whats you favorite home defence handgun?

scoops

my colt detective is my night stand gun.but for around the house(in arms reach) i sometimes have my 1991 out or even my glock g 22.latley i have been in the cowboy mode so i keep either my colt cowboy or ruger vaquero in .45 around.a single action cowboy gun is pretty safe to have lying around(no kids in the house just me and the little ladt)because you have to cock the hammer before firing.besides i love to watch a western with a SA IN MY PAW.
:cool:

Depending on what I've had to the range, I alternate.

Right now the Mod. 28 4" is in the nightstand. But it's also often a Beretta 92, an S&W Model 19, either a 2.5 or a 4", or an HK P7M13.

355sigfan

I just grab my duty gun a Glock 21 and attach my M3 stream light. That is until I can get to my 14 inch vangcomped 870 with mmc ight sights and surefire light or even better my Car 15 with a millenium light.
PAT

P

PreserveFreedom

Whatever I was carrying that day. Lately, it has been a Glock 27.

rugerfreak

12 gauge Mossberg pump----the first rack of the slide will put the fear of god into em----the first shell will do the rest----if they're still there to find out. I'm not going to waste my time with an underpowered handgun for a serious situation.

Herr Walther

Depends on what I last shot. Might be any number of different handguns. USP Tactical, Walther P99, P5, Kimber, P88, etc, etc.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
If I'm outside, could be any number of handguns. 9mm (2 flavors); Sig P229 or the SP101. Inside...20ga w/18" bbl.

Erich

Usually a Browning Hi-Power in .40. Hammer-down on loaded chamber (want to have to take an extra step before shooting to ensure I'm awake, but don't want the step to be racking the gun in case my wife has to do it), though I C&L it when carrying.

Right now I'm using the .41 mag. Blackhawk, though. It's the time of year when black bears like to come to my part of town. I know they're just big raccoons, but sometimes they break into houses. I think I'd rather shoot a bear with a .41 than a .40.

Hellequin

Bedside kit:

1.- Glock 30 (Cor-bon 185gr. +p)
2.- Trijicon night sights.
3.- Two spare magazines
4.- Sure-fire 6z combatlight
5.- SpyderCo Harpy folder
6.- Ear protectors.

Just can´t fail. :cool:

Jack Carson

Best Choice: Bushmaster or Rem 870

To quote the masters: "The handgun is for fighting your way to where you can get your hands on a long gun." Too bloody true.

My handgun of choice is a Kimber .45 but my favorite housegun is a Bushmaster stoked up with 20 rounds of HP ammo. Penetration is not nearly as big a problem as one would think and accuracy, power and firepower are better than any handgun.

KSFreeman

rugerfreak, remember, racking the slide of a shotgun is also a target indicator (may be good idea, but can backfire--armor up)!!! BGs are not guaranteed to be stupid or cowardly. Bullets come through walls and have the right of way.

You should have (in order of importance): 1) cell phone, 2) doggie (recon platoon), 3) light, 4) vest, and 5) pistol with extra ammo where you sleep. Put my carry pistols by bed, 1911 and M638.

Fighting after awakening from sound slumber and in underwear is no fun and I cannot recommend it. I look really goofy in my boxers with little hearts. Reason enough to harden house if only to give you time.

taco

I keep one of 2 pistols I shoot most. Sig220 or Kimber Target model. Both loaded with 8+1 rounds of Federal 230gr Hydra-shok plus a spare mag of 8 rounds.

branrot

It depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Usually it's a high cap (at least 12 rounds) 9mm, .40 or .45, but right now, I have a Colt Anaconda in .44 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel in my nighttable. Six rounds of full house .44 mags in the cylinder, another six in a speedloader, and if that doesn't work, I'll just whack them over the head with it!

CWL

Paraordnance P-13 .45ACP w/230g. tritons, proloads, or hydrashocks.

Sig P229 in .357Sig. 125gr Speer Gold Dots.

"When you care enough to send the best!"

etron

Which Glock for Personal Defense

The only thing I'm afraid of about purchasing a 9mm glock is that it won't have enough "stopping power" for a home defense handgun. I won't be carrying or concealed carrying, this will only be a home and family personal protection firearm.

So right now I'm unsure of whether to get one of the 9mm glocks, .40, or even .45.

One thing I do know is that I'm not interested in any of the compact or sub-compact models. Only the full standard sizes.

I'm still unsure of whether to get the compensated or not, and whether or not to get the practical/tactical model or the competition model.

Basically, these are the models that I'm considering.

For the 9mm: 17, 17C, 17L, 34
For the .40: 22, 35, 34
For the .45: 21
For the .357: 31
For the 10mm: 20

Anyone with some knowledge feel free to give me some advice

longeyes

Either Glock 30 (night sights) with 230g Hydra-Shok HPs or Colt Lawman Mk III with lazy-susan of .38 spl +Ps, Glasers, and Magsafes. Nearby is Mossberg 500 loaded with 00 buck.