• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Whats up with all the locked threads????

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Threads are locked because they do not meet the expectations and/or rules of TFL.

Sometimes they're off-topic.

Sometimes they're "drive-bys".

Sometimes they're trolling.

Sometimes they've just degraded into a urination match.

In the Gun Show section the threads are closed by the OP when the item is gone.

Most of the time the Mod leaves an explanation for the closing. If not, just politely PM them, they'll explain.

grymster2007

Cant be innappropriate
Moderators may have a different opinion. Sometimes threads are just off topic, or are heading off topic, or people are starting to get rude, or.....

IBL - I think should read IBTL - I Beat The Lock

Looks like I beat the lock, but I couldn't beat peetza! :)

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Oh I'm sure this thread will get locked too.

When the question gets answered it certainly will.

It will probably be moved also. See, "General Discussion" threads must be firearms related. This should have been in "Support, Questions and Tech Support".;)

pax

The question was answered beautifully by Peetzakilla:

Threads are locked because they do not meet the expectations and/or rules of TFL.

Sometimes they're off-topic.

Sometimes they're "drive-bys".

Sometimes they're trolling.

Sometimes they've just degraded into a urination match.

In the Gun Show section the threads are closed by the OP when the item is gone.

Most of the time the Mod leaves an explanation for the closing. If not, just politely PM them, they'll explain.

Close or move ...? Close or move ...?

Move, I guess. It's definitely off-topic in this forum, and the question's been quite adequately answered, and the moderators as a group (or me personally) will get called names no matter what I do -- but maybe some others will want to weigh in before the dead horse becomes too rancid.

pax

B. Lahey

And some are just endlessly repetitive...

"This thief wants $60 for .380! Get the torches and pitchforks!"

"Where are the primers?"

"HR45 oh no I soiled myself!"

"Walmart doesn't have the ammo I want! Communist conspiracy!"

ilbob

Personally, I had not noticed an unusual number of locked threads lately.

I am convinced there is a certain degree of randomness in selecting threads to be locked and posts to be deleted.

Evan Thomas

ilbob said:
Personally, I had not noticed an unusual number of locked threads lately.

I am convinced there is a certain degree of randomness in selecting threads to be locked and posts to be deleted.

They're mods, not gods... they can't be everywhere. :p

Actually, I've thought the number of locked threads may have been going down a bit lately, after a sort of post-election burst of them... perhaps as a lot of new members start noticing what the culture is around here, and begin to tone things down a bit?

grymster2007

That's it! Bud randomly selects my posts to delete! Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the off-topic, inappropriate drivel I've splashed all over the screen after all! :)

CortJestir

And some are just endlessly repetitive...

"This thief wants $60 for .380! Get the torches and pitchforks!"

"Where are the primers?"

"HR45 oh no I soiled myself!"

"Walmart doesn't have the ammo I want! Communist conspiracy!"

<chuckle> So true. So true.

Trooper Tyree

One thing I have noticed about this site is the number of threads that are locked, I've never been on a site with such prolific locking. It's kind of annoying.

On the other hand, being a mod on another site myself, I understand why they do as they do, although I do think they be a might triggerhappy. :D It is important to have a clear guideline to follow and keep a firm hand however.

A suggestion, instead of locking some of the more trivial drivel threads or those in blatant violation of the T&C's, why not move them into the mods lounge? This keeps the forums from being cluttered up with locked threads, you have a record of the thread, and if a supermod or admin disagrees they are free to move it back, otherwise it slowly fades away neatly tucked out of sight and out of mind in the mods area, and we users don't have to keep tripping over them out in the public area.

grymster2007

A suggestion, instead of locking some of the more trivial drivel threads or those in blatant violation of the T&C's, why not move them into the mods lounge? This keeps the forums from being cluttered up with locked threads, you have a record of the thread, and if a supermod or admin disagrees they are free to move it back, otherwise it slowly fades away neatly tucked out of sight and out of mind in the mods area, and we users don't have to keep tripping over them out in the public area.
Often times locked threads have plenty of on-topic information that would be lost under your suggestion.

Bud Helms

And some members need to see what gets a thread closed. Reading that closed thread and the closing statement gives you a clue or two if you're looking for one ... or two.

I see no value in hiding closed threads. What would that accomplish?

IBTL = In Before The Lock or I Beat The Lock ... pretty much qualifies as a useless post.

Dr. Strangelove

This is the reason I keep returning to The Firing Line. It's a well-run board with an abundance of good information. There are plenty of "wild west" boards out there for those who like that sort of thing. I have noticed a higher number of threads being closed lately, which I think is a good thing. It seems to be stemming from a combination of a large influx of new members with perhaps not so good a grasp on board etiquette and existing rules being more strictly enforced.

Go to the "Tactics and Training" section of this board, find a thread longer than three pages or so and you will invariably see why threads get closed. When they get that long, the thread has generally degenerated into an insult-fest that needs to be taken to email or private message.

IBTL
ibtl_2.gif

Like others said, the reason I spend most(basically all), of my online firearms time here is b/c it is so well regulated.