What's wrong with the Sig P239?

Commygun

I've owned one of these in .40 and think it's a great all-
around handgun. Yet I can't help noticing how often it's
slammed here when the subject of Sig's comes up. Other than
the grip (I have large hands and find the grip just about
perfect) what do people find objectionable about it.
As an aside, does anyone know where I can find a metal
recoil guide rod for it? Brownell's stopped stocking them.

What is wrong with the P239.....Absolutely Nothing!

There is nothing wrong with the Sig Sauer P239. I have the 9mm version. It is my favorite Sig Sauer that I have owned (I have owned the 220,226, and 228 also). I currently have a P239 and P228. The P239 is very accurate (considering the size), and mine has been 100 percent reliable. Of all the Sig Sauer models, I think the P239 is the only one I would never sell. Yes, the 220 and 226 were nice, but I never cared for the light weight frame on a full size gun. Alluminum alloy is fine for compacts, but I can't see an advantage to owning a light weight full size gun. Make my full sized pistols steel (I love the better balance and recoil absorbing weight)! On a side note: I might just get the stainless steel Sig Sauer P220. I am glad Sig Sauer is offering more than just alloy frames now.....

[Edited by GunreviewWebmaster on 04-13-2001 at 12:26 AM]

Marko Kloos

The P239 is an exceptional handgun, compact and very accurate, and chambered in three excellent calibers. For those with large hands, the Hogue grip works wonders, it improves handling 200%. I used to own one in 9mm (first gun I ever bought in the US), and now I miss it dearly. I'll own another one again soon.

Mal H

Staff
I could repeat GW's post title. I have heard several complaints about the grip size and that the P239 is top heavy. But those types of complaints are, to me, only personal complaints. They say that the gun doesn't fit person X's hand or the balance feels wrong to person Y. Rarely, if ever, have I heard complaints about malfunctions or inaccuracy.

I have stated this before in these pages and it is still true: I keep fairly good records on the malfunctions of my firearms and the only one that has a big Zero in the malf column is my 9mm P239. It is also one of the most natural pointing pistols I've tried and it is very accurate.

Mal H:

You took the words right out of my mouth! Of my pistols that have more than 2,000 rounds through them, my Sig Sauer P239 is the only one that has not had any malfuctions--I keep similar records as you do. Some of my newer pistols (Ruger P97, CZ 75 B 9mm, CZ 97B) have not had malfunctions, but they are not close to 2,000 rounds yet (unproven still). The P239 is the one pistol I would trust under any conditions.......

M1911

I also have a P239 in .40. I've posted my opinions on it before, but I'll do so again here. It is accurate and reliable. The SA trigger is pretty good -- not as good as an M1911, but still pretty good. DA trigger is ok. Felt recoil is mild.

Sig's system for takedown is probably the simplest and safest around: lock the slide open, turn the takedown lever, and then remove the slide forward. Because you start from a locked open slide and don't have to dry fire the trigger, I think the Sig's takedown system is safer than Glock's.

I'm not a fan of DA/SA. That's partly a religious issue -- either you like it or you don't. I don't like it. Other people do.

I don't like the fact that the slide stop is in an unusual place -- it's the control lever that is farthest to the rear, rather than in the usual location in the middle. I close the slide using the slide stop with the thumb of my support hand. So for me, the Sig requires a different manual of arms. If you do not use the slide stop to close the slide, then this is a non-issue for you.

The method that you use to close the slide is something of a religious issue. Those who recommend using the slide stop point out that it is faster than sling-shotting the slide. Those who recommend using a slingshot or overhand technique to close the slide point out that it is a gross-motor skill that will work on all handguns. I think both camps make valid points. Choose one and stick with it.

The Sig P239 has a high bore axis. This results in more muzzle flip than many other guns. I dislike the top-heavy feel of the gun.

The gun is relatively tall from the top of the slide to the bottom of the frame (where the trigger guard meets the frame). The slide is also relatively wide. This results in the gun being fairly bulky.

My Kahr K40 is significantly smaller than the P239 and is thus much easier for me to conceal. Though the K40 gives up 1 round to the P239, it's worth it to me for being easier to conceal. I carry the K40. I don't carry the P239.

I'm not saying that the P239 is a bad gun. It isn't. What I am saying is that, like all guns, the P239 has advantages and disadvantages. For me, the disadvantages outweigh its advantages. That might not be the same for you.

M1911

[Edited by M1911 on 04-13-2001 at 11:58 AM]

RH Factor

I have a 239 in a 40 with some hogue grips and it's the gun I carry every day. I'm 6'1" 235lb and my hands are big..the hogues make it just fine. I carry it because of my job and at the range last nite every thing went in the 5X

sig970

I sold my G19 to get a Sig P239. Best thing I've ever done. I haven't seen too many people slamming the gun on this site. I too have big hands, but I decided on the Sig for its single stack concealability. IMHO Sig is one of the most reliable handguns out there. Everyone in my 7 member shooting group drools over it, and beside myself I will soon have two other converts that will use it for concealed carry. Take down, as mentioned before, is safe & easy. I've only had one failure with some under powered home loads. It's eats everything I feed it. I am a DA/SA fan so the trigger is no problem. I don't slam Glocks, but our group has G17 G19 G22 G23 & now a G35 represented. I personally would take the 239 over all of these.

My .02

Der Grosse

I recently had a chance to shoot about 100 rounds through one while I was looking for a new pistol. I was accurate with it, but hated everything else about it. I did not like the ridiculously long DA trigger pull (which actually forced me to change my finger positioning during the pull), the horrible grip(I have medium-sized hands) or the fact that it kept bouncing shells off of my head. I found both the HK USP Compact 9 and Beretta 92FS to be much more preferrable. And while appearance is a strictly secondary consideration, I also find the 239 to be hideously ugly (even the Glocks looks better). But if you like it, who cares what I think?

The P239 shoots great, but doesn't fit me properly. I have to keep readjusting and it's ergonomically wrong for me (or vice versa). The P229/.357 is very exceptional in every way for me, though.

Watch-Six

I've gotten out of the 9mm caliber completely. When I was into 9mms I had a vault full of Sigs. The P239 was a great compact gun. Zero problems and very accurate with 115gr Corbon ammo. It felt somewhat uncomfortable in my hand compared to other Sigs, but overall it is a winner.

jtduncan

It's a nice little gun BUT

1. When compared to the other wonder 9s like the Glock 26 or the Kahr K9, it loses out.

2. Heavy

3. DA/SA

4. Somewhat thick with a stubby grip making accurate shots a challenge.

5. Top heavy and points hard

6. Doesn't absorb recoil well - called my friend's Flipper

7. Costly

I really like full-sized Sigs like the P220, the P226, P210 and the compacts like the P228 are nice, but the p239 is in a real competitive class of lighter CCW guns in 9mm.

I can't even imagine the snap on Flipper in the 40SW and .357 SIG offerings.

Of all of the subcompact 9mm folks I've seen at several ranges in the past two years, only 2 guys had a P239 and he also had a SigPro, another one of Sig's mistakes.

Guns are like girlfriends. What I like you may not. But this is America. It's your choice. I could be smokin crack for all you know. And who in the PHELL am I to talk smack.
Just my opinion from sunny Seattle. ;)

Bob Locke

The first gun I ever bought for myself was a gently-used P239 in 9mm. I owned it for three years, and it hung up on me one time: the first time I took it to the range while feeding the second round. That was my fault, because I didn't clean and lube it a little before I took it out and it had been sitting around for over a year prior. I did the reverse of sig970, as I sold my P239 to buy a G19. I don't regret it, but I do wish I had been of the means to keep the P239 AND buy the Glock. Wasn't in the cards, though.

I, too, am a pretty big fellow (6'3", 275 lbs.), and I never had a problem getting a very good handle on the pistol with stock grips.

The only complaints I had about the pistol are the amount of takeup on the trigger in SA mode and the fact that it is a smidge on the heavy side. Other than that, it was nearly perfect. That, and I decided that I wanted to have the same trigger pull all the time on all my pistols. Thus, the Glock collection I now have.

One of my best range memories involved that pistol. I was at the range with a buddy, and we were shooting the mid-size silhouette targets. I ran the target down to the 7-yard line and proceeded to rattle off eight rounds in about 6 seconds. My buddy started laughing and pointing at the target. There weren't any holes in the middle or anywhere else. He started making cracks about me not being able to hit anything with that little pistol of mine, so I ran the target up close. I had blown out the itty-bitty silhouette target in the upper left corner of the paper. He shut up, and quickly. :D

FratBoyTX

The P239 in .40 is the first hangun I ever shot, and the first (and currently only one) I ever bought. Shoots so well, even my Glock-loving friends like it. YMMV.

CFB

Silent-1

I'm a Sig fan but I don't care for the 239. I have a P225 wich I think is a lot better looking and has a better feel to it.