment at Sinclair International Inc. Tell them your new..will send you a VERY nice catalog.

rifleman8

I prefer to use my ammo box with a pad (usually a folded sweatshirt) over it, mainly because I do a little more offhand and prone shooting than benchrest. When I'm hunting, I don't shoot from a bench, so I may as well practice from improvised rests and positions. That being said, I'm sure a "lead slead" is much more steady than an ammo box.

shredder4286

I prefer to use my ammo box with a pad (usually a folded sweatshirt) over it, mainly because I do a little more offhand and prone shooting than benchrest. When I'm hunting, I don't shoot from a bench, so I may as well practice from improvised rests and positions.

Yeah, roger that- I'm going to be hunting in Colorado for the first time this fall, and with the terrain here, I'll be challenged so I want to be able to shoot from more than just a bench.

Jim243

I started with the Caldwell sand filled bags then tried the lead sled type and finally settled on my range bag for a front rest. Easier to use and less junk to lug around, works just as well.

Jim

phil mcwilliam

My mate has a caldwell lead sled, that Ive used for sighting in rifles. I like the lead sled, especially for sighting in, cause it cradles the rifle & holds it perfectly still. You can also make small dial changes in elevation to front or rear of sled to set each shot up perfectly.
I certainly don't think the caldwell lead sled is a must have, & I would not go & buy one, but since my mate has one I'm more than happy to use it & can see its advantages in sighting in rifles.

FrankenMauser

I don't like full-support rests (lead sleds, and similar). They take the shooter too far out of the equation. Yes, I know that's a "good thing" to many shooters, but I need to know how the rifle will perform in MY hands, not how it performs strapped to a chunk of steel and plastic.

A lot of my shooting is done from kneeling or sitting positions. So, the rests don't get used often.

If I do use a rest, it's a Caldwell Rock Jr, and a Caldwell Deluxe rear bag.
They aid me in steadying the rifle, but don't do the job for me. ;)

Kreyzhorse

Uou need an "other" heading on your poll.

At the range off the bench, I'm usually using a couple of sand bags up front and that's it. A bi-pod on occasion if I'm shooting my 7mm Rem Mag.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I use the bench for testing loads or equipment, and use sandbags to take "me" out of the equation. The main thing is that the support remain uniform from shot to shot.

So, a block in front with a sandbag on top of it--and always located at the same position under the forearm as my hand would be in the field.

Sandbag(s) under the butt, again, uniform as to location. Uniform shoulder pressure against the buttpad. I get the sights very close to righteous and then squeeze the bag for "final perfection" of sight picture.

I don't thing there's all that much difference from one system to another, so long as you are uniform, consistent, from shot to shot.

johnbt

I use a rest made by Joe Cowan's students at the GREATER ALTOONA [PA] CAREER AND TECHNOLOGY CENTER. They do a run every semester and plow the money back into their program, although as I recall one time they donated some money to the family of a student after their home burned down. Joe is a tool & die maker and a teacher. And a shooter.

I actually have two, one of the early ones and a new improved one with speed screw, windage top, etc. Last time I looked they were $200 or $250 or so. It's been awhile.

They're famous many places, but especially on rimfirecentral over the years.

John

12153DSCN0116C.bmp

shredder4286

Uh...bipod

obviously that should've been a poll choice

I don't like full-support rests (lead sleds, and similar). They take the shooter too far out of the equation.

I see what you mean. Especially if you're going to be hunting with the rifle. What good does it do if the lead sled gets sub moa when you can't hit a pickup truck at 100 yds?

I don't thing there's all that much difference from one system to another, so long as you are uniform, consistent, from shot to shot.

Roger that. I'd hate to go drop $130 on a rifle rest, then end up using a sandbag and block because I'm tired of lugging the rest around.:D